New Docklands Steam Bath, London

Polaroid

Expert Member
Media
I see that New Docklands Steam Bath (traditional bathhouse with men-only days) has now reopened, but with new Covid-related rules including the wearing of swimwear at all times: Visit Our Spa | Everything you need to know before your visit

I cannot begin to understand why the new rule is necessary, or what it has to do with Covid. And what's the betting that it will be dispensed with once the pandemic is over? Once a long-standing but now unusual practice (in this case of men-only clothing optional days) has been dropped, it's very difficult to turn back the clock.

I'm still waiting for the Porchester Spa to reopen but maybe this will be the excuse they've always wanted to impose mandatory wearing of swimwear. "Never let a good crisis go to waste", as they say.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Lond0n90
D

deleted907269

This is ludicrous, I cannot believe the patrons will be fine with this change, I had the chance to go there on several occasions and the place is a gem, a trip back in time to the 80s, modest and very authentic. Sorry to hear gentrification has steamrolled another Docklands institution.

mike2411

Experimental Member
Media
The link does not work and I cannot find any reference to nudity being banned on the web site. It would be a shame if it is. By the way, I believe they throw people out if they are seen acting inappropriately.

D

deleted8567221

Anyone going this Sunday afternoon?

D

deleted19962541

Hey anyone been here or want to go today? Iv never been but wanna chill out naked somewhere
I've never been to New Docklands so I can't testify as to how strictly or otherwise the swimwear rules are enforced. I have, however, been to Porchester Spa (in Westminster, near Royal Oak tube) and can confirm that it's still clothing optional on men's days. Mixture of gents in swim shorts, towel wraps or towels over shoulders, no issues with being tackle out.

So does anything happen? Any cruising, any gay fun?
I've seen no evidence of sexual activity at Porchester and I suspect New Docklands is likewise. These places are set up with the purpose of providing a bathing and relaxation facility, not for cruising. Go somewhere like Pleasuredrome or Sweatbox if you're after action.

Reactions: Mattw1

Mattw1

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I've never been to New Docklands so I can't testify as to how strictly or otherwise the swimwear rules are enforced. I have, however, been to Porchester Spa (in Westminster, near Royal Oak tube) and can confirm that it's still clothing optional on men's days. Mixture of gents in swim shorts, towel wraps or towels over shoulders, no issues with being tackle out.

I've seen no evidence of sexual activity at Porchester and I suspect New Docklands is likewise. These places are set up with the purpose of providing a bathing and relaxation facility, not for cruising. Go somewhere like Pleasuredrome or Sweatbox if you're after action.
Would love to try porchestef

Reactions: deleted19962541
D

deleted19962541

Would love to try Porchester

Then my advice would be: go for it! It's easy going and, although some guys prefer to wear shorts, plenty of us go naked so you won't feel at all out of place by enjoying the facilities in the buff! You book in advance on the website - men only days are Monday, Wednesday and Saturday - and once you've done that you just need to remember to bring towels (you don't get freebies, and you'll need one to sit on as well as one for showering,) and a 20p coin for the lockers.

Feel free to DM me if you want to know anything else :)

Arms4days

Expert Member
Media
City of Westminster, England, United Kingdom
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Then my advice would be: go for it! It's easy going and, although some guys prefer to wear shorts, plenty of us go naked so you won't feel at all out of place by enjoying the facilities in the buff! You book in advance on the website - men only days are Monday, Wednesday and Saturday - and once you've done that you just need to remember to bring towels (you don't get freebies, and you'll need one to sit on as well as one for showering,) and a 20p coin for the lockers.

Feel free to DM me if you want to know anything else :)
Yep fully agree. I also go naked when here and it’s fine. Liberating and given the sauna here is properly hot it makes much more sense just to be fully naked. Sometimes the shorts / nude ratio is as high as 60:40

D

deleted19962541

Yep fully agree. I also go naked when here and it’s fine. Liberating and given the sauna here is properly hot it makes much more sense just to be fully naked. Sometimes the shorts / nude ratio is as high as 60:40
Yeah mate, it's proper roasting ain't it? The shorts thing is a total lottery, sometimes you walk in there and most of the other men are naked too, sometimes it's full and they're all in shorts and you feel a bit exposed walking in there with your dick out, but it's all good!

Reactions: Mattw1