NBC Airing VA Tech Killer Manifesto

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by faceking, Apr 19, 2007.

1. faceking

faceking Well-Known Member

Albums:
    Quickly stated... NBC did horrific long-term damage by airing that video. They rewarded a mass murder with his icing on the cake, they gave him his end-game. By glorifying him, they have set a deplorable example for others to follow, much less disgraced the fallen so soon after it happened. This isn't media's role... if anything, they should of given it back to the authorities, to allow the families view in private at their discretion. Maybe release it years later on some distant "freedom of information" portal. We've already seen a copycat at UNC. The precedent has been set. Thanks. The bar has been raised.

This is worse than any lack of gun control, mental institution funding, or video game or movie. Libtard media outlet going for ratings. Yeah NBC... you spent hours deliberating on what you'd show or not show.

Disgraceful. What a slap in the face of the family and friends of those killed. Another chunk of Rome starts to fall...

2. B_NineInchCock_160IQ

that video is all over the place now.

I don't see how it does horrific damage, either. The guy is clearly a raving psychotic and not a very intelligent one at that. Anyone who isn't themselves a raving psychotic would see that upon watching the video and probably be less inclined to emulate him. For the families of victims who were upset because they thought they would never know why this asshole did what he did... now they have at least some bit of closure because they can see he was a ranting nutjob.

Libtard media outlet going for ratings? Yeah... Fox would never ever do anything for ratings. If you actually go and try to turn this into a partisan debate I'm going to find you and vomit down your throat.

Also, it's "would have," not "would of."

3. mindseye

Gold Member

As a teacher and student at Virginia Tech, I disagree. By airing the material, NBC has made Cho's mental illness graphically clear, and has helped us to understand the tragedy that has befallen us a little better. Without access to this material, we'd have still been wondering why?

I do believe that NBC has voyeuristically overexposed the material, though -- now that we've seen it, there's nothing to be gained from showing it over and over except to exploit it for ratings.

But the initial airings were a valuable public service for us.

4. Alecia19

Alecia19 Member

Unfortunately we live in a copycat society and my only fear is that the next psycho will try an outdo what this guy has done just to achieve is 15 minutes of spotlight. The less spotlight given to him the better, the focus should be on the victims and families.

5. Principessa

Gold Member

They have as of noon today decided not to air his psychotic ramblings any more.

The shooter was not just depressed, he was psychotic and demented. He has not been rewarded byt televising his manifesto. What has happend is that the country and the world have been given clues and symptoms of aberrant, unacceptable behavior.

I hope and pray that the good that will come of this is that our country will revamp and restructure its mental health care system. It has been woefully inadequate, underfunded, maligned, and understaffed for years.

6. HazelGod

Gold Member

Albums:
    Did someone say copycat? Already happened at my local university down here in Austin. I thought the crisis had passed after checking my email this morning...

DATE: April 19, 2007 - 07:47CDT
    TO: St. Edward's University Students

Update Following Recent Bomb Threats as of 7:45 am April 19, 2007

Background:
    Shortly before 5 p.m. on Tuesday, April 17, the University Police Department announced that a complete and thorough search of the campus had been completed. We were grateful to report that no explosive devise was found. The university reopened at 8 a.m. on Wednesday, April 18, and all classes are being held as scheduled.
    The St. Edward’s University administration and the University Police Department would like to extend our sincere appreciation for the manner in which students, staff and faculty members conducted themselves during the process of evacuation. In the hours that followed as students waited in the rain to get back into residence halls and employees waited for further instruction, the atmosphere remained calm and orderly. We realize that many of you were inconvenienced by arriving at campus and then being turned away. We appreciate your understanding that the safety of our campus community was paramount.

Last Night:
    In addition, at approximately 10 p.m. Wednesday, April 18, the Austin Police Department received a 911 call that was a bomb threat for St. Edward's University. The University Police Department immediately began a search of all facilities on campus. All buildings have been searched and cleared for safety and the university will open for business and normal class schedules by 8 a.m. Thursday, April 19. We will continue to take appropriate action to ensure the safety of our university community based on the nature of the threats.

The following information is provided as a resource for you:

Status of investigation
    UPD, with support from the Federal Bureau of Investigation, the Bureau of Alcohol Tobacco and Firearms and the Austin Police Department, is conducting a thorough investigation into the bomb threat and all possible suspects.

Security continues to be heightened
    The university will have increased police presence supplemented by the Austin Police Department throughout the week. Students in residence halls will experience tighter security. The entire university community is encouraged to be observant and vigilant in the upcoming days. It is important to report to the University Police Department any suspicious activity by individuals or items left unattended that seem out of place. Your cooperation could aid the investigation.

Reporting suspicious activity and security concerns
    An anonymous tip submission form is available online at SEU - University Police: Anonymous Tips. UPD encourages phone calls to 448-8444 or the use of this anonymous form to report activity that seems out of the ordinary or that could pose a security risk.

