Need Italian language help

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by cougarblue, Dec 3, 2009.

1. cougarblue

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Buena suerta (??)

I have no clue!!

I am going to a party in a few days and there will be lots of Italians there.

please help!!!!

I want to make a good impression (and be a little flirty too!)

How do I say ?????

-Hello

-You are very sweet

- You are very sexy (!!!)

-Good night

- Thank you

- I would LOVE a glass of white wine

Anything else I should know ?????

:tongue:

2. scottdajok

scottdajok New Member

Albums:
    Dude I can totally help your Italian out.

3. Principessa

Gold Member

Use Babel Fish, it's great! :cool:
    I did a semester in Italy so the basic greetings I remember even though it's been 13 years.

Thank you - grazie

Thousand thanks - mille grazie

You are very sweet - Siete molto dolce.

You are very sexy - Siete molto sexy.

Good afternoon - Buon pomeriggio

Good evening - Buona sera

Good night - Buona notte: When you mean you are going to bed.

I would LOVE a glass of white wine - AMEREI un vetro di vino bianco.

You are a very handsome man. - Siete un uomo molto bello.

I have no gag reflex. - Non ho riflesso del bavaglio

Just in case there are women present:

I LOVE your shoes! - AMO i vostri pattini!

That's a beautiful sweater. - That' bello maglione dello S.A.

That's a beautiful handbag. - That' bella borsa dello S.A.

4. D_Fiona_Farvel

D_Fiona_Farvel Account Disabled

NiceNYCDick speaks Italian and might be able to help with the translation.
    If you take home a hot one, and I'm certain you will, I recommend asking him what spagnola means and then follow up with lecchi mia dolce sorca. Works for me. :09:

5. nicenycdick

Gold Member

Albums:
    It's so easy! Use Ciao (chow) to say "hello" and "goodbye" (it is informal but this is a party.) Molto Bene (Mohlto Beh-nee) means "very good"...and works with many different questions. Don't worry much about using verbs...much of Italian uses irregular verbs and you're not gonna learn that overnight. But if you want white wine, just say Vino Bianco, per favore (Veeno bee-ahnco, pear fay vor-ay..."white wine, please"). Most Italians (especially those who travel) speak english well enough so that communicating will not be a problem. And, of course, if you run out of things to say, just use the language of love...Italians understand that very well!

6. Wish-4-8

Gold Member

I will help:

Buena suerta (??) That sounds more like Spanish, but its not. An attempt at "Good Luck" or Buena suerte. I think you mean: "Buona sera", which means "good evening." in Italian.

I have no clue!!

I am going to a party in a few days and there will be lots of Italians there.

please help!!!!

I want to make a good impression (and be a little flirty too!)

How do I say ?????
    The italics will be the English pronunciation so you dont look stupid saying these words. In other words, read it as if you were reading English.

-Hello
    Ciao. prononced "Chow". Its also for goodbye.
    But a better way to introduce yourself is by saying, :Bon Giorno (bone jore-no) if its in the morning or day.
    If its evening, then: Buona sera or Buona notte. (make a glotal stop between the "t's" in notte. (Note-tae)

-You are very sweet
    Lei e molto dolce.
    (Lay eh mole-toh dole-che)

- You are very sexy (!!!)

-Good night
    Buona sera
    (Boo-oh-nah seh-ra)
    If you are leaving then Buona notte is more appropriate, see above.

- Thank you
    Gratzia mile.
    (grawt-sia mee-leh)

- I would LOVE a glass of white wine
    Vorrebo molto un birchere de vino binaco
    (Voh-reh-bow mole-toh oon bee-care-ehy deh vee-no bee-an-ko)

When you are leaving, good bye is either:
    Ciao (chow)
    or
    Arivaderci
    (ah-ree-vah-dare-chee)

Here are some more basics:
    Nice to meet you.
    Un piacere de conocerelo
    (oon pia-chair-hey deh koh-no-chair-low)

I like Italian.
    Mi piace il Italiano.
    (Mee pia-che eel ee-tah-lee-ano)

Now how flirty do you want to go? You let me know how dirty you want it and I will oblige. Here are some come ons:

Why dont we go have a drink?
    Perche no andiamo a prendere qualcosa da bere?
    (Pear-keh no awn-dee-amo ah pren-dare-hey kwall-ko-sah dah bear-ehy)

7. xxnineinchxx

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    How do I say ?????

