Need some advice...have any of you guys ever had a cystoscopy?

Discussion in 'The Healthy Penis' started by Phenix, Jan 7, 2012.

1. Phenix

Phenix Member

Albums:
    The past couple months since my last physical have been kind of a bummer (actually since I had my first colonoscopy last April and the doc removed two polyps and found some "mild dysplagia & abnormal cells in my rectum; I have to have this monitored every 6 months so it doesn't go from level 1 (benign) to level 3 (cancer)).

All my blood work came out okay including my PSA. However, when my doc did a digital exam of my prostate, he discovered a beebee sized nodule on one side. So off I went to the urologist who did a biopsy of my prostate (not exactly the most pleasant of procedures).

Anyway, the biopsy came back benign, but he wants to test my PSA every 3 months. He also thinks that my prostate is slightly enlarged and inhibiting my flow of urine (I've never had a problem with the way I pee) so he prescribed a medication called "Rapaflow", which relaxes everything down there so you can pee easier.

The unfortunate side effect is that it relaxes everything so much you can't ejaculate. Cum, yes; Squirt, no. I'm not sure that works for me quite frankly.

Finally, he noted that my bladder wall was thicker than it should be for a man my age (I'm 51) and he ordered a cystoscopy for me.

This is where a telescope attached to a flexible tube is inserted in the urethra down in to the bladder so the doc can see the inside of the bladder. Although the doc has told me I'll be all numbed up with Lidocaine, I'm still so freaked by the procedure that I've canceled three times!

Guys, I know I have to do this. To not do it could be suicide, but I was wondering if any of you have had this procedure and can tell me what it's REALLY like. Thanks. :confused:

2. fun4812

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Never had it done.. but talk to a person who has. They said it burned when they peed for a few days but fine after the. As far as the prostate if its already causing problem have it took out. That's what I would do. Good luck to you.

3. Ohioguy

Ohioguy Member

I've had it done. It is unpleasant, but it is something that you can tolerate & it doesn't last that long. It burns a little on insertion through the uretha. It is also a little unpleasant when they remove it, but when they pull it out it seems to be at lightening speed.I looked away when they were doing it. I am on the same medicine. I've been on it for a year. nThey wanted to do a number where they microwave or somehow destroy my prostrate. They said I would still cum, but there would be no ejaculation. I did not want that so I am staying away from the urologist.

4. B_Hornaplenty

B_Hornaplenty New Member

I'm 76 and have similar experience with what you mentioned. My prostate is small so it fills quickly and does have a tendency to squeeze the urethra and restrict urine flow. To overcome that my doctor gave me a med that (just like you) prevented me from ejaculating. A dry orgasm just isn't acceptable so I told my urologist and he changed the med to Terazosin which works for my urine flow and I can ejaculate semen too. So get your doctor to change your med to something other than what you are taking now.

The cystoscopy is not as bad as it sounds, if the practitioner is careful and considerate of your condition. For me the pleasant part was that the doctor's nurse did the numbing, and it was nice when she lifted my cock and opened the meatus to insert the swab with the numbing drug. The swab goes down into your cock a few inches and is left there for about 10 minutes. Also, she asked, "does that feel all right?" (Ummmm!) Then she removes the swab, checks for penis sensitivity, and if all is OK the scope is lubed and the doctor comes in and slides it into the urethra. The only sensitive moment was when the scope reached the bladder. There must be a muscle there that controls closing the bladder because there was a resistance to the scope and he had to push a bit to get the scope into the bladder. Then its a matter of turning the scope to examine the interior of the bladder, then withdraw the scope, and that part of the exam is painless. The nurse wiped up the end of my cock with a tissue to clean any lube and it was over. I left and felt fine, no residual pain from it, and I don't remember any discomfort from urinating afterward.

For your own safety you should have the procedure done to make sure all is OK. I hope it goes as well for you as it did for me.

5. cbscott78

cbscott78 New Member

Had a cystoscopy and stricture dilation done in early December. Since that was a little more involved, I was put under general anesthesia (which is the way to go.) Burning urination for a couple of days afterward, but nothing too awful. The one procedure that I would warn guys about is Urodynamics. Had that done before Christmas. Very unpleasant, especially for someone whose problem is not being able to urinate (I was finally diagnosed with Neurogenic Bladder on Thursday.)

I was on Rapaflo. The lack of ejaculation is a little weird, but it didn't bother me. I'm not trying to get anyone pregnant and there is less clean up. It did however cause sudden drops in blood pressure leading to Reflex Tachycardia so I stopped taking it. The Urologist just prescribed me Flomax. Took the first one this morning. We'll see.

