netflix going to Blue-ray only :(:(

transformer_99

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I really cannot see downloads taking the place of a physical DVD. Do you know how much time/bandwith would be consummed if we all started downloading 50GB movies or even 10GB movies? The download could take longer than the movie. And then after X number of days it would expire.

Good point, the volume of the download really cripples dvd piracy. These companies monitor your bandwidth and they can safely assume you as a pirate. Basically to host such a website, you'd need terrabytes of storage. The 500 GB hdd, that's going to hold 10-20 movies ? Better off buying the dvd. It's time to take back America, let them do as they will, don't go to a movie theatre and disconnect your cable/satellite. They lose enough revenue, you'll see how fast they realize that their own greed is their downfall.

Hellboy0

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
The point is the DVD will be in high def rather than standard def.

...which means a normal DVD on the currently popular large plasma's and LCD's looks like shit when compared to the Blue Ray. Otherwise, you'll see a significant blurring of the image. And you don't get to take part in the superior sound AND pic quality. Really is no comparison, once you've seen the different formats.

Meniscus

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Trust me there are TONS of pissed off HD DVD buyers...

Eh, I'm not terribly sympathetic. That's the risk you take if you just have to have the latest technology right away, rather than waiting to see which format would endure and then waiting for prices to come down a bit.

kirbster

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Eh, I'm not terribly sympathetic. That's the risk you take if you just have to have the latest technology right away, rather than waiting to see which format would endure and then waiting for prices to come down a bit.
I have to agree. It's not as if we all didn't know there were competing formats and that one would surely lose. But some people have just gotta have the latest and greatest. Their own stupidity.

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I wonder how long before computers with Blu-ray Disk burners come out and become the standard.

Most computers now have dual-layer DVD burning. I still use single layer disks because the dual layer disks were very expensive last time I checked.

Meniscus

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
...which means a normal DVD on the currently popular large plasma's and LCD's looks like shit when compared to the Blue Ray. Otherwise, you'll see a significant blurring of the image. And you don't get to take part in the superior sound AND pic quality. Really is no comparison, once you've seen the different formats.

I think my DVDs look and sound great on my regular TV. (Both my TV and my DVD player are less than 3 years old.) I've heard that regular DVDs look lousy on an HDTV, which to me is just a reason not to buy an HDTV, at least not until they come down so much in price that it's truly worth it to switch, not until Blu-ray disks are cheaper and more widely available, and not until Blu-ray players come down to the same price as a high-quality DVD player.

By the same token, regular TV doesn't look good on an HDTV, yet most programming isn't yet available in HDTV format. So why pay for an HDTV that's actually going to make the shows I watch look bad? Why should I spend even more for digital cable every month, plus hundreds (or thousands) of dollars for an HD-compatible TV and a Blu-ray player, when the available source media just isn't there yet?

I think HD is great as an option for people who want it and are willing to pay for it. I'll wait until the technology is affordable and firmly established. (The only problem with my plan is that by the time that happens, they'll be in the process of introducing another new format.) But for me it's better to be behind the times and buying everything cheap than to be cutting edge and paying top-dollar.

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I have a 32" LCD HDTV. Both regular TV and DVDs look great on it.

HD looks amazing. Even changing stations and passing a football game, the green on the field is incredible as are the reds in the uniform.

I seldom watch the HD channels. In my Cable system they are in the 700 numbers. Such as NYC channel 2 (CBS) is 702 in HD.

D

deleted15807

I have a 32" LCD HDTV. Both regular TV and DVDs look great on it.

HD looks amazing. Even changing stations and passing a football game, the green on the field is incredible as are the reds in the uniform.

I seldom watch the HD channels. In my Cable system they are in the 700 numbers. Such as NYC channel 2 (CBS) is 702 in HD.

HD and BlueRay are amazing. I bought a 52'' Sony Bravia LCD and it is simply breathtaking in HD. I had a party shortly after I bought it and everyone was simply blown away by the HD content. No need to go to the theater anymore.