Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Parents face new charges in deadly Child Neglect case
Posted: April 9, 2008 09:22 AM EDT
Updated: May 23, 2008 07:26 PM EDT
NORFOLK, VA. (WAVY.com) -- New details about a deadly child abuse case in Norfolk. On Wednesday, a judge decided there was enough evidence for the case to go forward. A Grand Jury also met and increased the charges.

Police arrested Heaven Smith and Corey Bryant in April after their 10-month-old daughter Miracle died from malnutrition. Her twin sister Heaven was released from the hospital May 9th.

In addition to the original charges, both parents are now facing Second Degree Murder and two counts of Child Neglect. Heaven Smith is also facing First Degree Murder and one count of Aggravated Malicious Wounding.

On April 8th, police responded to their home on Monitor Way. Baby Miracle was rushed to DePaul hospital in Norfolk, but died about two hours later.
At Wednesday's preliminary hearing, Heaven Smith sat hunched over for most of it, at times shaking and crying, as witness after witness testified about her twins.

Detective Vic Powell described the conditions inside the home when officers arrived, saying the thermostat was below 55 degrees, there were 172 soiled diapers piled up next to the crib and partially eaten baby food jars with mold. He said, in the refrigerator, there was "plenty of adult food".

Assistant Chief Medical Examiner, Dr. Wendy Gunther said Miracle's cause of death was "Medical and Nutritional Neglect".

Dr. Gunther described Miracle's skin as "hanging and wrinkled from severe dehydration, her body covered in a rash and insect bites on her chin," and added baby Miracle, "had no abdominal fat, but her belly was distended because it was filled with hardened feces." She said Miracle's tongue was covered in dots of blood, perhaps from sucking on her own palette in the absence of food.

She testified it would have taken weeks or months for a baby to get this malnourished. In the case of a baby born prematurely, like Miracle, days to weeks.

Captain Martin Marsala testified Heaven Smith told him the twins were with a babysitter for the previous three weeks, while her husband Corey Bryant was deployed, but despite an exhaustive search, police could not locate the babysitter Smith said she found on Craigslist. The last known babysitter they could locate cared for the children in November of 2007.

Detective Powell testified Bryant told him he called home from his deployment every day and his wife told him the babies were losing weight. Bryant said he told Smith to take the babies to a doctor, but she said she was afraid the babies would be taken away. Detective Powell testified Bryant said he figured he'd deal with it when he got home.

Detective Powell also testified Heaven Smith never showed any emotion, until she found out she was being charged with murder.

Corey Bryant's mother is now caring for Heaven.

A trial date has not been set

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• If you click the link to the story you can see pictures of the 'parents.' Neither one looks to be "all there."
  • Which brings to mind the question, how effective can someone with a less than average IQ be in the military (No, jokes please!) I'm serious. :12:
  • I'm not trying to excuse their abusive behavior; but it seems pretty clear these two should never have been allowed to marry let alone bear children.
  • I can't believe nobody in base housing checked in on them!?!

WifeOfBath

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I wonder if Mom has a case of severe post-partum depression or psychosis. What's really sad about all this is that family members and friends didn't check up on them. That's what community is for. It's sad all the way around.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I wonder if Mom has a case of severe post-partum depression or psychosis. What's really sad about all this is that family members and friends didn't check up on them. That's what community is for. It's sad all the way around.
I was so upset by this story I couldn't get my thoughts out properly. I do think that in addition to being slow, the mom is probably mentally ill. In which case being sent to prison will not help her.:frown1:

Dorian_Gray

Cherished Member
Media
Gosh, this kind of stuff just makes me sick. They're children for Christ's sake! Personally I think both should be institutionalized. I think thats worse than being in jail/prison. Lots of other crazies and lots of thorazine.

B_jacknapier

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
I was so upset by this story I couldn't get my thoughts out properly. I do think that in addition to being slow, the mom is probably mentally ill. In which case being sent to prison will not help her.

Since when is prison about helping people?