-Hello - Ciao

-You are very sweet - Sei molto dolce

- You are very sexy (!!!) - Sei molto sexy

-Good night - Buonanotte

- Thank you - Grazie

- I would LOVE a glass of white wine - Mi piacerebbe gustare un bicchiere di vino bianco

:tongue:

8. D_Anton_Pavlovich_Jerkhov

D_Anton_Pavlovich_Jerkhov Account Disabled

Now, don't get me wrong, but I think you should limit yourself to speaking English. Your Italian, even with the best of your efforts, will sound broken, and that is a too beautiful a language for anyone to slaughter like that, sorry. Saying "ciao" is enough. If you want to call anyone's attention, it is not really through speaking a broken version of their language, but rather through your attitude. You may ask them to teach you a few words. I think that's a better way to start.

9. highgrounds

highgrounds New Member

-Hello: ciao! --- come va (how is it going?) come stai ( how are you? )
    va bene ( its going well ) .. sto bene ( am fine )
    tutto bene ? ( everything's okay? )

-You are very sweet ( sei molto dolce (for both sexes) You are very cute ( sei molto carino/ carina if it is a girl)
    you are beautiful ( sei bello/ bella for a girl )
    You are very handsome ( sei molto figo/ figa for a woman )
    you are really gentle ( sei veramente gentile) you can use molto as '' very ''

- You are very sexy (!!!) (sei molto sexy )

-Good night ( buona notte )
    Good evening ( buena sera )

- Thank you ( grazie ) (ti ringrazio)

- I would LOVE a glass of white wine ( Mi Piacerebbe avere un bicchiere di vino bianco )

i tried to add some stuff there lol hope it helps good luck

#9 highgrounds, Dec 4, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2009
  10. Calboner

Gold Member

Albums:
    I am sorry that I did not see this thread earlier, as much of the advice that has been offered is unsound. As others have said, I think you should just speak English, since you can't possibly learn enough Italian to make any kind of conversation without a good deal of study. However, since some false information has been posted here, I feel obliged to correct it.
    Using a computer translator for a language that you don't know is always risky. "Vetro" means a pane of glass, not a drinking glass. "Glass of wine" is "bicchiere di vino." I am not sure of the translation of "gag reflex," but I think that the word in between "riflesso" and "bavaglio" should be "di" rather than "del." "Amo i vostri pattini" means "I love your skates." "I love your shoes" would be "Amo le vostre scarpe." The last two items are scrambled. Translating the word "that" into Italian is tricky anyway, because whether you would say "questo" or "quello" depends on the context. Better to say "Che bello maglione!" ("What a beautiful sweater!") and "Che bella borsa!" ("What a beautiful purse!").

This is, of course, to set aside the complexities of which form of address would be used. Italians do not much use the "voi" form in addressing people individually any more; however, it is certainly understood, and nobody expects someone who is merely reciting phrases to get things exactly right. (More about forms of address below.)
    Unstressed "e" is not pronounced "ee"; it is pronounced like a short version of the vowel in "gate." "Bene" is (approximately) "beh-nay," not "beh-nee." And the first vowel in "favore" is a short version of the vowel in "calm": approximately "fah-voh-ray," not "fay-vor-ay."