Resources for students and employees: counseling, campus ministry, EAP
    St. Edward’s University offers a variety of resources for those who need support with the emotional stress that situations like a bomb threat or the Virginia Tech shootings can sometimes cause.

The St. Edward’s University Counseling Center is open to students from 8 a.m.-6 p.m. Monday through Thursday, and 8 a.m.-5 p.m. on Friday. The Counseling Center is located on the ground floor of Moody Hall, Room 110. For an appointment call 448-8538.

The Office of Campus Ministry is located in Mang House (next to the chapel) and campus ministers can be reached by calling 448-8499 or visiting Mang House. Members of the campus community may access the chapel by using their Hilltopper ID card between 7a.m.-10 p.m.

The Office of Human Resources would like to remind employees about the Employee Assistance Plan, available through Alliance Work Partners. If you, a member of your household, or a child away at school has been touched by any of these events and needs someone to talk to, the EAP is available. Call 1-800-343-3822 to schedule an appointment.

Academic Concerns
    Because of the disruption during the night, faculty will be sensitive to residence hall students who have trouble meeting class deadlines. Residential students should talk directly with faculty about their individual situations.

Prayer Service for victims of Virginia Tech rescheduled: April 20, noonIn solidarity with the Virginia Tech campus community, St. Edward’s students, faculty and staff members are invited to gather for a prayer service Friday, April 20, at noon, in Our Lady Queen of Peace Chapel. This prayer service will replace noon mass. We will pray for those whose lives were lost, those who have been injured, and those who witnessed the tragic event.

I should have known better. This just showed up in my inbox:

Date: April 19, 2007 - 11:48CDT
    To: St. Edward's University Students

Update on Recent Bomb Threat as of April 19, 2007 at 11:45 am
    Shortly after we opened for business this morning, the university received another telephone bomb threat. We are working with Austin Police, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms and the Federal Bureau of Investigation to respond to and investigate this latest threat. Uniformed officers are making security sweeps of all buildings now. You are NOT asked to evacuate at this time. When the officer comes to your area, please assist them with the search as requested. Your familiarity with your area will help the officers identify anything out of the ordinary.

Faculty, staff members and students are asked to be observant and vigilant in the upcoming days. It is important to report to the University Police Department any suspicious activity by individuals or items left unattended that seem out of place. You can contact UPD at 448-8444.

Information about heightened security and campus support services is available on the web site at
    St. Edward's University: Marketing

Makes me glad I'm not in any on-campus classes this semester.

7. B_NineInchCock_160IQ

Good points nj.. you are right and there's even more that goes into it than that. They way the court system and mental health system in this country works it is extremely difficult to get someone help should they need it. Though in the case of the killer, I don't think it would have made a difference. Though he gave off hints it doesn't sound like he ever truly confided in anyone. There's a fine line here which, if crossed, might mean we start locking up anyone who's eccentric but not necessarily dangerous and compelling them to get treatment they don't want and possibly don't need.

I'm speaking from a unique perspective here, as on the one hand I don't normally trust mental health professionals much myself, and have had a history of negative experiences with them. On the other hand, my extended family, particularly my mother's family, has had a very extensive and painful history of mental illness and I know how hard it was for all of them to get any kind of help at all, even when they very obviously needed it.

8. dudepiston

dudepiston New Member

From what I've heard this guy was in the mental health system but alas, as NIC said, so you can't force someone to either confide or truly accept the help that's offered. And as much of an advocate of the mental health profession that I am, I've had both positive and negative experiences. It's really very individual. This young man might have just not "clicked" with the professionals that worked with him. It's an inexact science at best, but goodness knows it's better than nothing.

As far NBC choosing to air the videos, sure, damn them. But if they hadn't done so, it would have ended up on Youtube somehow anyway. It would have been on Nancy Grace. It would have (and will) live on, online, for the foreseeable future.

9. B_big dirigible

B_big dirigible New Member

It was indeed another grotesque low point for American journalism. But I don't know about the long-term damage. The media's obsession with - not to mention, deification of - those two little shits at Colombine, has already done that damage, and apparently will continue to do so indefinitely. But NBC could have avoided pissing more gasoline onto the fire by just destroying the tape immediately. Some fruitcake's ravings aren't news; he was a nut, but I think we knew that already, didn't we?

10. B_big dirigible

We don't know that at all.

There was a huge advance in treatment of some disorders some years ago, when modern anti-psychotic drugs were developed, and some psychotic conditions can indeed be ameliorated. But as American society and law are structured, patients can't be forced to take them.

A physician mentioned to me about five years ago that one of his patients said to him, "I've stopped taking my anti-psychotic medications, and I feel great!"

The problem, even in consideration of only a limited class of mental aberrations, is obvious. Just throwing more money at it won't have any effect at all, except to make people think that we're doing something - which is feel-good-ism, and nothing else.

