Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
:sgrin: Must...resist...urge... to type "Fuck you, loser" and run away :biggrin1:

Well, there goes my potential contribution. :soapbox:

More seriously, I can't stand the way people overuse the word "negative" and (even more nauseating) "negativity" these days. It muddies the waters by running together (1) querulousness (the tendency to complain), (2) fault-finding (the tendency to see only ill in others), and (3) legitimate objections and criticisms. I'm something of a grouch, or at least I try to be, and many of the people I like or admire have strong grouchy streaks. Life would be a lot duller without them, and all the shittiness in life would be much harder to take without such people -- who would be called "negative" by people who like to use that word -- to make amusing observations about it. If that's not what you mean by "negative people," then you need to be clearer about what you are talking about.

D_Amyntas Lillydong

Account Disabled
Media
i'll have to remember this.

Like attracts like.

My outlook has changed considerably in the past year. Some hard lessons in life that were best learned and utilized the first time around. Lessons I won't ever go through again.

I had to let go of people who had been friends for years but the level of negativity was wearing me down physically and emotionally.

I am learning that saying NO can be very empowering and healthy.

RawDog

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I have many gripes and baggage about negative people, but I won't waste my bandwidth or your time with bitching (something I wish *those* people did more often). Suffice it to say, my biggest issue is that they almost always act out victim roles. Which tends to let them off the hook as far as striving to better themselves. Rather than seeing themselves on the low end of the bellcurve, they'd much rather drag the bellcurve down to make them feel average.

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I have many gripes and baggage about negative people, but I won't waste my bandwidth or your time with bitching (something I wish *those* people did more often). Suffice it to say, my biggest issue is that they almost always act out victim roles. Which tends to let them off the hook as far as striving to better themselves. Rather than seeing themselves on the low end of the bellcurve, they'd much rather drag the bellcurve down to make them feel average.

I have been trying to think of an eloquent way of saying this all day.

dongalong

Mythical Member
Media
Well, there goes my potential contribution. :soapbox:

More seriously, I can't stand the way people overuse the word "negative" and (even more nauseating) "negativity" these days. It muddies the waters by running together (1) querulousness (the tendency to complain), (2) fault-finding (the tendency to see only ill in others), and (3) legitimate objections and criticisms. I'm something of a grouch, or at least I try to be, and many of the people I like or admire have strong grouchy streaks. Life would be a lot duller without them, and all the shittiness in life would be much harder to take without such people -- who would be called "negative" by people who like to use that word -- to make amusing observations about it. If that's not what you mean by "negative people," then you need to be clearer about what you are talking about.
I am a tolerant person but I do have limits, the negative people whose company I prefer to do without, include (1), (2), snobs, critics, etc. muttley described perfectly the way they behave.
Grouchy streaks are normal and I agree can be fun, so long as it doesn't go beyond a streak.

_avg_

Sexy Member
Media
For every action, an equal and opposite reaction. You will therefore face negativity to the extent that you express positivity. Lesson? Be neutral! Walk the grey path! Life is not positive or negative, but both (or neither) -- it is incomplete if not taken in as a set.

stlbigman

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
i used to be one of those neg people. i would like to believe i wasn't ALWAYS bad to be around but i look back i was insufferable at times. i've learned my lessons well in life. i say try to encourage those who are negative by uplifting them, encouraging them. be a beacon of light whenever you can. BUT you can't save those who don't want to be saved.

invisibleman

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Because they are miserable negative ass motherfuckers and they suck. Their life is fucked and so they want to bring everyone down with them. Fuckin jerks...

...AND they watch reality TV and apocalyptic news broadcasts. ...AND they sometimes go to church and think that their "trials of Job" are a part of their Christian sojourn. Suffering is Christ-like. :rolleyes:

I don't watch "reality TV" and "apocalyptic news broadcasts". I don't think suffering is Christ-like. Suffering is a part of the human condition. A PART.

D_Tintagel_Demondong

Sexy Member
Media
Suffice it to say, my biggest issue is that they almost always act out victim roles. Which tends to let them off the hook as far as striving to better themselves. Rather than seeing themselves on the low end of the bellcurve, they'd much rather drag the bellcurve down to make them feel average.

I usually try to avoid negative people. If I can't, then I usually lose my temper and set them straight. We all have had hardships and we all have our sob stories. As Oh_Yeah could tell you, I just don't put up with it.

A quote from my favorite Brian Adams song: "Ain't no use in complaining when you've got a job to do."

Oh give me a break...most people remember those manly man pictures of your bare chest in the great outdoors and are most likely intimidated!:rolleyes:

You mean that guy standing in the woods in boots and a ball cap, shirtless, proudly showing his huge furry pecs?

Tremaine

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
Many just don't know what they want to do, but they want to be doing something different. In this respect they can be like a typical teenager. They will find reasons not to do something and always be putting it off until tomorrow. There are also those who are just too damb scared to fail, partly because they have always been put down by parents & teachers, telling them that they will amount to nothing - And what happens, they prove then absolutely right. I on the other hand seek to proove them wrong - but then I know that I can be cussed son of a ...

My tac has been when someone tries to put me down is to work harder at the thing and prove them wrong. A failure in something is not bad in itself, it is one way that doesn't work. I try to use it as a learning tool. Lick my wounds, consider why it didn't work and they try another approach. If after a number of attempts then, and only then determine whether to proceed or give up on that particular quest.

Know your strengths and manage your weaknesses is a motto I endeavour to follow.

invisibleman

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Many just don't know what they want to do, but they want to be doing something different. In this respect they can be like a typical teenager. They will find reasons not to do something and always be putting it off until tomorrow. There are also those who are just too damb scared to fail, partly because they have always been put down by parents & teachers, telling them that they will amount to nothing - And what happens, they prove then absolutely right. I on the other hand seek to proove them wrong - but then I know that I can be cussed son of a ...

My tac has been when someone tries to put me down is to work harder at the thing and prove them wrong. A failure in something is not bad in itself, it is one way that doesn't work. I try to use it as a learning tool. Lick my wounds, consider why it didn't work and they try another approach. If after a number of attempts then, and only then determine whether to proceed or give up on that particular quest.

Know your strengths and manage your weaknesses is a motto I endeavour to follow.

I agree. Like many others' potential, I know that I have the power to do many things once I put my mind to it and act. I fail lots of times. I try to make a lot of things happen but you get negative peeps to shoot you down. And I always tell them that I am not judging what you do. Get busy with doing what you got to do.

RawDog

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
On the Discovery Channel's Deadliest Catch one of the seasoned fishermen pulled the new guy aside after hearing him bitch all day and said, "Complaining is like sitting in a rocking chair. It's a lot of fun when you do it, but it doesn't get you anywhere."

D_Humper E Bogart

Experimental Member
Media
I think I disturb people by being positive. I even enjoy being negative. Those dark thoughts add such wonderful fuel to my fire! It's about enjoying life and not giving a shit about the wills of those you shouldn't care about, and the things that don't matter.

invisibleman

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
On the Discovery Channel's Deadliest Catch one of the seasoned fishermen pulled the new guy aside after hearing him bitch all day and said, "Complaining is like sitting in a rocking chair. It's a lot of fun when you do it, but it doesn't get you anywhere."

Ain't THAT the truth?!!!