The phrase is "buon giorno," not "bon giorno." "Buon" begins with a "bw" sound, and the vowel that follows is midway between that of "bond" and that of "bone"; if you pronounce "aw" differently from "ah," then "bwawn" would approximate the sound pretty well. "Giorno" is indeed "jore-no": just note that it begins with a "j" sound as in "joke," not a "zh" sound as in the French "jour" (a mistake that is commonly made). Saying "note-tay" might sound a bit ridiculous. The vowel in the first syllable is "aw" again, so that the word begins like the word "naughty," but the vowels are short and the "t" is held. As NJ said, however, "buona notte" is NOT used in greeting but only when departing or retiring for the night.
    The snag here is that this uses formal address; so it's a bit like saying, "You are very sweet, Mr. So and So." One might have occasion to say that, but it is more likely that one would be using the familiar or "tu" form: "Sei molto dolce" ("Seh-ee mole-toe dole-chay" -- using "ay" to represent the vowel in "pay," though ideally it should be short when unstressed, as here).

That is not grammatical. The word is "grazie" (plural), not "grazia" (singular; "gratzia" is a misspelling); and the vowel is "ah," not "aw." "Graht-tsee-ay meel-lay" would approximate the sound.
    Only three of the seven words in that sentence are actually words in Italian; the other four are garbled. The correct words are "vorrei," not "vorrebo"; "bicchiere," not "birchere"; "di," not "de"; and "bianco," not "binaco," which sounds like a breath spray.
    The latter expression should be "arrivederci" -- with "vay" (as in "Oy vey!") in the third syllable, not "vah." "Vedere" means "to see"; "rivedere," "to see again"; "rivederci," "to see ourselves (i.e., each other) again"; "arrivederci," "until we see each other again." Thus the expression exactly corresponds to the French "au revoir" and the German "auf Wiedersehn."
    I'm afraid that is, again, garbled. "Conscerlo" (not "conocerlo") would mean "to know him" or "to know it." People will wonder whom or what you are referring to. The polite form is "Un piacere di conoscerle" ("Oom pyah-chair-ay dee ko-naw-share-lay"). However, Italians commonly say simply, "Piacere," and I recommend it to you, as it gives you far fewer syllables to stumble over. (And there is no "hey" in it: the sound "h" does not occur in standard Italian.)
    "L'italiano" ("lee-tahl-yah-no"), not "il italiano."
    That is almost correct. The second word should be "non" (pronounced like "known" -- NOT nasalized as in French!), not "no."

#10 Calboner, Dec 4, 2009
  11. Wish-4-8

Gold Member

Well, I tried to get the pronuciation as close as possbile, but the American dipthonge will give an American accent.

I mean, she is trying to be cute and flirty. And from what I understand about the Italian people, they are receptive and appriciative when a foreigner makes an attempt at learning their languange. (not like the French) So for a hot babe like Ms. Cougarblue to spew a few words out in "Italian", it may play well with the men.

12. B_Stronzo

B_Stronzo New Member

buona sera = standard greeting from 1:00 p.m. until one is done with the evening.

How do I say ?????

-Hello: Ciao, salve, buona sera.

-You are very sweet = sei dolcissimo (but it's awkward)

- You are very sexy (!!!) = sei sensualissma(o)\e

-Good night = Buona notte (only when parting for the evening or going to sleep)

- Thank you = grazie

- I would LOVE a glass of white wine = mi piacerebbe molto un bicchiere di vino bianco

Yes.

Sto sborrando (I'm cumming)

Ti piace i pompini? (do you like head?)

Come sta? (How are you? - formal - "Come stai" - informal)

Che combini (VERY informal meaning "what's happening")

Dove il gabinetto? (where's the bathroom?)

Che bel viso (what a lovely face you have)

Mi piace moltissimo conoscerti (I'm very pleased to make your acquaintance)

Your Italian's basically so good I assume your "Bon" here is a typo. It's Buon Giorno.

No. Your pronunciation is off. It's not pronounced like "bone". It's pronounced "bwon gee OHR no" (roll "r")

Every vowel in Italian is enunciated.

ASSOLUTAMENTE!!

It's to be avoided at all costs.

:eek::eek::eek::cool:

#12 B_Stronzo, Dec 4, 2009
  13. Calboner

Gold Member

Albums:
    ^ And yet you chose the word "stronzo" for your alias!

