NBC's Black History Month Menu...Racist?

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by B_Nick8, Feb 12, 2010.

1. B_Nick8

B_Nick8 New Member

New York City, by way of Marblehead, Boston and Ge
    The NBC commissary presented a daily menu that featured, among other things, fried chicken and collard greens which was deliberately prepared by one of the chefs in honor of Black History Month. Almost immediately, the chef, who has a tradition of preparing special menus to highlight special holidays and occasions, was called out as "insensitive" and "racist".

Thing is, the chef is an African-American woman. She explains that she wanted to honor the month and that she wanted to feature things that "other people like to eat and [she] likes to eat". She doesn't understand why people find this offensive and is "disappointed" and concerned that the controversy won't allow her to do something similar in the future. Suddenly, everyone's backing off.

I often think this PC thing has gone too damned far.

NBC Cafeteria Celebrates Black History Month With Fried Chicken Special (Update) | Online | Mediaite

#1 B_Nick8, Feb 12, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2010
  2. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

Who in their right mind would ever find a recipe for fried chicken & collard greens to be "racist"? My GOD, the world has gone stupid.

3. HazelGod

Gold Member

Albums:
    Indeed, it has. We're long overdue a plague or some other large-scale culling of the population.

4. D_Tim McGnaw

D_Tim McGnaw Account Disabled

It would be like someone claiming it was "racist", or perhaps "ethnicist" perhaps, to cook Boiled Bacon and Cabbage for an Irish history week. Certainly it is cliche that Irish people have eaten little more than boiled Bacon (boiled ham) and potatoes and cabbage for a significant period of time, but as with many cliche it contains a significant amount of truth, and indeed no history of Ireland could be complete without mention of a food culture which included the eating of Ireland's most ubiquitous dish.

5. legna

legna Member

You said it brutha. :rolleyes:

6. D_Relentless Original

Albums:
    The whole world is Deranged, PC has gone off the rails and is getting worse, it is causing breakdowns in communities and relationships of all kinds.I was amased at work the other week in a meeting when one manager said to another "excuse me, but your body language is offending me, i don't like you having your arms folded when you are talking to me". the other manager was asked to come out and was spoken to by a senior manager about it. I was amazed.

7. naughty

Gold Member

Everyone is so afraid of being sued these days. There was a case today of a child being called the "N" word by his teacher after numerous requests for him to behave. When I saw that kid on tv I wanted to smack him silly. The teacher be he or she black white or purple should not have used that word but some of these children can take a person there....

8. B_Nick8

B_Nick8 New Member

I thought about suing someone once, but then I realized I was too much of a niggard to spring for the lawyer.

9. naughty

Gold Member

LMAO! THank you for using that word! I want to see how soon someone who has not looked up the definition of it starts to cry foul....

10. Pendlum

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I have never met anyone who doesn't like fried chicken. I'll skip the collard greens thank you, but to me that is a Southern thing, not black.

I never understood the stereotype because I love fried chicken. But I can sort of understand the logic behind why someone would think it is tacky. If you let something like that pass, you give more validity to other stereotypes that are much worse. Actually I should go a bit further with that statement. You give more validity in the minds of those who believe those stereotypes and are racist. In my mind issues like these are often not about offended a lot of people. Don't get me wrong, there are things that are flat out offensive, but most of us agree that we think this is has been raised not because it is really offensive, but the over bearing PC mentality of many. As I was saying though, it is more about not helping those who already believe the stereotypes.

The downside to this is silly things, like enjoying fried chicken, are still taken as seriously as the really racist things, which in my opinion can debasing truly racist acts. To many ignorant people who believe racism is dead, making a big fuss over fried chicken doesn't show them the true gravity of real racism in the world.

Understanding that logic though (if I do understand it correctly), doesn't mean I agree with it.

11. B_Nick8

B_Nick8 New Member

Ha! You caught me (and quoted me) before I edited it to make it even worse!

12. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

Perhaps if the chef made Fried Chicken & Collard Greens everyday for lunch throughout Black History Month, we could sense a problem? Maybe if they served red Kool-Aid instead of Fruit Punch in 40 oz. Glasses we could raise a few eyebrows. But this? Come on...

13. B_Hickboy

B_Hickboy New Member

I guess that makes you a pedigreed niggard.

14. naughty

Gold Member

THe connection of Fried Chicken is in the fact that it is an example of low country cuisine. In the twentieth century, fried chicken became a staple "soul food" and was often used during segregation for long distance fare for travellers because it kept well so it worked well during a time when Blacks were not served on train dining cars and restaurants did not sell to them...

15. B_Nick8

B_Nick8 New Member

Daddy was from Charleston and from his behaviour, my mother always suspected there'd been a niggard in the woodpile, somewhere.

16. B_Hickboy

B_Hickboy New Member

My parents were depression babies and they learned to be niggards from the cradle.

17. D_Chaumbrelayne_Copprehead

D_Chaumbrelayne_Copprehead Account Disabled

Fried chicken is racist? Were the white meat and dark meat kept separate but equal?

18. B_Nick8

B_Nick8 New Member

I didn't know you could learn to be niggardly; I thought people were born that way. Of course, there are those who "pass" occasionally, the "high credits" as we call them, but they're eventually found out.

19. B_Hickboy

B_Hickboy New Member

OK, enough frivolity. The woman who designed the menu is not a racist. She is presenting an accurate menu of what people, especially blacks in the South, ate during the 20th century. It was a good call. Is a Passover Seder racist if it consists of items the people of Israel ate at a previous period in their history? Nope. It's just telling the story, as it was, with accuracy, and without any bullshit P.C. flinching. Oh, the things one can learn when one opens one's mind.

20. B_Nick8

B_Nick8 New Member

It is interesting to consider how it would have been viewed if the chef had been a Caucasian, or Asian, for that matter, man or woman instead. Or, as Whoopi Goldberg said today, if they'd added watermelon to the choices which she said she might have ordered except for the fact that it's out of season.

Draft saved Draft deleted