Need Italian language help

B_Stronzo

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Was it the liver or the squid? Dimmi!

The squid ink sauce you can keep but the fegato (prepared properly) is the only regional dish I crave.

HA! You're a blast Calboner. Sensational knowledge of working Italian dialect. My friend Vera who lives in Dolo (between Venice and Padua) warned me about learning standard Italian. We met when I went back to get my Master's. She was a Fulbright Scholar here at Wheaton near Boston and a Northern Italian snob of the first order.

When we first met I said "è qualcose Tedesco nel tuo viso mi sembro" ... She dropped her fork and said "my mother's half German"! The following year we met in Venice and I snapped my suspenders at my ability to get by in working Italian.

Then I was let on to the little secret known to all Italians; Italy still does not consider itself unified. Venetian surnames often end in consonants. Contin would usually be "Contini" etc.. but not in Venice.

"'Nde casa, tosi!"

Yes.. tosa/ tose/ tosi .. little ones.

Sitting people- watching at Campo Santa Margherita one afternoon I heard a Venetian mother say to her female toddler "vien qui tosa mia" ('tosa' is Venetian for the usual "bambina") ..

I met a gaggle of Venetian boys while at a bistrot one night (street-wise locals) who spoke to me in perfectly intelligible Italian until (I suspect) they wanted to talk about me. Then they fell into Venetian. I was entirely in the dark and God knows who often a variant of "finocchio" came up ...:redface:

Says friend Vera? "The few times I've travelled to Campania or Napoli I may understand every third word at most". Italians still guard their city states viciously. No worker strikes like an Italian and the arrogance of the Northern Italian is palpable. Southern Italians are no better in that regard.

So to you I say, friend Calboner, PASTA VAZYULE e GABAGOOL! (the latter of which by the way is not slang but rather an entirely different word!) :biggrin1:

Qui.. si mangia bene si?

Oh and yes.. all forms and variations of "cazzo" (cock) are used as if one's saying "dammit". It's really quite remarkable.

Last edited:

highgrounds

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
eh sì l'italiano classico non serve sempre specialmente quando qualcuno comincia a parlare delle parole del suo dialeto .... ok ragazzi a dopo devo cambiare l'aqua del'uccello hahaha

Wish-4-8

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
So all you smart guys that are so busy correcting everyone are not even helping the OP, or Ms. Cougarblue.

At least I made an attempt to show her HOW to pronounce the words.
Italian writting = English pronounciation.
Che = Keh
Ci = Chee
Chi = Key

So, "Piacere" sounds like "pia-chair-reh".
An English speaker who doesnt know Italian would not know that so if she reads your translations, she will say them wrong. Why dont you smart guys help her out there instead of correcting everybody.

B_Stronzo

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Wish-4-8 said:
Why dont you smart guys help her out there instead of correcting everybody.

Calma e gesso

It's not to be "I'm right you're wrong" it's to learn.

If the thread morphs into something that helps all those who aspire to speak that delicious language I don't thing there's any harm in it.

We veered off course Calboner and I.

It's good to speak with someone who's not angry and knows a good deal about a language I love. Doesn't hurt that he's seen a bit of the world too. Besides I don't think Ms. Cougarblue has thanked a one of us for our input.

highgrounds said:
cambiare l'aqua del'uccello

change the bird water? Must have a double entendre meaning..

cosa vuol dire highgrounds?? è una frase idiomatica?

Last edited: