Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
We're turning into the Large Pistol Support Group..

Interesting that you say that. It IS a large pistol cartridge by definition. But, the .40 S&W is primed with a standard load, small pistol primer. *liiiiiitle tap* - Big results. ;>

And any action taken without consent against another is technically assault.... (casting a glance upward at previous posts)

WriterGirl

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Me neither. Been a pistol packing and licensed person to do so for the past three years. Sadly, men visit just as much pain and horror on other men, not just the ladies. :p Compact, .40 caliber for the ultimate win when one's back is against the wall - or getting out of a car...

Likely it is something like that, with raked plastic teeth that are painful, binding, but inaccessible. Attempts at prying or applying tools/pressure, etc. may make it much, much worse. Anyone got links to what this device *looks* like?

According to a segment on CNN, the device is painful to the man, to the point where he is unable to walk, or urinate. This is the link for the CNN site video about the condom. CNN.com - Breaking News, U.S., World, Weather, Entertainment & Video News

I agree with others posting that the possibility of additional violence toward the women is possible, but it sounds like the pain would be extremely unexpected and significant for the attacker. Hopefully it would be difficult for them to do anything further. I don't think that the woman who created this device, and the women who use them are ignorant of the possibility of additional violence that may occur. These women may not have the benefit of the same level of education or financial resources as women in western cultures, but they are not stupid, and to suggest they are unaware is condescending. I think we have to consider why they feel they need it, and why they would consider that risk worth taking.

It is clear that South Africa and other countries on that continent have very different value systems. S. Africa has one of the highest rates of rape in the world - the below article gives some information which indicates that 28% of men report having raped a woman before, and 1 in 20 reports having raped a woman within the past year. I have heard statistics that indicate it might even be higher. This is also a culture where AIDS/HIV infection is high, condom use is minimal, and there is a widespread belief among men that if they have sex with a virgin they will be "cured" of AIDS/HIV. So young girls and even female babies are targeted. There are a plethora of other cure myths as well involving sex with women, but the end result is that women have learned to take drastic measures to protect themselves. This is also not a new phenomenon, in the mid '90s I was an undergrad lab tech for an infectious disease research team, where the head refused to take women as part of the WHO team to South Africa because of this issue, even knowing that there was a group of armed UN military peacekeepers who would travel with. Although it was irritating not to be able to participate in collection of data firsthand, I can't say the decision was wrong.

I don't know what it would be like to live in a society where this would be part of everyday life. I think of the precautions I and other female travelers take when traveling alone for work, and I believe it definitely cannot compare to awareness the women in S. Africa must take of their environment. I don't think most people can even get a realistic idea of the precautions these women must take going about their daily activities. This is an article with some information about why the doctor created Rape-aXe (what the device is called). The picture is small, so it is hard to see the teeth.
South African doctor invents female condoms with 'teeth' to fight rape - CNN.com

petite

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
This rebuttal to the claims made by the promoters of Rape-Axe is from If She Cries Out a site "Voicing the wisdom of survivors of rape and terror."

Claim: It prevents rapes because men will avoid rape once they know some women are wearing the device. Only a few women need to use it. Just the fear that one might be bitten by it will stop attacks.

NO, because not all rapes are vaginal
NO, because one can avoid the device by raping another orafice.
NO, because rapist can insert a stick or other object to check for the presence of the device.
NO, because in South Africa, 44% of rapes are gang rapes and only the first gang member in would be affected, if at all.
NO, because more than half of rapists rape their own partners (spouses, girlfriends). This device presumes that rapist danger comes primarily from outside the home.
NO, because not all victims are adult women: 35% of reported sexual offences are against children and 16% are against males.

Claim:It gives women a chance to escape and so shortens the rape and reduces the total damage caused by the rape.

