Need Help With Homophobic Parents, Please Read

akexandra90

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Hey everyone! Sorry I've been silent, trust me when I say that I open this thread daily and read every single one of your answers. I've also been processing all this new information, reading and watching all the links you sent me. I'm also still trying to make a decision of what exactly I should send to my dad. I want to say thank you to everyone that commented and to those who will comment after this post. I will continue to read the answers and I'll keep you updated (for those who are interested in the outcome of the situation). I have to say it feels good to have a group of people that supports me this way. Sometimes even my real life friends (most of them are not gay) do not get at all where I am coming from; so I truly appreciate all of you who shared your thoughts and experiences with me and provided a spark of light and hope in the midst of all this darkness. I'll talk to you soon! :)

cedarizzo

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I never told my parents about me I don't know how they would have handled it, they weren't against gays, but they were very old-fashioned, they're both gone now,I only wish I had the guts to tell them , you're very strong,I really admire you so much, maybe if they met people their own age who are gay it might help them to deal with it better good luck to you,I hope this all works out for you

One of my biggest regrets is that I never talked to my mom about me being gay. My parents were pretty cool, they were more on the liberal side and very understanding people, but when I was 19, I was just starting to come to terms with me being gay. That was the same time we found out my mother had cancer. So for the next 3 years, I hid everything from my parents. I didn't want to do anything to cause problems. Unfortunately she never got better and she passed away when I was 22 years old.

About a year before my mother had passed away, a coworker outed me to my sister. My sister seemed to take it really well. But then the next night she called me up crying wanting to know why I would be gay and what caused it and she told me to never tell anybody in the family.

About a year after my mom had passed, my father had started dating a new woman who had worked with my mom for many years. When I would talk to my father, he started asking a lot of questions that made me think he knew I was gay. So for his birthday that year, I wrote him a very long letter, told him about how I had known I was gay for a long time, I had come to terms with it while my mom was sick and that I had started seeing a new guy (my first serious boyfriend) and I was very happy in my life. He called me up and thanked me for the letter and he wanted me to know that he was happy that I was happy. From that point, my boyfriend was included in all family events.

About 8 years after my mom had passed away, my father took his life.

I eventually came out to everybody in my family. Most of them are super religious and that has caused a few problems. I have an aunt that is very religious and she has lived with her very butch, female roommate for about 40 years. They live together. They vacation together. They own 2 houses together. They do everything together. In the early 2000's, my grandparents were wanting a family picture. At the time, I had been with my boyfriend for 4 years and wanted him in the picture. As far as I knew, nobody had a problem with him. But my aunt pulled me aside and told me that the picture was for family members only. I told her that he was my family, and she replied that her "roommate" wasn't going to be in the picture. Her roommate never wants to be in any pictures, family or non-family pictures. Her roommate always appoints herself to the be photographer so she won't have to be in any pictures. She just doesn't like her picture to be taken. My aunt then said that my grandparents didn't want him in the picture, so I asked them right in front of her, and they both replied they would love for him to be in the picture. She was pissed off, but I was happy he got to be with me in the family picture. Later that year, he had a major heart attack and died. I will always cherish that picture (and the others). I am so glad I stood up to my aunt to include him in the picture.

Reactions: ohiorod and NCbear

cedarizzo

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Wow! , That's quite a story I still haven't told some of the people in my family,I wish I could,I really envy you

Honestly, the only reason my entire family knows is because my sister was never able to keep it to herself. Her and I had agreed that I would come out on my own pace. I was never going to tell my grandparents and I seriously doubt that I would have told most of my aunts/uncles/cousins. But thanks to my sister, everybody knows. Her and I had a LOT of discussions about how she really needed to get over my sexuality and to stop introducing me as her gay brother. I am her only brother and she just need to deal with it.

