Nationality of members

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by D_Coyne Toss, May 28, 2005.

1. D_Coyne Toss

D_Coyne Toss New Member

I already asked around for my compatriots, now i'd like to have a more accurate statistic. Please note: I KNOW there's no relationship between size and nationality.

2. woskxn

woskxn New Member

Albums:
    I'm from the Former Yugoslavia - Bosnia.

3. prepstudinsc

Gold Member

I'm from the US, but I am of Italian, French, German, Irish, and Swiss heritage.

4. geist

geist Member

Albums:
    how about a creamy anglo saxon blend?

5. Imported

Gold Member

hung_big: I think there should be a "Mutt" option for Nixxy and Jana :D

6. blackwood

blackwood New Member

American

and.............

Austrian, Polish, Ukranian

blackwood

7. Dr Rock

Gold Member

who lives in the east 'neath the willow tree? Sex
    I'm a second-generation immigrant mongrel. my passports are Eire and UK, but I don't really consider myself to have a "nationality" as such. I'm a citizen of the world :)

8. db03

db03 Member

I'm Irish, but i was born in London, so i have both Irish and British Passports.

I also got Spanish residency recently....First step on the road to having 3 passports!!!

9. Altairion

Gold Member

Albums:
    I'm such a mix that I'm not sure what all I have here. The only numbers I know is that I'm a 1/4 Swedish and a 1/16 Native American. From there, it has to be a mix of Irish, British, German, etc.

10. prepstudinsc

Gold Member

Yay for the mutts! In all actuality, most people are mutts of some sort. My Irish side can be traced back to 11th century Flanders, so even that side of the family is not truly pure Irish. Considering that my Italian people came from Genoa and Venice, I'm sure that there is probably some mixture there too, being that both those cities were and are major ports of call. I'm proud of my different ethnic blending it worked out to create something uniquely ME :p .

11. db03

db03 Member

How can your Irish side be traced back to Flanders when thats in Belgium????

12. prepstudinsc

Gold Member

They went from Flanders to Ireland in the middle ages for some reason. That family name when traced goes back to Flanders, no one is really sure why they emigrated to Ireland, but they appeared in what is now the area around County Cork. The problem is that records from the 11th and 12th centuries are so sketchy, one doesn't know if it was as part of some military conquest, or a religious expedition, or an opportunity to better themselves, or what.

13. twista

twista Member

American

But overall I am mostly African American, part Caribbean, Native American and like most Blacks in this country part Caucasian (a very small part, considering my dark complexion). But I do have some features of all especially the Native American face structure.

14. Dr Rock

Gold Member

whoa there. are we talking nationality or ethnic descent now? I always thought nationality just meant nation(s) of citizenship. maybe I misunderstood the original post :shrug:

15. jonb

Gold Member

Lakota. And yes, we are a sovereign state. The U.S. simply refuses to recognize us as such, but we have an "observer" position on the UN. Actually, the U.S. would be just as happy if we didn't exist.

16. Sam1070

Sam1070 New Member

I am from the USA, but I dislike seeing the term America used synonymously with USA. All the other nations in the Western Hemisphere (N. S. C. America) are Americans, too. I know how cumbersome the term is, however. So, I tend to say that I am from the United States.

17. jonb

Gold Member

LOL. I understand what you mean, as I've even been sold-out by Canadians who claim they aren't Americans. :p
    [post=315682]Quoted post[/post]​
    [/b][/quote]
    Don't you mean sold-oot?

18. Dr Rock

Gold Member

well actually, the word's literal meaning is "place of birth" - the definition was originally coined by the romans to streamline their taxation and census systems. various cultures throughout history have put an ethnic spin on the term for political reasons, but for the most part ethnicity and nationality have always been recognized as two quite different things. later on, nationality became synonymous with citizenship, which is the situation we have now.

I do. the only ethnic group which could claim the name "ethnic american" with technical accuracy would be the native americans.

america is a country. the united states of america is a nation.

19. prepstudinsc

Gold Member

LOL Yes, while people in the US are Americans by virtue of living in North America and the United States of America, we are not the only Americans. Anyone who lives in North, South or Central America can rightly say "American", but in general usage American has come to mean anyone from the US, whether or not it's correct.

20. Max

Max New Member

The biggest problem I can see with your classification is this side of the Atlantic: You have offered 'English' as an option rather than 'British', which would embrace the Scots and the Welsh. But even that still leaves a difficulty, because of Northern Ireland you can be both British and Irish.

Nationality is one thing, race is another, so maybe simply UK is the answer. Most Brits are blends of more than one of the home nations anyway.

Draft saved Draft deleted