NO, because it doesn’t take into account that rapists sometimes restrain or kidnap their victim before penetration. Escape is not an option in those circumstances.
NO, because the device can be removed with a stick. Once removed, it can be turned inside out and reinserted into the vagina with hooks facing outward.
NO, because a rapist can buy it and wear it inside out.
NO, because even if the rapist does not remove the device, its presence removes fighting options from a woman. A rape doesn’t stop until the rapist leaves the scene or she escapes. A woman’s best chance of escape is her ability to adapt her defensive approach to the circumstances. If she judges that the rapist is likely to progress to murder if angered, she has NO way to stop the escalation, since she can’t very well remove the device.
NO, because it may sometimes make the rapist less able to withdraw his penis due to pain.
NO, because it doesn’t sedate and completely disable the rapist.
NO, because pain increases adrenalin and adrenalin makes the rapist faster, stronger, and more alert, thus more able to react and prevent escape attempts.
NO, because pain increases anger and anger may increase the level of violence or even motivate someone to kill in revenge.
NO, because the device only takes hold of a penis during penetration, meaning forced sexual activity has already occurred. The shortening is meaningless because the emotional trauma of forced sexual activity cannot be measured in the number or kind of acts.

Claim: It prevents infection with STDS and AIDS/HIV after rape.

NO, penetration isn’t the only AIDS vector during rape. A victim who is beaten or strangled or fights back is liable to have defensive wounds that break the skin and is liable to draw blood from her attacker. This too can result in AIDS transmission.
NO, it encourages anal rape (to avoid the device) and it won’t prevent AIDS due to anal rape.
NO, because the barbs used to cause pain can break the skin. Should the sheath tear in any way, the victim will be exposed to both blood and semen.
NO, because some rapists wear condoms simply to avoid leaving DNA evidence behind. In that case, it ruptures the condom and actually increases the possibility of penetration based infection.
NO, because rapists who rape only women are NO more likely to have HIV/AIDS then men in the general population at large.
NO, because condoms don’t prevent contact with genital warts or herpes sores
The method of choice to prevent AIDS/HIV due to rape, is a prophylactic anti-viral combination (PEP) within 72 hours after the rape. Because of the multiple possibilities for infection, even with this device, one would still need to take this treatment.

Claim: It insures the rapist will be caught and prosecuted because it can’t be taken off without doctor’s help.

NO, because black market, NO-questioned-asked “doctors” have always existed to help criminals avoid detection, so why wouldn’t that happen here?
NO, because the presence of a Rape-aXe on a penis still doesn’t prove rape. The rapist can say she forgot to take it out. If she was drunk, this might be believable. The case comes down to a debate that is all too often resolved in favor of the rapist: can a drunk person give consent? Alternatively, the rapist can say, she simply forgot it was in, and in the passion of the moment forgot to take it out. Thus the failure to remove it becomes the proof of consent rather than the proof of force.
NO, because extreme escape and prevention measures don’t necessarily prove non-consent. In Korea, the supreme court threw out a rape conviction even though the woman jumped six stories to escape the rapist. In the USA, a woman jumped out of a car to escape a rapist, and the rapist still wasn’t convicted.
NO, because it makes it less likely rather than more that a stranger rapist will be identified. The gold standard in identifying strangers is DNA from sperm left in the vaginal canal. The device would prevent any such evidence.
NO, because both inside and outside South Africa, most of the impediments to prosecuting rapists are in the follow-up: willingness of a victim to report, quality of the police report and forensic evidence gathering, failure to follow up on rape kits; resources available to prosecutors; cloudy notions of consent held by judges, juries, and sometimes the law itself; – verify.

Last edited:

helgaleena

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Petite, this is terrible and sad. But thanks for posting it anyway. If the things can be turned inside out they are simply a newer more diabolical weapon. I am crying now. Heaven help us all.

B_johnschlong

Experimental Member
Media
This is okay, but it doesn't address the root of the problem. The root of the problem is a society in which women are kept as slaves and where men can do whatever they want with impunity. South African justice doesn't work, and women are afraid to speak out.

So let's address these root problems too. They're more important than a quick technofix.

