National Sex Offender Registry

B_NineInchCock_160IQ

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I still think that in the end, they have their right to privacy, just like we do. I'm surprised none of these sex offenders have battled it as unconstitutional.

right to privacy is an illusion. Lists of sex offenders is far from the only readily available information about your neighbors that you can find out there. If you wanted some heavy reading you could always look up my driving record, for instance...

eddyabs

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
And again, there's always the assumption that registered offender = child molester, and that's just not always the case.

I never said, or believe that all sex offenders are child molesters, you're taking me entirely out of context there DC...you need to go back and read my other posts before passing judgement, or using me as an example...I don't like being labelled. F***in cheek!

ganja4me

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Jesus there are a lot of perverts that live near me. 4 of them on the same street as me and 24 of them within a 10-15 minute walk.

IntoxicatingToxin

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
To a lot of people, homosexuality is an illness.

The same argument can be had with sex offenders.

I'm sorry... I try so hard to see other people's points of view, but I'm having a hard time getting yours. You're basically saying that sex offenders are on the same level as homosexuals (well, to "a lot of people" anyway.) I don't know what your definition of "a lot" is, but I have never met a person in my LIFE that felt that homosexuality was an illness. I know several people that still think that it's a choice they make, but that's equally stupid, and many of those people are beginning to realize that maybe it's not a choice. Child molestation is an illness. Rape is an illness. To be completely honest, your defense of this situation is beginning to make me wonder if maybe you aren't a registered sex offender yourself. I've never seen someone protect criminals to such a great degree. Have you thought of being a criminal defense attorney? I can agree with you that it's a breach of privacy for them having to be posted on the internet in such a way, but if you ask me, they lost their right to privacy when they crossed the boundaries of young children and raped unwilling women. And yes, I can agree that maybe not every single person on the sex offender list deserves to be there, but I have a feeling that the number of truly innocent people on that list is quite small.

nakedwally

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
While talking in another thread, I got to thinking about how many registered sex offenders are in my zip code. I just did a search here: National Sex Offender Registry and came up with 348 in my zip code, one of which is 0.02 miles from me. :frown1: That's sad.

I have seen this link somewhere else, I think it was on Stupid Boy or some other forum I belong to, Thanks for sharing it again Meg, I appreciate it. :smile:

I would post my opinion, but you guys wouldn't agree and I wouldn't want to upset you guys.

simcha

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I've avoided this topic because I represent an opinion that most people don't like to hear.

I'm involved in the treatment of sex offenders, homeless ones. And here in California it's very difficult for any released sex offender who has served their time to find a legitimate place to live in accordance with all of the restrictions placed on them. Then getting a job is another matter. Employers search sex offender registries and don't hire these people. So, what do people do when they cannot find work and they cannot find a place to stay, and how do they feel toward society? Think about it.

Our penal system is set up on the principals of rehabilitation. We still have a punishment model, but that's not the only goal of our system. All people in our country are supposed to have rights according to the US Constitution and the Bill of Rights. In there you will find a right to privacy, which granted we don't really have anymore. These sexual offender registries are unconstitutional not only on these grounds.

These sexual offender registries also punish, for the rest of their lives, people who are supposed to be rehabilitating or rehabilitated through our system. The punishment is shaming them forever, with their face posted on the Internet with their offense listed. Everyone has access to these lists and can treat these registered sexual offenders as they please, and it's usually as trash.

Rehabilitating from being a sexual predator is difficult enough. All sexual predators were sexually abused as children. While that does not excuse any behavior they do to any other child, it should give others pause. These sexual offenders were victims themselves and they are hurting too. They never got the treatment they needed before becoming predators. That's because our society places next to no importance on mental health. We don't have it as a priority. Therefore it is usually not covered on health insurance, if you can get health insurance these days, to get treatment for having been sexually abused. Therefore, it must come out of your own pocket. Thus most people who were sexually abused as children don't get treatment.

Why do they need treatment? Well, that's because they may become what they hate, the sexual predator themselves. Also even if they never perpetrate (and yes, most don't) they face a lifetime of side effects from the abuse mirroring PTSD.

So, we have people who never got the treatment they needed when they were sexually abused as children who perpetrate. Then we send them to prison and in California we finally give them treatment. Then when they are released from prison they are required to continue treatment. Who pays for that treatment? No one. Who gives these people jobs to help them pay for treatment? No one. Who allows them to live somewhere where treatment is available? No one because our laws restrict them to places where treatment is non-existent.

And yes, treatment does work. It takes a lot of work and it isn't anywhere near 100% or even 50% unfortunately. That's why they need extra support, not extra shame in a very public sexual offender registry. The people I work with feel horrible about what they did. They also carry wounds from having had it done to them as children. They are continually wounded when society rejects them daily as it plasters their faces and profiles all over the place. This does not help in their course of treatment.

Sexual offender registries and making sexual offenders register just reminds the once offender that society thinks that they are scum and beyond rehabilitation. After a while they believe this because well, if you were reminded constantly that you are scum and beyond rehabilitiation wouldn't you?

We do ourselves and our children a disservice when we interfere with the treatment of these sexual offenders and make it next to impossible for them to actually rehabilitate and have somewhat "normal" lives. We set these "offenders" up for failure, to re-offend.

Parents need to be on top of what their children are doing, whom they are doing things with, and where they are constantly. That is a parent's job.

Parents do not have the right to continually shame others who are making attempts at rehabilitiation because they cannot monitor the activities of their children and they would "feel" safer if a rehabilitating sex offender weren't living within 5000 feet of them. Parents create more problems that make it more dangerous for everyone to live in this society when they persecute people to a point where they cannot get a job, live somewhere safe, and access necessary treatment. That is what the sexual offender registry and the laws that go with it create. They do not create safety.

Oh, one day someone will wake up and realize how unjust our penal system is. We have more people imprisoned than any other first world country per 100000. One day we will wake up to realize that as we destroy the rights of others in our own country, we will be stripped of our own rights.

SpoiledPrincess

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Parents need to be on top of what their children are doing, whom they are doing things with, and where they are constantly. That is a parent's job.

I've never had any sympathy with what sexual offenders do but I do admit to having some sympathy with the person themselves, I know first hand what some paedophiles were subjected to themselves when they were kids and they aren't given the help they need to be properly rehabilitated, they're ill and even if their illness is particularly loathsome as a society we have to give them the help we need.