In this instance, just at a wild guess, I'd suppose that the only cure for this fruitcake's problems would be lead poisoning - as turned out to be the case.

11. B_JQblonde

B_JQblonde New Member

What will happen next? My prediction.

Other media outlets will get on their high horse and run segments called "Should the media show stuff like this?" . And then show the tape that NBC showed.

It's a very slick trick they pull to show the tape without taking any blame { WE didn't show it, we're just showing you what THEY showed}

12. playainda336

Gold Member

Albums:
    Unfortunately people all over the country are trying to copycat.

At my school someone pulled out a gun (we have a police station on campus so he was aprehended almost immediately) and at the neighboring UNCG a student was banned from campus after threatening some students.

13. madame_zora

Gold Member

At least it might be a useful discussion if viewers are actually getting involved with telling the media what we want to see. They ignored the public opinion polls during the Clinton "trials" until we finally got it through our thick heads that the only way to make the point is to stop tuning in, stop buying the rags.

I don't mind that it was shown, but we really don't need it sensationalised. The families had a right to know what happened, now they know. I'm glad people are demanding more responsible journalism, I hope it does some good. Normal, everyday people who are not public figures have not given up their right to privacy. Even though some of the families of the victims have chosen to do interviews, some have not and may prefer not to see this psycho blasted through their tv screens for the next two months. Freedom of speech works both ways, the media has to right to report what they want, and people have a right to respond.

14. B_big dirigible

I see that all news reports assume that NBC was the only recipient of this Cho gift set. That would be unusual - when these sorts of weirdos send manifestos, then tend to send them to multiple news organizations.

Perhaps Cho did, and all of them - except NBC - immediately locked them up in a vault somewhere, until they could think of some EPA-compliant means of disposal.

It's not terribly likely that anyone will tell us, it that's what happened.

15. faceking

faceking Well-Known Member

Albums:
    Wow... amazing. Noithing to be gained... he gets immortalized with each showing. He wanted attention, and he got in the grand scale. Not going to get into the motivations of many suicides. He didn't kill 30+ vs 1, because he felt like it. He went for impact... grand scale.

Me thinks the next one, or copycat, does something at a live event... say the World Series, Superbowl, or American Idol...

16. transformer_99

Gold Member

If anything, the media has really started to lay the foundation for a "textbook" case. The day it happened, best of whatever footage they could get. The next few days the guy was described as the psychotic freak that his writings portrayed. And in the past day or so, he was the kid that was ridiculed and harassed. There are many perspectives to this and they are being relayed. In the end, it's tragic, it's what our society has become, our society creates the monsters. Is he nearly as bad as Hitler or Saddam, or is he just the oriental guy that was raised in a strict and proper family, that when placed in a highly competitive American society, was bullied and harassed and finally couldn't take it any more ? I don't condone the end result, but I can surely understand what went down. The other day, the big news was Imus made racist remarks. Was it comedic, or blatant racism. Since we were not the recipient of the punchline, there was vaccilation from the remarks being harmless airplay that nobody heard or cared about to insult and injury. Well this young man was the recipient of the ultimate punchline. When someone tells you to go back to China because of the way you speak and the rest of the class ridicules you, where was his Al Sharpton ? Did anyone care that it happened and subsequent occurences, anyone there to rectify or care that day. Years of abuse take it's toll, a day to day grind. Again, I don't condone VT, nor do I think it was deserved, but I can understand and comprehend, what finally occurred, that was handled by professionals over the course of this individual's life. Is it appropriate to have compassion for that ? I can only answer that for myself, others that were effected and had it hit closer to home will have to reconcile it for themselves.

17. fratpack

Gold Member

Albums:
    With the families of the tragedy of September 11th at least they were allowed to hear the 9-1-1 recordings before they were released to the media thus giving them their own personal moment to grieve.
    As with all things in America it all comes down to the almighty dollar...what a sad comment on NBC.

18. BigA

BigA New Member

It's hard to imagine anyone viewing the video and saying "I wanna be like him". Although I suppose anyone can look cool when they're holding a gun:rolleyes:

19. Shelby

Gold Member

This is a tough one.

I oppose censorship but this gives a roadmap to any crazy sob looking for personal publicity.

I don't know the answer.

20. rawbone8

Gold Member

Albums:
    Our national public (government funded) broadcaster CBC refused to air it. The private broadcasters here aired it but didn't put it on heavy rotation and showed only limited excerpts.

There might be have been some value in showing it sparingly, in a specific context that frames it and aids in the understanding of it, but the repeated airings it is given is truly obscene.

"News" organizations are the bad news business. People have an uncontrollable appetite for rubbernecking at accidents and then immediately wish they hadn't looked. There is big money at stake, and competition is fierce among the media corporations to keep their share.

All of the broadcasters do an ethics song and dance about how difficult these decisions are to make, and that they came to their decisions after much "soul searching". Corporations with soul. LOL.

Draft saved Draft deleted