Need advice (investment)

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by lucky8, Aug 27, 2009.

1. lucky8

Gold Member

I know this isn't exactly the right place to ask this, but I'm just trying to find out what other people would do if they were in my position, because I'm really split on a pressing decision I need to make, and don't really feel like talking about it with people I know in person.

So I bought stock a few months ago for the first time, I was really just planning on holding it for a couple days because I felt it was severely undervalued (and it was), but it shot up in price so much the next couple days I decided to hold on to it. I only bought shares in 1 company, so I'm not diversified whatsoever, and I'm beginning to get really worried that it might lose some of its gains in the next couple months, not because its overvalued, but I think investors are ready for a winter pullback.

The stock is currently up 97% from when I purchased it. I don't know if I should sell it or hold on to it for even longer? I have no need for this money right now, so part of me says hold on to it for a couple of years. However, another part of me is saying don't get greedy and just take the money and run. I'm young, so I can afford to take the risk, however I'd be kicking myself in the ass if I sold it for a 70% gain rather than 97% (naturally). I know there are some business/finance savvy people on this site, many of whom have much more experience than myself...what would you do if you were me? It's starting to really stress the hell out of me

...the company in question is Apple btw

2. Bob Ross

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Have you since diversified/put more money in the market?...If not, its a no lose situation: you already doubled your money so pull out half and take the money you made and invest it in something else and leave the rest in Apple. This way if it shoots up again you still make money and if it tanks you lost nothing over the course of the whole thing...EVERYTHING has ups and downs...I'm sure it will steadily rise over the long run 'cause its a good company but you happened to buy it during a sharp upswing. Everyone says "what if?" but don't get greedy; spread it out and play it safe.

3. Bob Ross

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    By the way, i'm assuming you bought it sometime between Nov of last year and Mar of 2009 when it had tanked....

Draft saved Draft deleted