new kids: this ain't the hookup forum

D_alex8

Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
RideRocket said:
Correct. As Rob implied in his post, he has work to do in that area.
I think that everyone's problems with the new posts (together with the associated troll influx) is simply that it's been people posting brainlessly, without reading any previous posts here or taking time out to discover what the site is really about.

In other words, like the how-many-times-can-it-be-mentioned-before-my-sanity-withers Channel 4 "documentary", these first-time posters have made no effort to differentiate between 'sex' and 'body issues'.

And with every other post suddenly seeming to be a hook-up request, it redefines (and in my mind, undermines) the site, transforming it from a friendly supportive community into yet another generic contacts site. If it had been the latter when I first discovered it, then I would simply have moved on, rather than having made this a regular 'stop-in' on my online journeyings.

Shit, a serious post, just after I promised myself only to be an ironic smart-ass. :rolleyes:

RideRocket

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
alex8 said:
I think that everyone's problems with the new posts (together with the associated troll influx) is simply that it's been people posting brainlessly, without reading any previous posts here or taking time out to discover what the site is really about.

In other words, like the how-many-times-can-it-be-mentioned-before-my-sanity-withers Channel 4 "documentary", these first-time posters have made no effort to differentiate between 'sex' and 'body issues'.

And with every other post suddenly seeming to be a hook-up request, it redefines (and in my mind, undermines) the site, transforming it from a friendly supportive community into yet another generic contacts site. If it had been the latter when I first discovered it, then I would simply have moved on, rather than having made this a regular 'stop-in' on my online journeyings.

Shit, a serious post, just after I promised myself only to be an ironic smart-ass. :rolleyes:

I agree - it is frustrating with the influx of new people who don't truly appreciate what the site is for and about. I think this is one of those situations where in about a month things will go back to normal. The trolls and those looking for hook-ups will have left. On the positive side, there will be new members who will stay because they need and appreciate what teh site has to offer.

Matthew

Legendary Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Since the documentary is scheduled to air more times, brace yourself for this all to continue for awhile.

rawbone8

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
The board could benefit from a thoughtful reorganization to make some forums self evident.

The forum "Meet and Greet" does sound literally like the obvious place to post greetings and or hook-ups. Can't blame all the noobs for that.

The Meet and Greet topics up to now have been very generalized and miscellaneuous in nature. Why not change the forum name to something else like "LSPG At Large" or something? Have a renaming poll :rolleyes:.

Create a forum posting area specifically for newcomers to introduce themselves. And make that the top of the hierarchy so noobs try it first, and give them a "Read this first " short orientation, so fewer gratuitous threads are initiated.

Or NOT. The main reason I come here is for a laugh, the snarkier the putdown, the better. Reading a good caustic comment from Dr Rock usually makes my day. :biggrin1:

Matthew

Legendary Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
rawbone8 said:
The board could benefit from a thoughtful reorganization to make some forums self evident.

The forum "Meet and Greet" does sound literally like the obvious place to post greetings and or hook-ups. Can't blame all the noobs for that.

The Meet and Greet topics up to now have been very generalized and miscellaneuous in nature. Why not change the forum name to something else like "LSPG At Large" or something? Have a renaming poll :rolleyes:.

Create a forum posting area specifically for newcomers to introduce themselves. And make that the top of the hierarchy so noobs try it first, and give them a "Read this first " short orientation, so fewer gratuitous threads are initiated.

Or NOT. The main reason I come here is for a laugh, the snarkier the putdown, the better. Reading a good caustic comment from Dr Rock usually makes my day. :biggrin1:

Good points, rawbone. Also, I don't see what the problem is with the "Local LPSG" - it can't be used right now as the "hook up" section. If there was only an easy way to direct people there ...