New Look For LPSG

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by B_caneadea, Dec 31, 2005.

1. B_caneadea

B_caneadea New Member

I'm the "Cranky Old Lady" around here so I'll get this thing started.

Dear Rob E.,
    Please accept my comments as constructive criticism, since that is my intent. :)

With everything in the Forum Discussion section squished over to one side, alot of the print has become miniscule.

I don't need/want to see my avatar, a "Welcome Back Caneadea" billboard, a running tally of my posts, and my entire LPSG history splashed all over the top of the page. That could be entirely eliminated.

The "Recent Threads" section along the left side is something that I have no use for and would suggest removing.

Then, if you moved the "Search Forums", "Buddy List", and "Random Poll" to the top and/or bottom of the page, the "Discussion Forum" could be spread out to the full width again. And please go back to the larger print.

LPSG members: This is just my opinion. No need to attack. Thank you.
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    Please post your comments or suggestions. :)

2. GoneA

Gold Member

i guess i see what you mean caneadea ... coping with a new board can be difficult. but, in actuality, it's just like the last board - for the exception of color and the side-bar. if you continue with it (which i'm sure you will), you'll adapt to it in no time. everything that you say can be "eliminated" may prove to be useful to someone else ... adapting may be the only option. you'll be fine, kiddo.

3. mindseye

Gold Member

Greasemonkey is a Firefox extension that allows you to specify how websites you visit are to be viewed locally -- on a per-site basis. You could make eBay yellow on blue, Google blinking, and render all of LPSG in 36-point Palatino Bold if you were so inclined.

There's a steep-ish learning curve to get started, but it's worth it if you're a Cranky Old Lady.

4. Altairion

Gold Member

Albums:
    I tend to adjust to stuff the more I use it, but here are a couple quick ideas:

I like the random poll option. However, until the poll questions are more specific, there's no way to know what some of the polls really mean without finding the thread.

As for adding stuff to the left side of the screen, my suggestion would be to only include it on the mainpage of the forum. Once you access the individual boards or threads, then have those use the full width of the screen. I don't mind all of the new options, and personally I like statistics and such so I think they're useful. With this option, it should strike a balance. (If it's possible)

5. B_caneadea

B_caneadea New Member

I really like your ideas.
    You're always intelligent, innovative, and diplomatic.

Also, I would like to point out that the "Pigeon English" wording of the "Asian" poll has got to be insulting to any of our Asian friends here on the LPSG. It's lame.

6. Onslow

Gold Member

I can't say it really makes much of a difference what the board looks like as long as it works. Sure it's an inconvenience to see a different look every time I turn around but then again any time I go to any new place on the internet there's a new look and format to adapt to. I just want a format to be adapted and then to have it remain the same, if not for the rest of all time at least give it a 6 or 7 month run before tinkering with it--that is the part that bugs me most--I hate change.

7. hung

Gold Member

Albums:
    This new look is simply grand. I appreciate all the hard work someone put in to making it much more interesting. Thank You.

8. headbang8

Gold Member

Albums:
    I agree, Rob. Many thanks for your hard work and intiative.

9. MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK

MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK Well-Known Member

It's an interesting new look, but certains things still need fine tuning. One, I always need to center the screen when i get here. But that's easily worked out.

Draft saved Draft deleted