ND House Passes Abortion Ban

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
ND House Passes Abortion Ban

North Dakota's House of Representatives has passed a bill effectively outlawing abortion. The House voted 51-41 this afternoon to declare that a fertilized egg has all the rights of any person. That means a fetus could not be legally aborted without the procedure being considered murder.

Well that certainly does suck the big one! :irked: :mad:

D_Ireonsyd_Colonrinse

Experimental Member
Media
The bill's sponsor, Dan Ruby (R), says it is compatable with "Roe v. Wade" – the Supreme Court decision which (federally) legalized abortion. But, of course, that's bullshit. This crackpot decision by the North Dakota House is unconstitutional (literally; the Supreme Court decided that most laws against abortion violated a consitutional right to privacy under the Due Process Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment).

The ND bill was written to pose a direct challenge to "Roe v. Wade". It's sometimes called the "Fetal Personhood Bill" (fertilized eggs have the same "rights" as human beings). A similar bill was recently defeated in Colorado. This is a conservative idea that is regularly "shopped around" to many conservative state legislatures - just like anti-gay marriage groups shop their legislation. Proponents of "Fetal Personhood" legislations never hit us up here in California... because we're all tree-hugging, latte-swilling, pot smoking rainbow-flag LIBERALS.

Last edited:

nay-nay

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
i think that's FUCKING AWESOME!

i don't give a shit WHAT the reason is, i disagree with abortion. to me, its the same thing as murder. i especially can't stand if the mother just doesn't want to take responsibility and disposes of it, as if he or she is trash. :mad::mad::mad: i think those "mothers" are cowards! :mad:

even if i was raped and got pregnant, i'd still keep it. i believe every baby has the right to live. every baby deserves a chance. all babies are miracles.

i have no respect for people who choose abortion, whatsoever!

abortion is something that i just do not agree with and i don't think it should be permitted anywhere. i bet it would make people a lot more careful.

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
i think that's FUCKING AWESOME!

i don't give a shit WHAT the reason is, i disagree with abortion. to me, its the same thing as murder. i especially can't stand if the mother just doesn't want to take responsibility and disposes of it, as if he or she is trash. :mad::mad::mad: i think those "mothers" are cowards! :mad:

even if i was raped and got pregnant, i'd still keep it. i believe every baby has the right to live. every baby deserves a chance. all babies are miracles.

i have no respect for people who choose abortion, whatsoever!

abortion is something that i just do not agree with and i don't think it should be permitted anywhere. i bet it would make people a lot more careful.

Yeah, that's the problem with women who were raped: not "careful" enough.

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
lol. i love how you assume that i was saying that. :wink:

There's no need to assume anything, sweetlips. I quoted you.

But why am I discussing anything with someone who can't use the shift key and capitalize "I"?

You're right...never mind.

nay-nay

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
There's no need to assume anything, sweetlips. I quoted you.

But why am I discussing anything with someone who can't use the shift key and capitalize "I"?

You're right...never mind.

i'm a survivor of sexual abuse, i know what its like. if i had ever gotten pregnant, there's NO WAY IN HELL i would give that baby up. but i guess that's just me.

...but why am i trying to explain myself to someone who's going to make assumptions and judge me? :rolleyes:

yeah...nevermind. :wink:

lucky8

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
good way to stimulate the back-alley abortion industry, expect a sudden rise in North Dakota close hanger sales

I would never choose abortion and were I to father a child, I would urge the woman to carry the child to term so that I could be the father.

Part of me is quite torn that men don't get a say in abortion. Half the fetus is genetically me and since I'm male, it's not like I can carry a child.

I believe abortion should be limited to the first trimester.

All that said, I understand the argument for the right to abortion and I support a woman's right to choose. It's not a choice I would ever make, but respect the opinions of other people, particularly women who have to carry the child.

The bit about opposing abortion except in the cases of rape and incest annoys me no end. If you're anti-abortion then I can't understand for the life of me why a fetus should be condemned for the actions of the parents. A fetus conceived by accident is no different than one conceived by rape. A fetus is a fetus is a fetus. Why hold the crime against the fetus? It's still a life, IMHO.

simcha

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I'm sorry, this is just simply gastly. Why is it whenever this country takes one step forward, we find ourselves moving several steps back? Can't we let women have rights over their own bodies and be done with it. Why the backlash now?

All this will do is send North Dakotan women to the next state to get an abortion if they can afford the gasoline to get there. This will affect the poor the most. The poor women will be forced to either live with the consequences of an unwanted pregancy or go to hacks that will allow them to pay whatever they can while they butcher these women's wombs. Where is the justice in this?

Not_Punny

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Look at these pictures and tell me that abortion isn't murder.

By the time OTC tests can detect a pregnancy, the fetus already has "...a vertebral column, a bony jaw and clavicle, a primitive cranium, ribs, a developing nervous system, a closed circulatory system with a working heart, developing eyes, ears, and nose, lungs, limbs, hands, feet, a pancreas, a bladder, kidneys, a tongue, a larynx, a thyroid body, and germs of teeth."

If you don't want a child, use SEVERAL forms of birth control, sterilize yourself or abstain.

Abortions are NOT birth control.

nay-nay

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
what annoys me is that there are ways of preventing pregnancy. if the couple isn't going to take on the reponsibility of their actions, should they conceive a child, they shouldn't have sex at all. can't forget the 1% chance of getting knocked up even while taking birth control.

this girl i went to school with had 2 abortions in high school. it just makes my blood BOIL. :mad: it was as if it wasn't that big of a deal to her.

i just don't see the difference between getting an abortion...and a mother killing her 5 year old child. it is the SAME GODDAMN THING! YOU'RE KILLING THE CHILD!! :mad:

and i think its SO unfair to the fathers who really want their baby, and the mother doesn't. who is she to tell him that he can't raise his child!? :mad:

i think people should take responsibility, or live with the consequences. no one made them conceive the child, they did that to themselves!

abortion should be banned everywhere.

nay-nay

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Look at these pictures and tell me that abortion isn't murder.

By the time OTC tests can detect a pregnancy, the fetus already has "...a vertebral column, a bony jaw and clavicle, a primitive cranium, ribs, a developing nervous system, a closed circulatory system with a working heart, developing eyes, ears, and nose, lungs, limbs, hands, feet, a pancreas, a bladder, kidneys, a tongue, a larynx, a thyroid body, and germs of teeth."

that just brought tears to my eyes. :frown1: