Nelly

jonb

Sexy Member
Media
Originally posted by MyPenisIsStuckUnderAContinent@May 25 2005, 09:36 PM
white boys dont understand rap
[post=314769]Quoted post[/post]​
One: I'm Lakota. That immediately disqualifies me from being a "white boy".
Two: If you think the ghetto's tough, you should try growing up an Indian in any of the flyover states.
Three: Indians have our own rappers. Oh yeah, they get booed at mainstream events before they even start!

As for Jacinto, he spent part of his childhood in a Third World country. You try living in one.

So the thug persona doesn't impress either of us.

B_DoubleMeatWhopper

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Originally posted by gooseneck@May 26 2005, 04:48 AM
All i was doin was explainin that the name should not suggest anything other than an abbreviated version of his real name.

He could've just as easily, and somewhat more logically, used 'Corny'. Of course, that can just as easily be misunderstood. Names are words, and words carry connotations, whether intentionally or otherwise. Remember a Chevy car called the Nova? It was not an overwhelming success in Spanish-speaking countries because no va in Spanish means 'it doesn't go'. That was not what the manufacturers intended when they named the Nova, but it was the connotation that it carried among those who spoke Spanish.

mindseye

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Originally posted by DoubleMeatWhopper@May 26 2005, 09:32 PM
It was not an overwhelming success in Spanish-speaking countries because no va in Spanish means 'it doesn't go'. That was not what the manufacturers intended when they named the Nova, but it was the connotation that it carried among those who spoke Spanish.

Urban legend. From snopes.com:

Between 1972 and 1978 the Chevrolet Nova was also sold in Mexico and several other Spanish-speaking countries, primarily Venezuela. Shortly afterwards the great "Nova" legend arose, a legend which a little linguistic analysis shows it to be improbable:

• First of all, the phrase "no va" (literally "doesn't go") and the word "nova" are distinct entities with different pronunciations in Spanish: the former is two words and is pronounced with the accent on the second word; the latter is one word with the accent on the first syllable. Assuming that Spanish speakers would naturally see the word "nova" as equivalent to the phrase "no va" and think "Hey, this car doesn't go!" is akin to assuming that English speakers woud spurn a dinette set sold under the name Notable because nobody wants a dinette set that doesn't include a table.
  • Although "no va" can be literally translated as "no go," it would be a curious locution for a speaker of Spanish to use in reference to a car. Just as an English speaker would describe a broken-down car by saying that it "doesn't run" rather than it "doesn't go," so a Spanish speaker would refer to a malfunctioning automobile by saying "no marcha" or "no funciona" or "no camina" rather than "no va."
  • Pemex (the Mexican government-owned oil monopoly) sold (and still sells) gasoline in Mexico under the name "Nova." If Mexicans were going to associate anything with the Chevrolet Nova based on its name, it would probably be this gasoline. In any case, if Mexicans had no compunctions about filling the tanks of their cars with a type of gasoline whose name advertised that it "didn't go," why would they reject a similarly-named automobile?
  • This legend assumes that a handful of General Motors executives launched a car into a foreign market and remained in blissful ignorance [for six years!] about a possible adverse translation of its name. Even if nobody in Detroit knew enough rudimentary Spanish to notice the coincidence, the Nova could not have been brought to market in Mexico and/or South America without the involvement of numerous Spanish speakers engaged to translate user manuals, prepare advertising and promotional materials, communicate with the network of Chevrolet dealers in the target countries, etc. In fact, GM was aware of the translation and opted to retain the model name "Nova" in Spanish-speaking markets anyway, because they (correctly) felt the matter to be unimportant.

The truth is that the Chevrolet Nova's name didn't significantly affect its sales: it sold well in both its primary Spanish-language markets, Mexico and Venezuela. (Its Venezuelan sales figures actually surpassed GM's expectations.) The whole "Nova = "doesn't go" tale was merely another in a long line of automotive jokes, like the ones about "Ford" being an acronym for "Fix or repair daily" or "Found on road dead" or "Fiat" being an acronym for "Fix it again, Tony!" These humorous inventions might adequately reflect the tellers' feelings about the worthiness of various types of automobiles, but we don't really expect that anyone ever refrained from buying a Ford because he actually believed they needed to be repaired on a daily basis.

B_DoubleMeatWhopper

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I guess it is an urban legend, then. But there is one sentence that I disagree with:

Although "no va" can be literally translated as "no go," it would be a curious locution for a speaker of Spanish to use in reference to a car.

Different terms are used in different countries. Maybe a Mexican or Venezuelan wouldn't say "no va" in reference to a car, but I know that is exactly what what a Spanish-speaking Carribean would say.

"¿Qué se pasa con su carro?"

"No sé. No va."

But that is, of course, no proof that the words would be used in that manner elsewhere in the Spanish-speaking world. I was just repeating what I'd heard, as we're all likely to do from time to time.

Findarto:
Originally posted by DoubleMeatWhopper@May 26 2005, 11:08 PM
I guess it is an urban legend, then. But there is one sentence that I disagree with:

Although "no va" can be literally translated as "no go," it would be a curious locution for a speaker of Spanish to use in reference to a car.

Different terms are used in different countries. Maybe a Mexican or Venezuelan wouldn't say "no va" in reference to a car, but I know that is exactly what what a Spanish-speaking Carribean would say.

"¿Qué se pasa con su carro?"

"No sé. No va."

But that is, of course, no proof that the words would be used in that manner elsewhere in the Spanish-speaking world. I was just repeating what I'd heard, as we're all likely to do from time to time.
[post=315098]Quoted post[/post]​
What parts of the Carribean ?

Your right though, different Spanish Speaking countries say things different.

I'm P. Rican, and we have a difference in simple questions !
It makes it hard to speak to Mexican, and Colombian friends..

B_DoubleMeatWhopper

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Originally posted by Findarto@May 27 2005, 01:29 PM
What parts of the Carribean ?

In Cuba, at least. That's where I was born and reared.

Your right though, different Spanish Speaking countries say things different.

I'm P. Rican, and we have a difference in simple questions !
It makes it hard to speak to Mexican, and Colombian friends..

I know what you mean. I don't speak Spanglish, and their accents are very different than mine.

scultra2

Just Browsing
Media
I dont post here much since I lost my password to my old username. But what do you guys think about nelly?

Anyone have a pics of him?

Matthew

Legendary Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I remember a video last year in which it looked like he was freeballing. I can't remember if it was "Grillz" or before that.

Arsenal

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Was he just in a sports remake movie?(sorry to be vague).

If it is him, a promotional poster of him showed a great outline of his bulge.

Alecia19

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Nelly is most definetly one of the hottest and talented artist out right now without question. I'm kinda curious though as to why "Socercer" would call him trash.

Atia

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I can't get pass those two gold teeth in his mouth. I do not think he is gay, because he is dating Ashanti.....