Our world is getting more and more obsessed with technofixes and gadgets that don't address the real underlying causes of the problems. This is a dramatically bad evolution in Western culture.

incubus08

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Petite, this is terrible and sad. But thanks for posting it anyway. If the things can be turned inside out they are simply a newer more diabolical weapon. I am crying now. Heaven help us all.

Yeah this circles back to these things being used for evil, but I honestly never thought of it being turned inside out. I guess that never occurred to me.

FRE

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Many of those arguments against the anti-rape condom may be true, but much of it is speculative. Only experience will determine their effectiveness and I have never seen a study based on experience. What they should do is explain the pros and cons to a large group of women and those who understand the pros and cons and still want to try it out, should be given the opportunity to do so.

As to being able to turn the device inside out, perhaps it would be possible to design it so that it could not be turned inside out.

londonhanger

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Yep, lack of consent IS what makes it rape. Not having a go at you, just genuinely curious, but why does that bewilder you?

I guess it's the fact that the same physical act can produce feelings of extreme pleasure and closeness, but take away consent and it becomes the polar opposite.

xemnasfury21

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight

Pretty sure it can't. Believe it was on one of the FAQs I was reading when I first saw this thread.

MickeyLee

Mythical Member
Staff
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
This rebuttal to the claims made by the promoters of Rape-Axe is from If She Cries Out a site "Voicing the wisdom of survivors of rape and terror."

fight back.. scream, kick, bite, scratch, punch, spit in their face.. just fight back. old self defense literature pointed out that most rapists look for easy targets, a woman willing to make a scene, willing to inflict injury on the attacker is more likely to get away. this is a fact.

spouting out a list of "oh it could be so much worse is you fight back" serves no purpose other than to cripple women with fear.

it's shameful to see women re-posting it.

eta: this is not to say women who are raped did not fight back or were in any way responsible or complicit in what happen to them. i'm just kinda stunned to hear women poo-pooing a device that might save someone's life, the product is far from a one stop fix or a guarantee of safety, but in some places any projection is better than none.

Last edited:

petite

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
fight back.. scream, kick, bite, scratch, punch, spit in their face.. just fight back. old self defense literature pointed out that most rapists look for easy targets, a woman willing to make a scene, willing to inflict injury on the attacker is more likely to get away. this is a fact.

spouting out a list of "oh it could be so much worse is you fight back" serves no purpose other than to cripple women with fear.

it's shameful to see women re-posting it.

eta: this is not to say women who are raped did not fight back or were in any way responsible for what happen to them. i'm just kinda stunned to hear women poo-pooing a device that might save someone's life, the product is far from a one stop fix or a guarantee of safety, but in some places any projection is better than none.

That's not the point of the rebuttal. The point isn't that women shouldn't fight back, but that for most women, survival is the most important result of rape, and this device threatens a woman's survival.

A gun or a stun-gun is a much better device for protecting oneself than this thing.

Last edited:

petite

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
so the rebuttal is if you fight back you might not survive... that's a great message

i personally would rather shuffle out this mortal coil going for the jugular than be consoled by the "it could have killed you" attitude.

This is a device that doesn't allow you to "fight back" until he's held you down and put his penis inside you! That makes it useless! And yes, during an assault, you might have to make a survival decision, and this device takes that choice away.

I would never blame a victim for making such a choice in order to live. It's not a "message," it acknowledges the realities of rape. That's more important than a political message that it women should fight back "no matter what."

The device is severely flawed. Once men know that women are using it, they're just going to change the way they go about a rape. It isn't difficult to remove. The creator said that knowledge that is being used is supposed to deter men from attempting rape. That's ridiculous. Men are just going figure out more and more ways to remove it first. It won't prevent rape, and it might provide a false sense of security.

Last edited:

MickeyLee

Mythical Member
Staff
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
This is a device that doesn't allow you to "fight back" until he's held you down and put his penis inside you! That makes it useless! And yes, during an assault, you might have to make a survival decision, and this device takes that choice away.

I would never blame a victim for making such a choice in order to live. It's not a "message," it acknowledges the realities of rape. That's more important than a political message that it women should fight back "no matter what."

