'New Jews' stake claim to faith, culture

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
'New Jews' stake claim to faith, culture

(CNN) -- When Moses came down from Mount Sinai about 3,300 years ago, he couldn't have seen these Jews coming. A blogger writes about how one of Judaism's holiest days ended, for her, in a strip club, while elsewhere a guy strolls into a tattoo parlor requesting a Star of David. Two women exchange wedding vows in a Jewish ceremony, and hipsters toss back bottles of HE'BREW, The Chosen Beer. A full-time software developer prepares to lead a group in Jewish prayer, as a PhD candidate in Jewish thought pens a letter criticizing Israel's policies.
Meet the "New Jews," as some call them: pockets of post-baby boomers -- or more accurately Generation X and Millennial (Gen Y) Jews -- who are making one of the world's oldest known monotheistic faiths and its culture work for them and others in a time when, more than ever, affiliation is a choice. When they're getting inked with Hebrew letters or Jewish symbols, these Jews are not fretting about laws followed by the most observant. Nor are they haunted by the numbers tattooed on arms during the Holocaust, said Abrams, the 40-year-old filmmaker of St. Louis, Missouri. They're taking a bold stand today that they'll carry with them, permanently, into the future. "They're being overtly Jewish," Abrams said. "They're saying, 'I'm Jewish. I'm proud. And I'm willing to wear it on my skin.' "
I have no problem with people being proud of their faith as long as they don't prosletyze or terrorize. That said, 'Eeeww! pimples and tattoos on the same chest is just wrong.' :puke:

Zeuhl34

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I had two guys like that as roommates for about month last year. Not much to say about them other than that they were obviously proud of their Judaism. They ten went on to join one of the two Jewish frats.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I had two guys like that as roommates for about month last year. Not much to say about them other than that they were obviously proud of their Judaism. They ten went on to join one of the two Jewish frats.
There are Jewish Frats? :confused: