National Anthems

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by D_Coyne Toss, May 16, 2006.

1. D_Coyne Toss

D_Coyne Toss New Member

I love my Homeland's National Anthem very much. In few words it concentrates Italian history, and the pride of a nation that woke from a thousand years long nightmare of foreign domination, and regained its dignity.

My favourite part is (translation):

Let's unite ourselves!
    Let's love ourselves!
    Unity and love
    Show people
    Lord's ways
    Let's set free
    Our native soul
    United in God's Name
    Who can defeat us?

Any of you has similar feelings to the National Anthem of his country?

2. ClaireTalon

Gold Member

Maybe my feelings for our anthem aren't as intense as yours, but it always sends a tingle down my spine when I hear it.

Is that line about "Who can defeat us?" true? Don't you know the joke about the italian tanks: One forward gear, and four reverse?

3. steve2727

steve2727 Member

Albums:
    Britain has to have about the most sombre, depressing National Anthem on the planet. Which is a shame because there's some other patriotic British pieces that are somewhat more upbeat that would make great National Anthems.

But at the end of the day it's our sombre, depressing National Anthem, so it still stirs some feeling whenever I hear it.

And the Sex Pistols did a great cover :)

4. naughty

Gold Member

Well,

it seems we too like somber things. Your national anthem is one of our most revered melodies but we did change the lyrics. As for our National Anthem growing up near Fort Mc Henry and looking at THE Star Spangled banner on a daily basis, I cant help but feel a personal connection. Depending upon its arrangement it can be somber or jaunty but always stirring....

5. prepstudinsc

Gold Member

Do other countries have people who get up and butcher it as often as people do to ours? Granted, I know that ours has a wide musical range that makes it very difficult to sing, but instead of singing it with any decorum, they try to all be American Idol stars, but usually look like American Idol audition failures when they sing it before large crowds of people. What happened to giving the song the respect it deserves. I won't even touch on the Rosanne debacle!

6. steve2727

steve2727 Member

Albums:
    Unless you count the stadium full of beered up England football and rugby fans that does it before every international game we play in starts, no not really. :smile:

7. JustAsking

Gold Member

I love our National Anthem, but I don't like it. That might sound strange, but I love it because it is our anthem. But I don't like it because it has no sentiments in it that I can relate to. Its a war anthem, and furthermore, its an anthem about fighting the British. At the time it was written, it made sense, but its a notion that has been obsolete for a couple of hundred years now.

Regardless, it still gives me chills when I hear it sung well or when the TV station is signing off with the jet planes flying above the flag and stuff. But I have always thought Woodie Guthrie's This Land Is Your Land would be a great national anthem.

8. ClaireTalon

Gold Member

To me it seems, all or most national anthems are based on the same pattern. They start with a lot of pomp and fuzz, followed by a somber, contemplative midsection, and a crescendo towards the end. First-hand observations from international sports events on TV enhanced that impression with me. Another impression is that they always sound better when they're played as intrumentals, without the singing.

9. kinkymanca

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I am with JustAsking on this one. Love it out of respect and such, but think that it is so difficult to sing, it turns to shit more often than not. but, I still would nto change it. our declaration of independence and constituion are in a version of english that is unfamiliar to most of us, but we wouldnt change it modern american slang would we?

I'm not up on the history of other national anthems, so this is just a guess. ours was written just as a song, and then later adopted as the anthem. but maybe other countries wrote/picked songs with this purpose in mind, and easy singing ability was factored in. again, just a guess.

Claire, I had never heard that one about the Italian tanks. I actually havent heard much in the way of barbs at Italy's military. now the french on the other hand, PLENTY. I had a vast collection of french jokes, and then I dated a french girl for a number of years. that just added to the fire.
    here is one anecdote. her and I were talking about taking languages in school. she said that in france most students took german. I was kind of suprised, thinking that it would have been english, and asked her why german. her reply: "Just in case."

-Kinkyman

10. D_Coyne Toss

D_Coyne Toss New Member

Claire,

i think that joke is pretty true: it has origin in WWII, when a dictature forced us to entry a war we didn't want. Italians showed in battlefields they didn't want WWII.

The National Anthem dates back to Risorgimento (19th century), the re.awakening of our national identity: we were divided in small states, controlled by foreign powers (France, Austria, Spain).

In those years Italian began feeling like a nation, and understood that National Unity was the only way to stop suffering humiliations and invasions.

United, who can defeat us symbolized the power of a new, strong and united nation versus the weakness of the small pre unity states.

However, Bosnia, Afghanistan and Iraq proved we can combat too. We are the third nation by death toll in Iraq.

11. ClaireTalon

Gold Member

I know a few other tanker commanders who were stationed at Italian AB's in 1999's Allied Force, at Bari and Aviano, and I've heard more positive things about the Italian forces then negative. Don't misunderstand me, but the situation was calling for that joke ;-)

I guess many nations have problems with their national anthems. The Dutch hardly ever sing theirs, because the words are honoring Germany more than the Netherlands. The Greek don't sing it all, because it has over 150 (?) strophes. The Germans will only sing the third strophe, because the first and second glorify their past as empire and dictatorship. Russians complained about their new text being a stale copy of the soviet version, without emotions.

12. hunGreek

hunGreek Member

greece's national anthem is chirpy and silly, without a doubt the russian/soviet anthem is the best national anthem of all (musically speaking) its powerfull without silly brass instruments and it shows strenght and power like no other anthem (IMHO)

ps: @clairetalon the greeks sing it all the time, but just the first 24 or so lines of lyrics. as you said the entire anthem is vitrually unknown to most greeks as we learn it (but not memorise it)at high school as part of greek literature

13. D_Coyne Toss

D_Coyne Toss New Member

I know, don't worry. I was only explaining what our anthem means.

14. Mighty Joe

Mighty Joe New Member

I'm with JustAsking. Our National Anthem is too hard to sing and very few know all the words. I think "America The Beautiful" would be better.

Oh...is it true that Bush wants to change some of the words..."Jose, Can You See?":redface:

Draft saved Draft deleted