National Guard Back to Iraq: Breaks Term Limits

Lex

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
From CNN.com

CNN.com said:
National Guard combat brigades that have already served in Iraq may be called for a second tour, likely breaking the 24-month deployment limit initially set by the Pentagon, the Guard's top general said. "When that policy was originally formulated, I seriously doubt anyone thought we would be where we are today," Lt. Gen. H. Steven Blum said.

Full Story

Nice to know that we will just keep using these guys until they are all gone. We knew we did not have enough troops when we went (based on a 1999 scenario that said we would need at least 400,000 troops and that, even then, failure was likely) and STILL we invaded. FUCK.

socoken

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
No Response
They signed up to serve this nation in any manner of which they are asked. If they signed up in the last four years, then my guess is they DID sign up for this. Removing a mass murduring dictator that harbored terrorists from power is not guarding our nation? Aside from that, terrorists from all over the world now travel there to attack Americans, instead of here. I feel safer.

glenroebuck

Experimental Member
Media
A. A mass murdering dictator WE put into power and could have removed in the past 10 years at any time (in fact Bush Sr. had the opportunity and chose not to).

B. There is zero evidence that Iraq harboured any terrorists, rather it has been proven that there was a hatred between Al Quida and Iraq.

C. Lets all count on our hands the number of terrorist attacks Iraqi's have placed on US soil....ummm zero.

D. Let's all count the number of attacks Saudi's have placed on US soil - two come to mind, both on the WTC.

E. Isreal is mass murdering Palastine - where are we..oh wait..Kim Jong Il, oh yeah right bomb...Ghanna, Mbawi??? Ohh we don't give a rats ass abouy genocide in africa they have no oil....

Save the flag waving horse shit - if you want a global war on terror - find and fight the terrorists...we can find Saddam in a snake hole in Iraq, but the guy who orchestrated 9/11 goes free - while on dialysis?? please.

joyboytoy79

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
My brother is a National Guardsman who served first in Bosnia, then in Iraq, and may indeed be going back. He was one of the worst combat zones in Iraq, Ramadi. He was in over 10 IED explosions and came home with 3 purple hearts and various awards and citations and medals and the like.

I argue that he signed up to go overseas-- he left active duty military so that he could be in the US and live a civilian life. As a soldier in the Army, he stayed in the US. Out of the last 6-7 years, he's been gone about 3 of them.

As far as I understand it, the National Guard is supposed to be largely stateside. I just don't understand why we're still sending our friends, sons, brothers, and husbands into combat for a war that can't be won.

It's sickening.

And I'm using JBTs login. Shit. That's what I get for stealing his computer.

Snoozan

taven

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I read an article a few days ago that said 40% of army personnel haven't been in Iraq yet, but many I know have been there twice and are heading back again.

Lex

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
As far as I understand it, the National Guard is supposed to be largely stateside. ...

Hence the name: National Guard.

I like how brainwashed people are to think that is all about anything other than oil. Idiots.

Sure--they signed up to join the NG, but one of the terms was this 24 month limit for service. Don't you just love when they switch/ignore the terms after you sign on the dotted line? Wait--you don't care because you're HERE. Idiots.

I was in Indy last weekend and stayed at a hotel where the Marine Corp was having it's birthday celebration. Every Mariine that me and my friends spoke to-- to a man (over 10) --said they could not WAIT until their terms were up so they could leave. Young, under-trained, leaving wives and GFs behind (who were there as well). Inspiring huh? No, wait--they should LOVE to go kill or be killed right? Idiots.

socoken

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Wow, that will teach me to post in the michael moore fanclub.

Im not here to make enemies, which is clearly what I will do if I say what I really want to. Having said that, I feel some harsh words were spoken that were directly or indirectly aimed at me. But, I will play peacefull hippy and not retort.

As a side note, I was a memeber of the armed forces reserves and served two tours in Iraq, so Im not without experince myself. I realize this is the internet, and no one will believe me. Then again, some people believe all sorts of wild things without any real proof other than what someone said.

B_NineInchCock_160IQ

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay

Im not here to make enemies, which is clearly what I will do if I say what I really want to. Having said that, I feel some harsh words were spoken that were directly or indirectly aimed at me. But, I will play peacefull hippy and not retort.

As a side note, I was a memeber of the armed forces reserves and served two tours in Iraq, so Im not without experince myself. I realize this is the internet, and no one will believe me. Then again, some people believe all sorts of wild things without any real proof other than what someone said.

All sorts of wild things without any real proof other than what someone said? Like who said? You mean the president?