Coming out isn't easy and I truly believe that coming out is a very personal journey that you must do on your own, at your own pace when you are ready for that journey. Sometimes that journey never gets started and sometimes there are only a couple of stops. For some people, they do their journey very loud and proud and they let everybody know. You have to do what is best for you. And only you can decide that.

wsnki07

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
Rough man. My father died before I ever had a chance to meet him and part of my hesitation was my fear of his and my extended families reaction to me.That's how debilitating fear can be. There was a beautiful quote made about sexuality which goes like this

"Queer people don't grow up as ourselves, we grow up playing a version of ourselves that sacrifices authenticity to minimize humiliation & prejudice. The massive task of our adult lives is to unpick which parts of ourselves are truly us & which parts we've created to protect us.It's massive and existential and difficult. But I'm convinced that being confronted with the need for profound self-discovery so explicitly (and often early in life!) is a gift in disguise. We come out on the other end wiser & truer to ourselves. Some cis/het people never get there. All of this to say- be kind to yourself. Discovering who you really are is an enormous task. It doesn't happen overnight, nor does it happen without some hiccups along the way. Be patient, be compassionate, be vulnerable and exist loudly. And most of all-be proud."

Like some posters already echoed, it's important for you to set the tone that your sexuality is perfectly fine. Diversity in sexuality is a beautiful thing and nothing to feel any shame for. My mom has said a lot of homophobic things and I reached a point where I decided that my happiness was more important than my mom's approval. She avoided saying homophobic slurs after I came out, but she avoided the topic. The more I focused on internalizing my self worth, the better I was at attracting like minded men to connect with. My BF and I went to a Pride/BLM protest last month where she finally texted me happy pride and how happy and humbled she was for the man that I became.

You got this man. It may be your personal journey but you're not on it alone!

Others who have made comments on your post have added helpful personal histories and referenced numerous things to watch and read.

During the introduction of your thread, you mentioned that your parents and family were very religious and followed Catholic teachings. Several times you mentioned concerns that being gay is not natural. There is a good chance this discomfort about being “natural” comes from your religious teachings.

Before you can make your family comfortable about you being gay, you will need to become more comfortable with it yourself.

What follows is a link to a presentation made by a Protestant minister. He came from the Baptist tradition and was trained as a lawyer. Please watch the whole thing. What he says is intended to help you understand how some Christian religions have become confused about what is natural.

Your dad might benefit from seeing it too.

Even people who don’t believe in the Christian belief system can pick up some strong challenges for any one is anti gay

Holiness – A Queer Concept

Reactions: wsnki07

"Expecting them to give you their seal of approval though may be like spitting in the the wind. As a parent my daughter's sometimes do and live differently than I had planned or hoped that they would. As a parent I have earned the right to tell them I don't agree with this, this, and this."

I hope I'm not derailing too much here, but I think the typical parent-child dynamic that you've described might be a somewhat moot point. Sexuality isn't an action, or even a lifestyle. It's an immutable characteristic. Although it's preaching to the choir to say that on LPSG, I wanted to say that because it explains why it hurts even to have parents who disapprove, while in all other ways showing they love you. I once directly asked my mother, years after coming out her, "do you think it's okay to be gay?", and she could not say it. I hope the OP is a person for whom forgiveness and understanding come very naturally, because dealing with a tolerant but judgemental religious parent is a bit of a mind trip. A few years after she said that, it finally dawned on me that I had always been willing to sacrifice more for her/them than they had been willing to sacrifice for me. Like many children of judgmental religious parents, I had been willing to sacrifice my own joy and self acceptance to maintain their approval or to maintain connection. That is a much greater thing to give up than what they stood to lose... old inherited societal prejudices, minor doctrinal points...

Personally, I don't think think it is wrong to expect that a parent should give their seal of approval. I think that it's fair to expect mutual sacrifice from people who love us. I think relationships of all kinds are either equal, healthy, and reciprocal, or not. It's simply that dealing with a judgemental parent requires really strong boundaries, and a really strong sense of self. In my own personal experience, I would have a very hard time believing that my parents love ME (not "their child", be me) when I think of their attitude about me being bi. The only way I know how to shake that feeling is to be justifiably a little ticked at them; in other words, having that boundary. When I put that boundary firmly back in place, then they become much more like my flawed parents who love me, and much less like two people who I need to approve of me.

Oops, typo.............I meant to say, I would have a very hard time believing that my parents love ME (not their child, but me).