New Era Dawns for EU

Hmmph - well, now that the Czech President has (reluctantly) ratified the Treaty, it means it will come into force unhindered by January 1. The current Swedish Presidency has called for an EU Summit to appoint the new EU Council President as soon as possible.

The UK Conservatives have now ended their campaign to give the British people the referendum they were promised, since the treaty has been fully ratified before they had a chance to come to power.

Europe will have much more ability to act on the world stage from now on, with a new President, Foreign Minister and more power centralised from the member states...whether that's a good or bad thing depends on your point of view. :frown1:

It's a good thing in general. At least Europeans don't run around suicide bombing each other and stoning adulterers.

Hmm...it's a bit of a slap in the face for democracy though. :(
And grrrr...we want out.

Some positive news Joll, the new president is probably going to be a Belgian :biggrin:

Better than Blair! :biggrin1:

Also, if it's him (Van Rompuy??) he's likely to be more of a chairman than a chief, so it will take longer for the EU to take centre stage - which is good.

It will also give Blair a while to negotiate whether his wife can have a crown or not (and a horse-drawn carriage) when he eventually becomes Emperor...sorry, President. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:

but its to late for that now.

I know. :frown1: The Czech President realised this and said he thought it was wrong for them and Europe, and bad for democracy - but that it's a train that has gone too far and too fast to be stopped and sent back.

The thing is - Cameron has now announced he wants to influence/reform it from within. Most UK politicians since Macmillan have thought like this - but there's no real point being on a train that's going to the wrong bloody place. :mad: Our attempts to turn it around or send it to somewhere else will only have limited success, as has been shown by the past 35 years.

123scotty

Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
At last === Europe needs a voice, a single voice on the world stage about world issues. Instead of the rabble at present. The u.s. and china both send out one message from each of there administrations. Europe has to stand up for European values. And value the Europeans within. Europe is far from perfect but it is easier to change from within. And not be the lone voice outside bickering and complaining. But have a look outside, do the countries like the u.S, china, arabic states. Does there systems work any better? At a time of great instability being within Europe is by far the better option.
and p.s. doesn't Belgium have allot going for it ? well Stella and chocolate there's two for starters

D_Doewell Dadong

Experimental Member
Media
At last === Europe needs a voice, a single voice on the world stage about world issues. Instead of the rabble at present. The u.s. and china both send out one message from each of there administrations. Europe has to stand up for European values. And value the Europeans within. Europe is far from perfect but it is easier to change from within. And not be the lone voice outside bickering and complaining. But have a look outside, do the countries like the u.S, china, arabic states. Does there systems work any better? At a time of great instability being within Europe is by far the better option.
and p.s. doesn't Belgium have allot going for it ? well Stella and chocolate there's two for starters

your going on like europe is a country. it isn't.

you might aswell go on how india, china,japan and pakistan should merge and make a united asia.

its all a load of toss. the european council is a pharse and they should pass a resolution to go Fuck themselves.

Dude...you're kinda singing from the official EU Commission hymnsheet...

Britain isn't yet part of a single European Superstate (almost though) - and a lot of people here don't want it. Check out if you really think it's a good idea, rather than just soundbites we're constantly fed from Brussels... [sorry to be patronising, and if these are genuinely your long-held, carefully thought out views, then I apologise. :smile:]

lucky8

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Europe (well, Romano Prodi) has actually stated that it wants to project itself as a model for world governance... (check me blog...)

Yes, most western world leaders have made comments along the same lines, although not always directed specifically towards only European nations. The evidence is out there, but most people don't know how to look at the big picture of what's going on globally. World court, world bank, IMF, UN, EU, NATO and the list goes on...all were formed for the same purpose...to standardize economic and political policy making across the entire western hemisphere...that's why Islamic fundamentalists hate the west (it's not because our of religion). The truth is sometimes more unbelievable than fiction...which is the case here. I just wish more people would swallow their pride and admit they were wrong regarding this conspiracy "theory", because it's not a theory, it's a reality

(I must say though, I do support globalization, but not in the way it's currently being pursued)

midlifebear

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
Despite my love for my UK friends (funniest people I know, very entertaining) there is a general consensus among Spaniards that it might be a good idea to "contain" the UK and keep it's citizens from traveling the rest of Europe. Of course, there is the money issue that causes Spain to grit its teeth. These rather odd, white-skinned and rather pasty people with a myriad of accents and amusing teeth configurations (all from the same island) come to frolic and have clandestine sexual encounters along the Costa del Sol (among other places) and drop lorries of Euros. Then they return to their island nation and behave completely differently. They'd never be so free and sexually open in the UK.

I have no great sympathy for the UK, except I truly do care deeply for my UK friends and colleagues who continue to keep me rolling on the floor laughing. I suppose, like the throes the USA is currently experiencing, that it's rather hard to give up the self-image burned in over a couple of centuries and face that one's native country is no longer the world power that it once was.

Regardless, even the Spaniards are betting the CEO of the EU will speak French instead of English. In fact, they're hoping it will be true.

eurotop40

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response

I think that's the point since today only big blocks count.
Somebody - I can't recall exactly - has predicted that in a couple of decades the world will be ruled by China, India and Brazil.
It is very hard to swallow for the UK not being the centre of the world any more (and continental europeans should never forget that they are free today mainly thanks to Churchill) and for instance that the mostly spoken language in Europe is German and not English.
The same has happened to France (maybe that's why they voted against the EU constitution) but at least the whole political world there really understands the challanges the West has to face today.

The evidence is out there, but most people don't know how to look at the big picture of what's going on globally. World court, world bank, IMF, UN, EU, NATO and the list goes on...all were formed for the same purpose...to standardize economic and political policy making across the entire western hemisphereQUOTE]

Yes. Europe also thinks it's the one to 'reform' these institutions...

Jason

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
It is very hard to swallow for the UK not being the centre of the world any more (and continental europeans should never forget that they are free today mainly thanks to Churchill) and for instance that the mostly spoken language in Europe is German and not English.

William Blake, England's eighteenth century mystic poet, wrote that the Garden of Eden was in England (and the tree of knowledge in Lambeth, where Lambeth Palace now stands). His poem "Jerusalem" is now the unofficial English anthem. It contains the line "And was the Holy Lamb of God on England's pleasant pastures seen", a reference to the New Testament idea of Christ walking with Adam in Eden, ie in England. The poem goes on to put forward the view that we should not cease until we have built the new Jerusalem in England. Blake's world picture was that Adam was an Englishman (and as Adam was made in the image of God ... I'll let you complete the sentence). The language of Eden was English.

Centre of the world is neither here nor there. It is centre of the universe that England claims. :biggrin1:

Jerusalem: YouTube - Jerusalem - Last Night of the Proms 06