Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
The spud was a staple in much of the west of England also, and in parts of Wales and Scotland - and yes there was famine there too when the spud failed, though not on the scale of Ireland. In these areas the Workhouse system creaked but just about held up so at least people were provided with something.

D_Tim McGnaw

Account Disabled
Media
Straight line, it's just over 51% increase each generation for five generations. It didn't happen like this of course, there were leaner times and times of massively increased prosperity, albeit relative to a very low start point.

The Industrial Revolution did not really impact until towards the end of this period. You are more likely to find the reasons in better health care (medical advances of the time and their availability), more efficient farming and availability of food in bad times.

Ironic given, what happened in 47 and 48 and the Liberal Whig dogma on free markets that lead to 12.5% starving to death and another 12.5% leaving the country. The Tories of the time incidentally, would have pursued policies that would have alleviated the suffering of the famine.

This isn't really my area of history. I'm just an O'connell fan.

Well much of those efficiencies and medical and scientific advances are strictly speaking part of the first phase of the Industrial Revolution which took place in the 18th century. But I take your point.

As to what the Tories might or might not have done with regard to the Famine, we'll never really know that for sure. Though you may be right.

While the Famine was driven by economic factors, it's worth remembering that the economics were also driven by ethnic and sectarian factors, and that when it came to alleviation of the Famine sectarianism played a huge factor.

The term "Soupers" came in to use during the famine, because soup kitchens would only give food to the Protestant starving in many areas, conversion rates went up in those areas as families of Roman Catholics adopted Protestantism to avoid starvation.

Some Protestants (admittedly usually older ones) still make the distinction between old Protestant families and Soupers when talking about other Protestants. It doesn't mean anything these days, but it did mean something very potent for a long time and did so until relatively recently.

Jason

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Ireland Workhouse System in Ireland

Scroll down Jason, you'll find out about the workhouses in Ireland.

Maybe I didn't make my point clear. In England, Wales and Scotland the workhouse system pretty much functioned and people got the basic support they needed. In Ireland, as your link mentions, workhouses stopped admissions.

D_Abraham Slinkin

Account Disabled
Media
In regards to the original question, you've raised a good point which isn't voiced enough.
Nationalism isn't a dirty racist word. The BNP are fascists and nazi's, end of story. Nationalism doesn't have to be fascist or even racist. Being proud of one's history and culture and wanting to promote and conserve them is valued in most parts of the world. In the UK it seems not so. We seem so preoccuped with out pathetic PR Health & Safety 'Dont Risk Offending Anyone' drive that in Britain no one is allowed to be Nationalistic anymore.
Quote a Libdem MP who I shan't name
'Anyone who flies an English Flag is a BNP supporting idiot'

It's the suppression of Nationalism which is fueling the BNPs support. Be proud to be British. Shove Christmas and Easter in everyone's faces, throw roses and sing on Saint George's Day.
It's not going to lead to slipperly slope towards ethnic cleansing like Labour want people to believe.

Digressing a Little - In Camerons drive to Save Money, May I suggest eliminating none-British language support?
Councils up and down the country waste BILLIONS on producing leaflets, letters and telephone services in hundreds of other languages. This wastes money and rewards those who don't choose to learn English, ultimately stifiling integration and only exacerbating the problem of racial segregation. If they spent the money on teaching people English instead this country would be a better place.

liberalcynic

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Neither party is a nationalism, but a politics. they us nationalism - think to yourself, have you ever forgotten what nationality you are?
if no, it's that nationalism which is banally ingrained into you which these political parties are attempting to manipulate.

what's strange in the NBP's case it's English nationalism, not british nationalism which they feed off. ask a supporter of the NBP are you English or British they're likely to say English first because Britishness is based along the ideas of imperialism and empire, which has eroded. with the development of the Scotisch, Northern Irish, and Welsh Parliaments it's hard to see a unified British identity in the UK.