Need help with exercise and diet regimen!

douchenbaggin

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Hello all, im looking to begin a new healthier and more fit lifestyle.

Dont get me wrong, im pretty healthy and active, but after taking nutrition class at college ive realized I could do more to improve.

Besides the dietary concerns, im also looking for more mass muscle gains.

Ill start by laying down some facts and statistics about myself, then exactly what it is im looking for.

Im 19. I weigh 160 lbs, and am 5'10". I have large, broad shoulders for my size, as well.
My diet usually consists of things like sandwhiches, sweet tea and lots of water and milk. I primarily eat decently, probably under the amount of calories for my activeness.

I go to the gym about 2-3 times a week, where I run for at least 1.5-2 or more miles and then continue to do strength training of a couple smaller reps on the bench press, some tricep machines and then focus on abs.

With that said, for all you health/exercise knowledgeable people out there, Can anyone help me figure out an eating plan that isnt over the top or drastic, but simply helps me focus on a less fat intake and more complex carbs?

Also any consistent strength training like what reps or cardio routines I should do? (specifically, amount of reps, and gym days and amount of rest days)

I know this is lengthy, but any help at all would be greatly appreciated.
I just bought the perfect push-up btw, if that can be added to the routine.

B_JasonDawgxxx

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
You need to add more protein into your diet. Becareful of those mass gaining drinks. They are very high in sugar. Try adding tuna, chicken, fresh veggies into your diet. I cut out most white sugars, flours. But Im not ultra strict about that.

surferboy

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
first off, stay away from those mass drink things! besides being extremely unhealthy, all you gain is water mass. once you stop taking those mixes, you'll deflate. also, stay away from anything that messes with your metabolism. basically, stay away from suppliments in general.

you need protein brah. eat a lot salmon, shrimp, and chicken breast. that builds muscles. real muscle

you're gonna need one personal trainer. if you don't workout correctly, you can damage your muscles, tendons, ligaments, etc. also, you can end up building your body into an awkward shape, and you might not be happy with the results

so bruddah, all the best! keep up up to date with how you progress!

douchenbaggin

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Oops, pardon my spelling :x.

Ya I have noticed I need more protein, I should get on that.

Currently, im happy with my chest and upper body, im really just focusing on my abs and biceps/triceps.

For the abs, I need to shed a few pounds cause they are well defined (been like ever since I was little from swimming) they just need to be more predominant.

I guess im doing something right because all my friends say ive gotten huge since theyve known me and I was even accused of taking steroids because of my upper body build :/.

Thanks for the tips, but one last question... when working out and youve done enough sets for that day or session... and you wake up and you feel that soreness/tenderness..
Is that to be expected? and how do you know if youve taken it too far? I usually wait 3-4 days as a resting period. Is this too long or exactly how does that stop/start cycle work.

Well, that was more than one question :p.

erratic

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Do not forget to focus on your lower back and legs. The lower back is the maybe the most commonly-injured body part for people getting into fitness, and messing it up can mess you up for a long, long time. Also, people in non-soccer-playing countries tend to get obsessed with their upper bodies and forget their legs. For your health, for a good distribution of power, and aesthetically, making sure your legs and glutes are in line with the rest of your body is key.

Otherwise, what those guys said.

As for your last question, soreness is normal and good - a sign that you've challenged your body. Soreness that lasts more than 12-24 hours after a workout is worrisome. Pain is a sign you've gone too far. Personally, I feel that if stretching afterward feels good, then the soreness is fine. If stretching induces more soreness or pain, I've gone to far.

douchenbaggin

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Yea, I understand how one sided that can look, very top heavy lol.
A couple of weeks ago, I started working on my quads and hamstrings, my legs are my strong point since ive skateboarded all my life, calves are nicely sized.

That sounds about right, its never pain just that soreness and slight tenderness. Im not sure how long it last, probably no more than a day. But when stretching it usually feels so good I do it throughout the day. Hopefully im not reversing the effects by overloading my workout.

douchenbaggin

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I also just bought "the perfect push-up" advertised on tv, where you do a push up and the handles swivel for a "natural feeling"

Ive heard it works wonders, and ive always been weak in the area of push-ups.

They have various techniques for different areas along the upper body, do you think this would be a good source for the different groups of muscles or would it be neglectful to other muscles? (not counting legs, since I run)

(sorry for the double post)

D_Eric_the_Bred

Experimental Member
Media
I also just bought "the perfect push-up" advertised on tv, where you do a push up and the handles swivel for a "natural feeling"

Ive heard it works wonders, and ive always been weak in the area of push-ups.

They have various techniques for different areas along the upper body, do you think this would be a good source for the different groups of muscles or would it be neglectful to other muscles? (not counting legs, since I run)

(sorry for the double post)

I've tried them and they feel pretty intense. If I were to start using them I would recommend doing 'girl' pushups at first so that your body gets used to the new motion.

douchenbaggin

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Ive heard the same from a body of mine, he enjoys the shit out of them. To start out it gives you a calendar style of exercises to follow, so I think ill follow that to be on the safe side.

eastbaydude

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
It doesn't sounds like you're overweight - 160, 5'10 sounds OK. BUT... you can make a few changes - little by little - without impacting the way you live. Cut out the sugar in your beverages. For your sandwiches dump the mayo and cut back on the bread. In fact, you can replace the bread with extra meat. Or, trade a few sandwiches for salads with chicken or fish. If you're not drinking fat free milk, start.

If you're not overweight, you're probably OK with your cardio program. Focus your extra gym time on weight training. I use a 4-day program of focusing on back and biceps one day, chest and triceps the next day and legs and shoudlers the third day then the 4th day off. You can do ab work every day and finish each workout with as many push-ups as you can do - then do a few more.

If you aren't comforatable with each exercise, try working with a trainer of find a workout partner. Form IS important. Nothing says a guy has no idea what he's doing than biceps curls that are all over the place, don't isolate the muscle and are done with weights that are far to heavy for him.

It sounds like your your shoulders are in good shape. You're lucky. I have the hardest time with shoulders. I'd kill for naturally big shoulders.

Good luck.

erratic

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
That sounds about right, its never pain just that soreness and slight tenderness. Im not sure how long it last, probably no more than a day. But when stretching it usually feels so good I do it throughout the day. Hopefully im not reversing the effects by overloading my workout.

Hey, what every trainer I've ever known has told me is if you don't feel it you didn't do anything. The soreness comes from the microruptures in your muscle, which is what needs to happen to tell your body to grow.

As for reversing the effects - and maybe this is flogging a dead horse - the only time I ever found that happened to me was when I wasn't eating enough protein. I was losing weight, or not gaining any, because I wasn't eating enough protein. You basically want to be consuming one gram per pound of bodyweight while you're building. Some people say more. Protein shakes can work if you don't know how to cram any more protein in your diet. Just watch out for their sugar content. They'll often try to hide it by calling it lactose or sucralose or what have you.

chrispet

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
the soreness comes from lactic acid build-up in the muscles, make sure you are drinking plenty of water after your workouts and try getting a massage at least once a month, to aid the body in the detox process as well as helping to get rid of the soreness. And a dietary change I would make is to stay away from dairy products, ie milk, mucus forming.

douchenbaggin

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Thank you eastbay and everyone, these are very useful tips.

I want to do this whole eating good and exercise right, so everything is greatly appreciated.

I like the idea of the 4-day workout, but I have to add is it because youre already built? or could I start that, but with smaller reps?

If you dont mind, what are some reps I should start with for biceps, triceps, abs and back?