14. D_Fiona_Farvel

D_Fiona_Farvel Account Disabled

^he's the one that taught me spagnola. :wink:

15. Maxime_

Maxime_ New Member

SORRY GUYS!I AM ITALIAN!please do not translate into Italian if you don't know precisely.....I've seen so many mistakes!!!if you want to teach something,at least be sure of what you are teaching!;-)

How do I say ?????

-Hello= ciao!

-You are very sweet= sei molto dolce!

- You are very sexy (!!!)= sei molto sexy!

"sei" always means "You are",in case You need it!

-Good night= buona notte!

- Thank you= grazie;you're welcome= prego

- I would LOVE a glass of white wine= mi piacerebbe molto un bicchiere di vino
    (much easier= posso avere del vino? "can I have some wine?"

A few adjectives you may need: bellissimo/meraviglioso= wonderful
    bello/bella= handsome(male)/pretty(female)/beautiful
    carino/carina= cute,nice.For males: carinO,for
    females=carinA
    normale= normal
    buono=good
    male= bad
    brutto/brutta= ugly
    cesso/cessa= very ugly person!

Magnifica serata!= wonderful evening!
    Parlo poco italiano= I speak a little italian
    Come ti chiami?= what's your name?
    Piacere!=nice to meet You!
    Come stai?= How are you?
    Mi chiamo .....= My name is.....
    Questo è il mio numero= this is my phone number.

In case You want some extra vocabulary or you have doubts about italian stuff,contact me in private!at least you're sure not to make mistakes!good luck and have a good time at the party! DIVERTITI!(=have fun!):-D

16. Calboner

Gold Member

Albums:
    But surely my post was all correct?

17. B_Stronzo

B_Stronzo New Member

It is, dear Calboner, easily my favorite slang word in the entire language.

"uno stronzo" ... has a nifty ring to it :wink:

Just noticed my own error. This is wrong. Since "pompini" is plural it should, properly, read "Ti piacciono i pompini?'

Surely you jest.

You're posting here and your English is not without flaw.

How else does one learn if not to make a mistake and be corrected?

#17 B_Stronzo, Dec 4, 2009
  18. Calboner

Gold Member

Albums:
    I think he meant not that one should not venture to write in another language without being completely in command of it but only that one should not give linguistic advice to others in such a case.

Here, by the way, is the book from which I learned the word "stronzo":

Merda!: The Real Italian You Were Never Taught in School

19. B_Stronzo

B_Stronzo New Member

I think, Calboner, that Italian has more slang dirty words than any other language. Last time I was in Venice I was given a book written by a Venetian listing SOLELY Venetian dialect dirty words.

Gotta love me some Italian :tongue:

20. Calboner

Gold Member

Albums:
    Oh, but Venetian is quite a different kettle of baccalà from Italian! (When I was traveling in Venetia years ago, I made sure to try that particular regional specialty. Verdict: yuch!) According The Italian Language Today (Anna Laura Lepschy and Giulio Lepschy, 1988), the equivalent of the standard Italian sentence "Andate a casa, ragazzi!" ("Go home, boys!") in Venetian would be (I am transliterating their phonetic transcription into Roman characters) "Ve casa, tusi!" or "'Nde casa, tosi!"

In Italy, they publish dictionaries of the various regional dialects that treat them as separate languages: "Dizionario veneziano-italiano," "Dizionario friulano-italiano," etc. They probably don't have a lot of dirty words in them, though. :tongue:

One endearing feature of the Italian vocabulary of indecent expression is that they use "cazzo" ("dick") as a common, all-purpose exclamation. And they actually do wail "Porca miseria!" when confronted with adversity!

Edited to add: I did a Google search for "veneziano-italiano" and was led to this page, which is a post in an Italian body-building message board. The heading reads simply "Traduzione vocabolario VENEZIANO-ITALIANO," but you will find that all the contents are in fact imprecations and indecent expressions, which rather confirms your thesis! Sample:
    (For everyone besides Stronzo, that means "Fuck your mother in the arse.")

Edited AGAIN to add: Oh, my God! Look at this one:
    That is to say, "Who shat you?" Short and to the point!

#20 Calboner, Dec 4, 2009
Draft saved Draft deleted