Need a new camera. Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by datdude, Oct 10, 2007.

1. datdude

datdude New Member

Im behind on the times. I have a old polaroid camera. Was looking at digital cameras. Also I like to start putting photos on my hardrive and maybe a picture or 2 of my dick, for this site.

Any suggestions? Looking for a good camera but nothing to expensive. Can I get a good one for 200$?

2. jakeatolla

Gold Member

Albums:
    There are some decent cameras out there, but if you're going to invest
    in a camera then you may want to spend a little more. Spend 350 - 400
    and you can get a really good Fuji with a wide angle zoom lens with
    more bells and whistles than you can shake a stick at. Or, try the Fuji Finepix f30 or f20. They are point and shoot cameras that are loaded
    with features as well.

3. Yorkie

Gold Member

Albums:
    You should be able to find a good camera at that price.The Fuji FinePix that I use would be under $200 and I think it's good value.
    The model I have shoots 10 frames per second for movies,it's ok but I'd go for a higher fps rate if I were you.

4. snoozan

Gold Member

i prefer canon and sony, but whatever you buy, i'm with jakeatolla, buy the best you can afford. from what i've seen, it's not so much about the bells and whistles but the quality of the lens and the sensor. cheaper cameras are going to have lesser quality of one or both, and you're better off getting something that you're going to be happy with for a long time.

5. datdude

datdude New Member

Thanks for the suggestions!! Going to google them and do some research on the brands and models you guys suggested.

I guees I do need someting that takes clear crisp photos. GOing to use it for some nude photos of me and girlfriends.:biggrin1:

6. SpeedoGuy

Gold Member

Albums:
    I have a Sony Cybershot N50 7.1 Megapixel digital. It fits in a shirt pocket, cost less than $130 at OfficeMax and takes great pix.

7. Calboner

Gold Member

Albums:
    You should not have to spend more than $200 for a good digital camera, unless you want to do professional-quality photography. The photos in my gallery were taken with an Olympus FE-230 (7.1 megapixels), which I got a few months ago for $200 (they can be found at lower prices than that). One technical difference to note among cameras in the $120-200 price range is whether the camera uses a small lithium cell or AA batteries. The ones with a lithium cell cost more but are thin and compact: the ones that use AA cells have a big bulge in them. You can get rechargeable AA cells, but the cost of the cells and the recharger is about the same as the price difference between the two kinds of camera, so I think that a camera with a small lithium cell is on balance a better deal.

One point on which I can't particularly recommend the camera that I have got is that, when you are taking a picture with a flash, there can be a lapse of several seconds (edited to add: okay, maybe not several seconds, but it seems like that long) between when you press the button and when the photo is taken. When they showed me the camera in the shop, it seemed to be quite quick, but apparently that was because the lighting in the store was pretty good, and the camera works faster in such conditions. Anyway, if you find this sort of delay as annoying as I do, be sure to try out any camera that you are thinking of getting, or at least read reviews and see what they say about this specific point.

8. B_Think_Kink

B_Think_Kink New Member

I have a Sony Cybershot. It is totally amazing! Hold tons and tons of pics and videos.

9. datdude

datdude New Member

Cool thanks for the suggestions looking at them now.

10. snoozan

Gold Member

Okay, this is just me being really anal, but for a real pro level camera, you're looking at spending at least $1500.

With that said, you can do really nice looking photos for much, much less.

Your images are really nice and for what you're doing with the camera, it seems like a great fit.

I have to say I'm torn on the battery issue. On one hand, the lithium cells that come with the cameras last longer overall and will cost less in the long run, but I've been in situations before where the only thing available to me were AAs. There's something to be said for being able to walk into a gas station in the middle of nowhere and buy batteries. I really like the Duracell rechargeables (2650milliamps) and you can get a 15 minute charger to go with them. I used the rechargeables in my flashes and the battery packs for my flashes, and I carry around a magazine for my camera that will take its Li batteries as well as 6 AAs. Being able to use AAs has saved my ass more than once. But, like you said, the cameras are sleeker and smaller if they take the Li ion batteries.

Most non-SLR digital cameras do this to one extent or another, and when I go back to a point and shoot from an SLR, this drives me insane.

If I were going to buy a point and shoot digital camera, I'd take a good look at this one:

Sony | Cyber-shot DSC-H9 Digital Camera (Black) | DSCH9B | B&H

It's a little large, but that's a really nice lens on there, and I've had great experiences with colors and image quality with Sony cameras.

11. jakeatolla

Gold Member

Albums:

12. kalipygian

Gold Member

Albums:
    I've been using Olympus OM system film cameras since the mid 70's, bought my first decent digital camera spring last year, it's an Olympus Stylus 7.1 megapixel.
    It works better than a film camera indoors, it does have a delay.
    It is frustrating not being able to see the liquid crystal in sunlight, I miss being able to frame things as with the SLR's. It is easy enough to edit and crop things on the computer. The color balance is a little cold outdoors, seems like there should be a way to offset this when shooting, but I have not found a setting that does so.
    The extreme smallness does have it's down side, it is sometimes hard to hold it steady enough, and it is difficult to take a pic one handed, it is akward to try to press the button without moving the camera. It does have a stabilized mode, but indoors the flash usually goes off in that setting, I don't like the way it flattens things out, I turn the flash off unless it is very dark.
    I like it, and have not had the film camera out since getting it. I previously had a 1.5 megapixel digital camera, It of course had low picture quality.
    I would have preferred disposable AA's when I got it, the lithium ion batteries work fine, I bought three more. It's nice having gigabite memory chips now, you can do quite long video.

13. Principessa

Gold Member

I am not a professional photographer; but I really like my HP R817. It takes great pics and because it has good optical zoom, on the rare occassion that I want to enlarge a photo, I can do so without loss of clarity. I got it at Target in August 2006, I think I paid about $150.

14. aos773

aos773 New Member

I want to buy a camera that makes it possible to take pictures where my penis looks bigger than it actually is. :) Any suggestions? Is it the cameras macro mode that is important for that purpose? Is minimum 5 cm macro ok?

15. thadjock

Gold Member

Albums:
    if u have a 5cm dik u need a surgeon and a donor organ,

not a camera:eek:

16. Incocknito

Gold Member

I got this camera (Nikon Coolpix P60). Takes very good pictures and takes very good quality video but only in good light. All cameras that aren't dedicated video cameras suffer from poor video in low lighting.

Check out the sample photos. I bought mine for about £70 and it came with a free SD card.

Nikon Coolpix P60 Review - PhotographyBLOG

17. Enid

Gold Member

Albums:
    My home is wherever reality seems elastic and the
  18. transformer_99

Gold Member

You're probably gonna want a camera that takes raw image format, so I'd opt for a mid range camera that goes beyond the $ 200 or so models. Canon, Nikon, Pentax and the like. Jpeg format is ok, but just me, sometimes I take a picture of something that I'm really proud of or like and then you can use the higher quality raw format to make a real picture out of it ? Sell a few/enough framed pics and the camera is paid for ?

Draft saved Draft deleted