Need Help With Jury Duty (NY)

D_Harry Bacque

Just Browsing
Media
I live in Queens NY and I got a letter about 6 months ago, a "Juror Qualification Questionnaire". I filled it out, mailed it in and nothing ever came of it. Two weeks ago, I got another "Juror Qualification Questionnaire", the same exact letter. I haven't even mailed it in yet, and I got a "Summons for Jury Service" letter.

Several things confuse me. The questionnaire letters I kept getting were from the Brooklyn Federal Courthouse. This summons is from the Long Island Federal Courthouse which is quite far away from my home. Also, when I take the participant # on the questionnaire form and enter it into the NYC jury duty website, it seems to think I live in Clinton County NY, which is the upper most part of the state hours away.

Regardless of all the confusion, this is quite possibly the worst time for me to get called for this. They want me to start calling everyday for two weeks on May 31st, my boyfriend is graduating college June 3rd and I want very badly to be there. I'm not looking to avoid serving jury duty, but I'd like to delay it. Is that possible for someone in my situation or do they not give a shit that someone close to me is having a special day?

Also, if I'm able to delay it, how far do they push it back? My brother is getting married June 18th and I'm the best man. I wouldn't be much of a best man if I miss the wedding for jury duty. What can I do about all of this?

Edit: I found this website that supposedly allows you to do it directly online, but when I put in my information from the paper sent to me it says "You currently are not a serving Juror! Please Contact your County Commissioner of Jurors. The phone number is located on your summons." The only phone number on my summons is the automated one to start calling on the date listed.

Last edited:

molotovmuffin

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I would call in the morning... You can ask to be deferred to a different month in most cases. I live in KY not NY so ymmv.

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Unless they have changed it you should be able to postpone it by phone when you call at the appointed time. Otherwise you can report and ask for an extension.

cdunstan1

LPSG Legend
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
NY state jurors serve in the county they reside in. I'd call for a postponement and see if they can tell you whats up.

Not that I am advising this, but my brother has blown off 2 summons and he's still walking the streets. Don't be intimidated by the process.

Source:
NYJuror - Questions and Answers (FAQ's)

Q ] Can jurors postpone jury service for a later date?
A ]
You can postpone your service once by calling 800-449-2819 at least one week before your date of service. Have your juror index number (from your summons) with you when you call. Pick a date between 2 and 6 months from the date on your summons and you will be assigned the available date closest to your choice. Any future postponement request or request for excusal from jury service must be made by calling your local commissioner of jurors office.

If you cannot serve even if granted a postponement, you may contact your local commissioner of jurors office and ask to be excused from service. The commissioner may ask you to provide documentary proof of the reasons why you need to be excused.

john_hiemer

Loved Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
So basically you want to know how to get out of it.... If it is a grand jury case, you will be there for an extended period of time. You will be interviewed by prosecution and defense attorneys, voir dire. Your main goal is to make them feel that you cannot decide fairly in the case presented. This is done in many ways:

A) Your racist. I'd suggest getting a membership card from either the Black Panther Party or the KKK. Simply stating your racist no longer works, they want proof. Be prepared to ham it up.
B) The Justice system is[FONT=verdana,arial] unfair[/FONT]. You plan to set all your down trodden brothers free. Tell them the legal system is flawed and it only prosecutes the minorities or those that do not have the means bankroll for defense. Again you may need to elaborate on this.
C) Medical excuse. Find a quack, have him write up a medical file saying you have a herniated disc in your back (it happened while you were installing a new toilet, dont ask). Get a script for oxycodone to manage the pain. Explain to the judge that the medication interferes with your decision making process.
D) You can legitimately delay it if you can prove a substantial financial loss. This sometimes takes alot of documentation, ie tax returns, a note from your company.
E) Shovel down about 4 cans of beans the night before. Show up wearing a 18th century english style powered wig and a tutu and say "i will be the judge of that" repeatedly. Dont forget to bring a gavel.

If it is a civil trial, don't sweat it, they are normally only one day- about 4 hours long.