NEJM Study on Average Size?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Imported, Feb 24, 2004.

1. Imported

Gold Member

sjsggtan: Has anyone here heard about a purported New England Journal of Medicine study on average penis size? Supposedly, the study found that the average size of guys in an unspecified younger age group (probably in the 18-29 range) was 6.9 inches, and average girth about 6 inches. There's been some discussion of this study on another online message board, but repeated efforts to elicit more detailed information from the original poster (such as the exact date when the study was published) have not yet produced a response.

Since most studies of average size have tended to hover in the 5.8 to 6.5 inch range, the higher figures produced in the purported NEJM study would be dramatic news, if true. Perhaps it's all hooey, but if there is such a study and anyone here has more information, it would be of great interest.

2. Imported

Gold Member

tripod2004: At last. I have never believed the usual findings of 5.5 to 6''. My memories reinforce this new finding. There were just too many of us well over this size to make it an average. Nobody I knew was under 6.5'' and many well over 7''

3. Imported

Gold Member

tomarctus: And if it's true that places me at or below average now.
    On the bright side, it also means you big guys are closer to average than you thought. The study doesn't change the size of our cocks anyway.

4. Imported

Gold Member

Krowax: There's no way the avarage is that high anyway. Atleast not girth-wise.

5. Imported

Gold Member

sjsggtan: Like Tripod 2004, I have always suspected estimates under 6 inches for average size were too small to be believable. Far more credible are the numerous other studies (the majority) showing 6.3 to 6.5 inches as the true average; that just makes more sense in terms of anecdotal evidence. But if the purported NEJM study is for real, it would certainly shake up popular perceptions about what "big," "average," and "small" really mean. Again, if anyone has more information about this study--its date of publication, further details on its findings, etc.--I'd love to see it.

6. Imported

Gold Member

mindseye: [quote author=sjsggtan link=board=meetgreet;num=1077647602;start=0#0 date=02/24/04 at 10:24:22]Has anyone here heard about a purported New England Journal of Medicine study on average penis size? Supposedly, the study found that the average size of guys in an unspecified younger age group (probably in the 18-29 range) was 6.9 inches, and average girth about 6 inches. There's been some discussion of this study on another online message board, but repeated efforts to elicit more detailed information from the original poster (such as the exact date when the study was published) have not yet produced a response.[/quote]

The New England Journal of Medicine is a real journal, and has an online presence at http://content.nejm.org -- near the upper right corner of the screen is a search box.

There was no such article.

Searching for "penis size" reveals exactly one hit -- and it's a case study. Searching for "6.9 inches" produces no hits at all.

7. Imported

Gold Member

prepky: i guessed as much....some one started yet another urban legend ......if 7 was average, then why would all of these ladies and gents, say that overall average was around 6 or so.....

8. Imported

Gold Member

Ineligible: There are a number of issues here. One is that most careful medical studies have used non-bone-pressed measurements (despite occasional statements to the contrary), so findings of 5 1/4" average NBPEL may equate to about 6" BPEL, given the population's increasing weight. Some studies have in fact used stretched length rather than erect length - these are supposed to be the same on average, but in fact this is only so if the stretching force is quite strong.

Then there are the many studies that take self-reported data - they invariably give higher results, and just aren't reliable.

But another issue is that it's not possible to gauge a reliable average from one's own personal experience. The sample size is usually small; more to the point, it is not random, and usually far from it.

But even with the best studies there can be a lot of variation between different studies in the same population. I get the impression this is one of the hardest surveys of all to get right.

9. benderten2001

Gold Member

I just keep remembering what sizes the condom manufacturers keep cranking out in greater volumes....
    "regular size" condoms for the 5.5 inchers.

The larger sizes (at least at the typical retail outlets) are not always readily stocked and as quickly available in mass quantities.

Stores stock inventory ONLY for what truly sells with very few exceptions. (They couldn't afford to do otherwise.)

So----could THIS tell us anything here?

10. Imported

Gold Member

ORCABOMBER: Point as always Bender. After all, it'd be stupid to make and sell loads of condoms that no one needed.

Draft saved Draft deleted