6. sider

sider Member

I had it done about two years ago. It is not painful, just unpleasant. They shoot a gel into your penis to numb you. Once you are numb, they insert the instrument. the doctor went in slowy. The procedure was probably only 5 or 10 minutes. The worst part is that, your normally healthy looking penis is very afraid, and shrivels up!! Just get the procedure done...it will be over before you know it. You're making way too much of it!! Good luck!

7. GBF64

GBF64 Well-Known Member

Albums:
    My experience was totally different. The lidocaine jelly did nothing to numb me. It was one of the most painful experiences in my life. I even passed out at one point it hurt so bad.I was also in pain for about one week after. The urologist said that the next time I would have to have it done in the hospital sedated and not his office.

8. B_Hornaplenty

B_Hornaplenty New Member

It was Flomax that my urologist started me on, and that was the one that shut down my ejaculation of semen. As I mentioned before, he then switched me to Terazosin and that works fine for the urination problem, and I still can put out a load from orgasm.

I hope the Flomax works well for you, cbscott. It may take a few days of use to see how it affects you. Sorry to hear about your other problems and hope they are easily treatable without negative side effects.

9. HotRod65

HotRod65 New Member

Albums:
    I had the cystoscopy procedure several years ago to investigate a bladder blockage problem which righted itself almost as quickly as it appeared. I convinced myself that there's no point worrying about embarrassment because this is important fore your future health. I've found that ALL men I've spoken to about the procedure are squeamish, but it was actually not a big deal and I found it fascinating to be involved, watching on the big screen above me as the camera went in, and having the cosultant talk me through what was happening and what we were looking at. If I'd wanted to be embarrassed, then being prepared by a female nurse who came to my bed with a large syringe, (no, there's no needle attached), and having her inject a full load of anaesthetic KY jelly in to fill the full length of my urethra, should have done it, but hey, why not just enjoy the experience, and then the real fun bit was when she clipped on a clothes peg over the end of my penis to keep the jelly from oozing back out during the ten minutes while the anaesthetic set in.
    In the operating room, there was no pain or discomfort as the instrument went in or came out, and no problems afterwards.
    The whole process left me with a serious fascination with the way my sexual system works and I've always got more questions I'd like answers to. I've also taken up sounding and my latest game is inserting catheters right into my bladder. The feeling of having a steel rod or a catheter right inside your prostate gland is a whole new sexual experience that's worth trying. I use only a mild antiseptic cream and KY jelly when inserting toys, anaesthetic isn't necessary if you're careful. So go ahead and have the procedure done and get it checked out. I've had thre TRUS biopsies so far and that's a far more oncomfortable procedure.

10. surto

surto New Member

Albums:
    it really has to do with how sensitive each one of us is towards physical pain, I now I am, and routine operations that others have found a piece of cake I found extremely painful... best of luck op, hope you have a good doc and you get things sorted soon, well, as soon as you have to or can do.

11. BoxersguyNJ

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I had it done 2 months ago right in the doctors office--the nurse sticks a long q-tip with numbing cream in side the pee hole so the uretha gets numb for about an hour but you don't even feel the tiny string scope going in and in 15 min it was all done and went home

12. BobGoldware

BobGoldware New Member

I have had many cystocopics and they are not at all bad....in fact, I was premedicated prior and I felt nothing although awake..my urologist squirted something into my penis before inserting and there was absolutely no sensation..have it and stop worrying.

13. mandoman

Gold Member

My experience was not typical. I had a CAT scan, which showed some fuzziness in the left ureter, connecting the kidney and bladder. They knocked me out. The doctor tried to get the scope in the ureter through my penis, and missed 4 times. I went south on the table.
    They administered succanocholine, a heavy duty anesthetic. I came out of it OK, then pissed myself by just standing up. I was pissing razor blades for a couple of days.
    The day after, I felt like I had been beaten up by 20 guys, from the crotch up, while I was under. I was chewing a bean from my soup, and my jaw hurt. I couldn't push a shopping cart, it was too painful. My wife figured out that I had an unintended side effect from the anesthesia. Our doctor said that not one in a hundred doctors would have figured it out. Turns out I may be genetically predisposed, to being cooked from the inside out from this particular anesthesia.

14. Sounder

Sounder Member

I am having a cysto done prior to my corrective surgery for my hypospadias. I hope i dont get knocked out for it, as i want to watch tue screen too. I was put on the "crapaflow" too. The dry orgasms were maddening. On the bright side, I was saving a fortune on Kleenex, but I also lost alot of what made my orgasms pleasurable. Also, if i got up suddenly from squatting while working in the garden, i would black out and nearly fall like a tree! Flomax does it too, but to a lesser extent. The Avodart seems to be doing the trick for me.

Draft saved Draft deleted