New budget apparently eliminates direct US govt. involvement in human spaceflight

D

deleted15807

"I'm just an old country doctor. I'm not a miracle worker, Jim!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVhcB9ucmdg

This really bums me out. Thoughts?

The NYTimes article says:

If implemented, the NASA a few years from now would be fundamentally different from NASA today. The space agency would no longer operate its own spacecraft, but essentially buy tickets for its astronauts.

Obama Calls for End to NASA’s Moon Program - NYTimes.com

Last edited by a moderator:

Zeuhl34

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Really? Really? Goddamnit. NASA is ~0.5% of the national budget, and they're cutting it?

D

deleted15807

Really? Really? Goddamnit. NASA is ~0.5% of the national budget, and they're cutting it?

No........

Under the proposal, NASA’s budget would rise to $19 billion in the 2011 fiscal year from $18.7 billion. It would also get additional increases in subsequent years, reaching $21 billion in 2015. In total, NASA would receive $100 billion over the next five years

midlifebear

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
I apologize, Sargon. It's this old age thing, damn it! Thanks for the correct correction. :rolleyes::redface::smile::biggrin1:

Gotta get back to finishing my process for creating invisible, super-stregth aluminum. Bye bye now.

Last edited:

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
No it's not. The space program has resulted in numerable advances in science and technology that directly benefit us Earthlings.

You can continue to do space exploration with the use of robots and technology. In fact, most of the latest discoveries in our solar system were done without launching a single living thing in a rocket.

You don't need humans in space to continue the research. Hence the current cuts. Makes sense to me.

D

deleted15807

I apologize, Sargon. It's this old age thing, damn it! Thanks for the correct correction. :rolleyes::redface::smile::biggrin1:

Oh I'm sure Bones said it at some point. He was the comic foil for the entire life of Star Trek.

dreamer20

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media

FuzzyKen

Expert Member
Media
Manned space flight is anything but dead. If you are in doubt read about "Spaceport America" currently under construction in New Mexico.

What is happening is this. A man by the name of Bert Ruttan (hope that is spelled correctly) built a craft and has successfully flown that craft many times that is every bit as capable as the Space Shuttle. What he also proved was that he could do it for far less money than what has been done so far. He brought in investors with the capitol to really push this forward on a private level.

What in essence is happening is that the space program is being privatized. In all honesty it has been noticed that the Cape in Florida is also a security risk and it will over time be obsoleted and shut down.

In time space travel will become a necessity rather than a luxury and it is also a necessary part of the education of mankind.

NASA and other space organizations will still be involved and there are new facilites under construction in New Mexico with an idea of integrating into the private programs.

How successful this will be in the long term is unknown, but, based on who is behind it and the quantity of money being poured in by private industry and investors, it has a good chance of success.