Need some help....

Damiaen Michaels

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
I suck at serious speechs or writing seriously....I can work on the fly with information I have, but when I have to write something about a bad day like today, I am stuck....here is what I have, let me know what you think. I am doing the lead off (first anchor you see)...

"Good Morning and Welcome to Channel 2 News Morning Edition, for Monday, September 11th, 2006. I am reporting live from the Fairbanks 9/11 Memorial in Downtown Fairbanks.

5 years ago, the images of that day, even though they happened some 4,000miles away, are burned into the Alaskan and American memories. We all remember what happened that horrible day, but we also remember how we all came together to help, anyway we could...even if we were 4,000miles away. We remember those firefighters and policemen and women who ran toward, not away from the World Trade Center and Pentagon that morning and we remember the heroes of Flight 93 in Pennsylvania.

Thoughout the morning, the names of those who died that day will appear on the bottom of your screen.

I now pass it on to Morning Edition anchor Sheila Balistreri at our studios at the corner of 5th and F Streets."

That is all I have...threw in all of what I have to say...everything in blue, is what I wrote myself....everyone else has these better written speeches, I think I could do better....and I am at a loss of what to write.

By the way, I am at our Fairbanks studios now.

Thanks for your help.

Rock on,

Damiaen

davidjh7

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Damiaen Michaels said:
I suck at serious speechs or writing seriously....I can work on the fly with information I have, but when I have to write something about a bad day like today, I am stuck....here is what I have, let me know what you think. I am doing the lead off (first anchor you see)...

"Good Morning and Welcome to Channel 2 News Morning Edition, for Monday, September 11th, 2006. I am reporting live from the Fairbanks 9/11 Memorial in Downtown Fairbanks.

5 years ago, the images of that day, even though they happened some 4,000miles away, are burned into the Alaskan and American memories. We all remember what happened that horrible day, but we also remember how we all came together to help, anyway we could...even if we were 4,000miles away. We remember those firefighters and policemen and women who ran toward, not away from the World Trade Center and Pentagon that morning and we remember the heroes of Flight 93 in Pennsylvania.

Thoughout the morning, the names of those who died that day will appear on the bottom of your screen.

I now pass it on to Morning Edition anchor Sheila Balistreri at our studios at the corner of 5th and F Streets."

That is all I have...threw in all of what I have to say...everything in blue, is what I wrote myself....everyone else has these better written speeches, I think I could do better....and I am at a loss of what to write.

By the way, I am at our Fairbanks studios now.

Thanks for your help.

Rock on,

Damiaen

Ok--I'll give it a shot--feel free to edit as you see fit, and hopefully you can find something useful....

First, you repeatedthe 4000 miles bit, which comes across as redundant, and the ear for some reason always picks up on that stuff...:smile:

Maybe something to add: " We want to remember our heros, those who fell on that terrible day, and those who still fight for us today. It is my wish that on this day, we all can come together to mourn those we have lost, and cherish those we still have with us. We are all Americans, regardless of our politics, and as we stood together as a nation in the days and weeks that followed, let us stand together today to remember and honor those who sacrificed their lives, for the lives and honor of all of us"

Maybe a bit pithy, but maybe there are some useful words there.

davidjh7

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Damiaen Michaels said:
Nice.....I printed that out and will work on the final (at least for the top of the show) as I drive over there....I have a driver today.

Rock on,

Damiaen

Good luck----this is going to be a busy---and tough day for you, I know. You are doing good work, by helping keep the memories alive.:smile:

Damiaen Michaels

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
OK, that was the toughest 6 hours of my life.

We had technical problems in Anchorage from the beginning and I ran the first 15 mins of the show from Fairbanks. Finally got those cleared up and the sat. truck in Juneau died on us, so we lost 6pm anchor John Tracy for about an hour, they got that working and it was smooth sailing after that.

Considering the problems, we worked pretty good on our toes, and you couldn't tell that we were having technical problems.

After 10am AST (2pm Eastern), I crashed in the live truck til the 5 (9pm Eastern). It was funny, I put my feet up on the dashboard and put the seat back and my hat in my eyes...I was out. They woke me up about 4p so I could get setup and woke up for the 5. Coffee anytime of the day is good, by the way.

The 5 and 6 were easy....the 10 is going to be tough since we are going a full hour and we are down an anchor....but like this morning, we will work through it.

Honestly, we could have just run about 20mins of tape stand-ups, and called it there, but we decided last week that we were going to do 6 straight hours in the AM and devote a good portion of our 10 to tthe 5th anniversary of 9/11...and I think we did an awesome job.

Now to wait for 10pm to roll around (2am EST).

*my ankle and hand is killing me...couldn't take my meds while working*

Rock on,

Damiaen

davidjh7

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Damiaen Michaels said:
OK, that was the toughest 6 hours of my life.

We had technical problems in Anchorage from the beginning and I ran the first 15 mins of the show from Fairbanks. Finally got those cleared up and the sat. truck in Juneau died on us, so we lost 6pm anchor John Tracy for about an hour, they got that working and it was smooth sailing after that.

Considering the problems, we worked pretty good on our toes, and you couldn't tell that we were having technical problems.

After 10am AST (2pm Eastern), I crashed in the live truck til the 5 (9pm Eastern). It was funny, I put my feet up on the dashboard and put the seat back and my hat in my eyes...I was out. They woke me up about 4p so I could get setup and woke up for the 5. Coffee anytime of the day is good, by the way.

The 5 and 6 were easy....the 10 is going to be tough since we are going a full hour and we are down an anchor....but like this morning, we will work through it.

Honestly, we could have just run about 20mins of tape stand-ups, and called it there, but we decided last week that we were going to do 6 straight hours in the AM and devote a good portion of our 10 to tthe 5th anniversary of 9/11...and I think we did an awesome job.

Now to wait for 10pm to roll around (2am EST).

*my ankle and hand is killing me...couldn't take my meds while working*

Rock on,

Damiaen

I hope you have the next day off...:biggrin1:

Damiaen Michaels

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
HA! I wish, I actually was on vacation when I got hurt. I decided to work a day while on vacation....bad idea. So they gave me an extra week off to recoop, so I am here til Thanksgiving. Though I get a nice hotel to stay in tonight.

Who's up for 2am skinny-dipping in the hotel pool?:biggrin1: :biggrin1:

Rock on,

Damiaen