Just Browsing
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
If I want to pick up a cylinder and pump seperately, what will I need in order to connect everything? Does the Harbor Freight pump, for example, come with vacuum tubing? The cylinders I'm looking at are this one or this one What, if anything, will I need to purchase to connect the pump to the cylinder?

Brand new at this, so I'm a little overwhelmed with info at the moment...

Thanks!

Last edited:

smurfpotter624

Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I can tell you that the Harbor Freight pump does include some miscellaneous parts and hoses, but I wouldn't use them with the cylinder.

According to the LA Pump website, their cylinders include a female quick-disconnect, but no hose. Most likely, you'll need a hose, and a male quick-disconnect.

Torque8

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Have to agree with roddthewadd64....eleven years of pumping and I won't consider any other brand. All my cylinders and connections have been vacu-tech. Hand pumps with gauges are a better buy at an auto-parts store. Just ask for a pump intended for bleeding brake linings.

okc_smoker

Just Browsing
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Thanks guys. At this point I'm planning on the Harbor Freight pump. I've pretty much narrowed it down to the VacuTech or LA Pump cylinders. I found the VacuTech cylinder at Mr. S Leather for quite a bit cheaper than the VacuTech website. Anyone know of any other retailers that carry VacuTech cylinders that I could check out?

Media
Thanks guys. At this point I'm planning on the Harbor Freight pump. I've pretty much narrowed it down to the VacuTech or LA Pump cylinders. I found the VacuTech cylinder at Mr. S Leather for quite a bit cheaper than the VacuTech website. Anyone know of any other retailers that carry VacuTech cylinders that I could check out?

For some reason I figured pumps would be a bit more expensive...that's not a bad piece of change :smile:

lakecreeker

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I have in the past had luck getting tubing to work with the pumps at the neighborhood The Home Depot. It is on a big roll and they cut off to the amount you need. I recall they had prices for both feet and inches on it. I believe it was at the time in the areas where the sump pumps and pond pumps are displayed in our store.

Rikter8

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
The connector is a CTC fluids connector. You can get them from various plumbing houses, for quick connects.. or you can order the connectors from one of the vendors. CTC makes quick connects for the biochemical, medical and food industry.

The harbor Freight pump is perfect - nothing wrong with it. It will work fine.
You may need to change the tubing based on the size of the CTC quick connect. Not a big deal.
You can get 25' of it at HOme depot for a few dollars. Nothing special on the tubing.

Stick with Vacutech tubes or NW Pump works.

Torque8

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay

Anyone looking for cheaper cylinders, should go to ebay.

vacuum pump cylinders, great deals on Health Beauty, Business Industrial on eBay!

I've cleaned up and sold a couple of my smaller cylinders there; both were in excellent condition after cleaning them up. Also can occasionally find some bargains on craigslist.

FrankCastle

Just Browsing
Media
Anyone looking for cheaper cylinders, should go to ebay.

vacuum pump cylinders, great deals on Health Beauty, Business Industrial on eBay!

I've cleaned up and sold a couple of my smaller cylinders there; both were in excellent condition after cleaning them up. Also can occasionally find some bargains on craigslist.

In reference to this post, do most cylinders have a standard-sized
valve? I bought a vacutech pump+cylinder combo, which I am enjoying greatly, but I think I will need to move up a size very soon and I would rather not pay $100 for a cylinder if I can help it. I bought the 1.75" because I was between sizes for the 1.75 and 2.0 and wasn't sure what I should do.

So am I relatively safe with most of the cylinders on ebay recommended by torque8? I am specifically thinking of one like this http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-MAGNUM-Vacu...ltDomain_0?hash=item19b868dd3b#ht_2101wt_1165 . The valve certainly looks the same, but I'd love to know from anyone who has experience.

Last edited: