Negroponte? Is he serious?

Onslow

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Okay, finally I am begining to see the holes in the Bush administration--and what holes they are! I have just learned of Junior's nomination of John Negroponte as Director of National Intelligence. If anyone ever wondered about their rights they need wonder no more--soon you will have no rights.

As soon as I heard the name Negroponte, I thought of Oliver North and Ronald Reagan and then I went on a short fact finding mission to find out why bells were being set off in my head. Negroponte was a part of the Iran-Contra horror. He has been in essence a destroyer of human rights from the very first moment he appeared on the scene. Hey guys we're talking about the man who wanted to sweep the Archbishop Romero assassination under the rug as if it had never happened.

There were serious reservations on the part of many when he was named as Ambassador to Iraq and at other points in his career. How is this happening? Just how is he being allowed to keep moving forward and destroy people and countries?

Mind you this does not change the fact that my vote and support of Junior still stands and as I have stated in the past it was in large part because of the election alternatives, a view which I maintain even this very day. All that being said however; I have to say I am rather disturbed by this late breaking development. Perhaps someone with a broader, more open view can help me understand how a guy who violates human rights at every turn can be made into an Intelligence Director or anything else. Isn't this somewhat akin to stupidity? I am sure there must be some information about him which I am somehow overlooking and I'd greatly appreciate it if anyone could tell me what the positives about this man are.

Thank you all for allowing my outburst.

mindseye

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Originally posted by Onslow@Feb 17 2005, 12:22 PM
Okay, finally I am begining to see the holes in the Bush administration--and what holes they are!
[...]
Mind you this does not change the fact that my vote and support of Junior still stands and as I have stated in the past it was in large part because of the election alternatives, a view which I maintain even this very day.
[post=283951]Quoted post[/post]​

Keep looking. Just in the first few weeks of this administration, we've seen an Attorney General nominee who supports torture; a National Intelligence Director who is a human rights abuser, and a boy-toy with a press pass (NSFW). What about values and "faith-based initiatives"? Sha, now that the election's over, who cares?.

Claiming that the alternatives were poorer choices than this one is a mighty strong statement, and one that I believe you'll eventually find to be unsupportable.

KinkGuy

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Originally posted by Onslow@Feb 17 2005, 10:22 AM
Negroponte was a part of the Iran-Contra horror.  He has been in essence a destroyer of human rights from the very first moment he appeared on the scene. 

help me understand how a guy who violates human rights at every turn can be made into an Intelligence Director or anything else.  Isn't this somewhat akin to stupidity? 

[post=283951]Quoted post[/post]​

Sadly, you answered your own question.

surferboy

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Wait, yer just realizing there's holes in his Administration now? I'm a bit flakey most of the time and I've known he's bad news since 2001.

Pecker

Retired Moderator
Media
Well, it's kind of a comfort to me to know that my family and I are being protected by the meanest sons-a-bitches in the valley. :lol:

jonb

Sexy Member
Media
Well, to put it simply, a lot of Iran-Contra felons pardoned by Bush the Elder have been appointed to Cabinet positions by Bush the Lesser. I've been saying so for 4 years now.

The problem, Onslow, is that most of the people who voted for Bush didn't know what was going on. They didn't know a thing about Bush or Kerry. Reagan did the same thing; sure, he caused the worst deficit until Bush Jr. came along, and his record of treason begins with the October surprise and continues all the way through Iran-Contra, but I'll always remember how much he liked jellybeans.

KinkGuy

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Originally posted by Pecker@Feb 17 2005, 01:37 PM
Well, it's kind of a comfort to me to know that my family and I are being protected by the meanest sons-a-bitches in the valley. :lol:
[post=283997]Quoted post[/post]​

But are you, Pecker? And at what price?

mindseye

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Originally posted by KinkGuy@Feb 17 2005, 04:12 PM
But are you, Pecker? And at what price?
[post=284007]Quoted post[/post]​

Don't waste your time, KinkGuy. Pecker's made it clear that he's quite okay with torture; deceit; human rights abuses, and a plummeting economy. He thinks his family's being protected -- but of course, rhetoric offers no protection.

Bush's idea of protection is the highly conspicuous inconveniences travellers endure at airports. Security for our cargo ports, our shorelines, and most Canadian border checkpoints are no better (and in some cases far worse) than they were pre-2001. These less conspicuous routes of entry are simply not a priority for the Bush administration.

Onslow

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Where to start--

Mindseye: I suppose I should have seen this entire mess approaching but I didn't. I'm still not totally decided on Gonzalez however I'm fast approaching the worst thoughts there. I would still like to believe that he isn't completely evil. As for the airport horrors you've seen nothing until you have some simpleton on a power trip instruct you to (while standing and leaning on one crutch) remove a prosthetic leg, and to place the crutch and the leg on the conveyor belt for screening. They were sure I was smuggling who knows what in there. I had to get their manager/supervisor who oddly spoke no English (or the U.S. equivalent). This was in the United States. Since I long ago learned to allow extra time and I had someone with me I was able to get through but it was an added annoyance especially considering that all this is going on while other passengers are wandering through the security with weapons of all sorts, including knives and guns and who knows what else. But don't worry they are planning to ban matches as soon as possible and want us to be alert to any pasenger who uses matches on a plane. As for better security at the borders I gave up on that a long while back, although I honestly did not know it was worse than in 2001. I say this because of a 3 hour wait and screening while driving thorugh... never mind... I was entering Canada at the time, the return was basically a look at the license plate a glance at me and a quick pass through.

Surferboy: What do you expect of me? Look at my name it has SLOW in it.

Moving right along, yes KinkGuy, I guess I did answer my own question. Argggghh!

JonB: what can I say other than if I recall it correctly Reagan had a particular fondness for red jellybeans and eschewed the blue ones entirely(if it wasn't for bad jokes I'd have none).

Well folks it's been a rotten day, I will now go slam my head into a brick wall as I ask myself WHY it took me so long to start seeing the impending doom. Yeah I'm still trying to be an optimist and only refer to it as impending doom, this means there's still a slim trace of hope. I still don't want to admit my vote back in Novemeber may have been a mistake. Perhaps when the feds confiscate everything I have it'll register. I hear the helicopters approaching they must have intercepted this message.

BobLeeSwagger

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
There WAS a minimal outcry when Negroponte was appointed by Bush the first time, for U.N. Ambassador in 2001. Congress, including many Democrats, were willing to overlook it. Once someone's background clears minimal public scrutiny, there's really no point in revisiting it because he's already "in".

For example, the whole National Guard thing with Bush that was resurrected last year. If you weren't convinced that he got preferential treatment when it was brought up during the 2000 campaign, it wasn't going to change your mind the second time around.

KinkGuy

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Originally posted by Onslow@Feb 17 2005, 07:50 PM
I hear the helicopters approaching they must have intercepted this message.
[post=284090]Quoted post[/post]​

Onslow, they've been hoovering over my house for months. See you in the concentration camp.

jonb

Sexy Member
Media
Actually, in 1980 and 1984, Democrats were red. It's convention to alternate which color represents the incumbents.

Bush makes me long for the days of Reagan. It's one thing to have an extremist President and an opposition majority in Congress. It's another when an entire party is paranoid enough to think that if we question the concept of electronic voting it means we're necessarily questioning their party leader's legitimacy. That kind of paranoia means the lady doth protest too much.

KinkGuy

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Originally posted by jonb@Feb 17 2005, 11:19 PM
Bush makes me long for the days of Reagan.
[post=284151]Quoted post[/post]​

I agree jonb. Which goes to show, just how far we have fallen. Scares me that Reagan would be an improvement and that I would welcome him back. Yikes.

mindseye

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Originally posted by KinkGuy@Feb 18 2005, 01:26 AM
I agree jonb. Which goes to show, just how far we have fallen. Scares me that Reagan would be an improvement and that I would welcome him back. Yikes.
[post=284157]Quoted post[/post]​

Certainly Reagan's son would have made a better president than George H.W.'s has.

KinkGuy

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Originally posted by mindseye+Feb 17 2005, 11:31 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mindseye &#064; Feb 17 2005, 11:31 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-KinkGuy@Feb 18 2005, 01:26 AM
I agree jonb.  Which goes to show, just how far we have fallen.  Scares me that Reagan would be an improvement and that I would welcome him back.  Yikes.
[post=284157]Quoted post[/post]​

Certainly Reagan&#39;s son would have made a better president than George H.W.&#39;s has.
[post=284158]Quoted post[/post]​
[/b][/quote]

Which one? The ballet dancer or the nazi?

mindseye

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Originally posted by KinkGuy@Feb 18 2005, 01:40 AM
Which one? The ballet dancer or the nazi?
[post=284161]Quoted post[/post]​

I meant Dubya, and not Neil. ;)

carolinacurious:
I still don&#39;t want to admit my vote back in Novemeber may have been a mistake.

Good Lord why not&#33; Anyway, I&#39;m looking for you in the John Kerry thread.