Simple fact of the matter is Saddam and Iraq had little if anything to do with international (or even local) terrorism. Our cause in the fight against terror has been weakened by going to Iraq, not strengthened. We've completely squandered the almost universal good will that we had from the rest of the world immediately following 9/11. We've gone and set up military bases on foreign soil, which was part of what Osama was mad at us for in the first place (our bases in Saudi Arabia), in the process killing hundreds of thousands of innocent people and creating MORE terrorists. All the while validating the anti-American rhetoric that is taught over there, making it near impossible for any more moderate or progressive thinking to emerge. Saying that we can fight them over there so we don't have to fight them here is so completely asinine, not to mention callous and the type of attitude that has made the world hate us. As if 100,000 innocent Iraqi dead is somehow less meaningful than a couple thousand Americans. In addition, there are MORE Americans dead now than there would have been if we had not invaded Iraq. Iraq posed ZERO threat to American lives. Now we've gone in and destabilized the region and sent in thousands of US servicemen do die there for no good reason. Those servicemen would be alive today if not for this stupid war, and there still would not have been any further terrorist attacks on U.S. soil. In fact, we may have even caught Bin Laden by now if we hadn't shifted our focus from Afghanistan to Iraq. Are you also saying that US servicemen's lives are somehow less valuable than US civilian lives because they signed a piece of paper? I don't think that's what you are saying because you said you served yourself but that's where your logic takes you if followed through to its ultimate conclusion. We can fight them over there (US servicemen in Iraq) so we don't have to fight them over here (US civilians dying in terrorist attack). Even if that statement wasn't complete and total bullshit for all the reasons outlined above, you could still make the arguement that you are placing disparate values on different types of lives. Yes, you could argue that the troops signed up to serve America in any way, but I don't think this is true. The National Guard is supposed to be protecting the country. Many of those who sign up expect to never see action (just ask the president). Sending them overseas to some bullshit war may in some way be serving the country, insofar as we are setting up permanent military bases or at least US-friendly government in Iraq so we have a tighter grip on the region that controls most of the world's oil, but it is definitely NOT defending the nation. Serving our interests? maybe. and that's a big maybe. Making us safer and/or defending the country? I would argue that they are actually doing the opposite. Not what they signed up for. Maybe that's more difficult to come to grips with for someone who has actually served, and I sympathize with you for that.

and Michael Moore is a boob, an ass, and a liar. In the same boat as Mark Levin or Sean Hannity. If you happen to agree with the latter it doesn't automatically follow that everyone who disagrees with you is beholden to the former.

Lex

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight

You should always feel free to speak your mind. My comments were directed at anyone in the general American populace who thinks as I described.

At the end of the day, many here have disagreed with one another on select topics and remained posting "buds" as it were.

I have a close friend who served in the first Gulf War-worked with him for 9 years and our families are close. He even wrote a book. I take you at your word until given reason not to.

Lex

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight

Simple fact of the matter is Saddam and Iraq had little if anything to do with international (or even local) terrorism.

Our cause in the fight against terror has been weakened by going to Iraq, not strengthened.

We've completely squandered the almost universal good will that we had from the rest of the world immediately following 9/11.

We've gone and set up military bases on foreign soil, which was part of what Osama was mad at us for in the first place (our bases in Saudi Arabia), in the process killing hundreds of thousands of innocent people and creating MORE terrorists.

All the while validating the anti-American rhetoric that is taught over there, making it near impossible for any more moderate or progressive thinking to emerge. ...

Great points Nine160.

People like to think that other countires hate us because our land is free and prosperous, blah , blah , blah. No, they hate us because we go around the world, to other people's houses, and tell them how to live.

Imagine if I took up residence in your home and started telling you what the fuck you could, should and can't do for the duration. How long before you got pissed? Look how quickly we get pissed here on the Internet for the same reasons.

Insurgent is another word for Patriot. All depends on whether you are the home or away team.

I am sure the British would have called the US soldiers during the revolutionary war insurgents if they needed to spin-doctor truth and perspective.

SpeedoGuy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Hence the name: National Guard.

Yup. They're supposed to be available to serve state governors during civil emergencies such as floods, wildfires, earthquakes, hurricanes, and, yes, riots. Examples: The effects of Hurricane Katrina and the 2006 wildfire season in Montana were worsened due to the lack of national guard units to provide support.

National Guard units are only supposed to be federalized during dire military emergencies, not GWB's war of choice. This is what's called the "back door draft."

socoken

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Great points Nine160.

People like to think that other countires hate us because our land is free and prosperous, blah , blah , blah. No, they hate us because we go around the world, to other people's houses, and tell them how to live.

Imagine if I took up residence in your home and started telling you what the fuck you could, should and can't do for the duration. How long before you got pissed? Look how quickly we get pissed here on the Internet for the same reasons.

Insurgent is another word for Patriot. All depends on whether you are the home or away team.

I am sure the British would have called the US soldiers during the revolutionary war insurgents if they needed to spin-doctor truth and perspective.

If you havent recently, watch Red Dawn again. The similarities with afghanistan are uncanny. Well, in tactics anyway.

About the National Guard, if you sign a contract to be trained to fire a weapon, you should be prepared to fulfill the contract, no matter the branch. The government is not in the business of spending millions on training and college tuition so that the National Guard can wait for hurricanes.

B_NineInchCock_160IQ

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
If you havent recently, watch Red Dawn again. The similarities with afghanistan are uncanny. Well, in tactics anyway.

About the National Guard, if you sign a contract to be trained to fire a weapon, you should be prepared to fulfill the contract, no matter the branch. The government is not in the business of spending millions on training and college tuition so that the National Guard can wait for hurricanes.

Maybe they should recruit harder for the branches that are actually meant to see combat on foreign soil, then.

Lex

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight

So, the National Guard contracts are the same as the Marine, Army, and Air Force contracts?

Wow. I try not to think of these men and women as pawns.