The device is severely flawed. Once men know that women are using it, they're just going to change the way they go about a rape. It isn't that difficult to remove.

i was editing after you edited. and.. well.. starting from now.. unless someone edits again :redface:

alright, pretend you live in a country where over half 3/4 of the female population will be raped before they are 24 years of age. where HIV runs as high as 50% of the population. where birth control and medical care is almost non-existent.

pretend that if you are raped, if you seek medical care afterward, if you tell your family, if you seek to press changes you are shunned by your family and community. you will be abandoned by everyone you should be allowed to lean on for support.

the rape-prevention-condom will not prevent the initial assault.. but it will stop the rape on a dime. when the attacker pulls back to thrust again he's crippled. in that moment of his shock and panic you have precious seconds to escape.

with luck you prevent vaginal tears, you will prevent the asshole from ejaculating inside of you.. lessening your chance of pregnancy or infection from any one of a hundred diseases you can't get medical treatment for.

you have a chance.. a tiny moment to regain some of the power someone tired to take from you and a a chance to spare yourself some pain.

telling a woman she's only asking to be hurt more by defending herself is that same as telling her not to fight back. it's more of the same bullshit woman are fed everyday, spooned up for our own good to keep us safe. it's a lie. it's false security and it's more dangerous than most people realize.

the realities of rape are very different for women in affluent countries than it is for women in developing/impoverish nations.

eta: i never claimed the device was perfect, i said some power is better than no power. and the woman never looses her choice to survive.. for the women who choose to use this product, it is their method of survival.

eta: as a former street kid, i can see how homeless women, of any age, would also consider a rape-umm reduction?-condom a workable solution to a harsh reality. not perfect but better than nothing.

now i am just horrible bummed out and will probably avoid this thread for a bit. :frown:

Last edited:

petite

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
The rebuttal addressed all those points.

i was editing after you edited. and.. well.. starting from now.. unless someone edits again :redface:

alright, pretend you life in a country where over half 3/4 of the female population will be raped before they are 24 years of age. where HIV runs as high as 50% of the population. where birth control and medical care is almost non-existent.

pretend that if you are raped, if you seek medical care afterward, if you tell your family, if you seek to press changes you are shunned by your family and community. you will be abandoned by everyone you should be allowed to lean on for support.

the rape-prevention-condom will not prevent the initial assault.. but it will stop the rape on a dime. when the attacked pulls back to thrust again he's crippled. in that moment of his shock and panic you have precious seconds to escape.

with luck you prevent vaginal tears, you will prevent the asshole from ejaculating inside of you.. lessening your chance of pregnancy or infection from any one of a hundred diseases you can't get medical treatment for.

The rebuttal addressed all those points, but I'll re-post them because I feel like I'd just be re-explaining the points already made. (This rebuttal to the claims made by the promoters of Rape-Axe is from If She Cries Out a site "Voicing the wisdom of survivors of rape and terror.")

Claim: It prevents rapes because men will avoid rape once they know some women are wearing the device. Only a few women need to use it. Just the fear that one might be bitten by it will stop attacks.

NO, because not all rapes are vaginal
NO, because one can avoid the device by raping another orafice.
NO, because rapist can insert a stick or other object to check for the presence of the device.
NO, because in South Africa, 44% of rapes are gang rapes and only the first gang member in would be affected, if at all.

Claim:It gives women a chance to escape and so shortens the rape and reduces the total damage caused by the rape.

NO, because it doesn’t take into account that rapists sometimes restrain or kidnap their victim before penetration. Escape is not an option in those circumstances.
NO, because the device can be removed with a stick. Once removed, it can be turned inside out and reinserted into the vagina with hooks facing outward.
NO, because even if the rapist does not remove the device, its presence removes fighting options from a woman. A rape doesn’t stop until the rapist leaves the scene or she escapes. A woman’s best chance of escape is her ability to adapt her defensive approach to the circumstances. If she judges that the rapist is likely to progress to murder if angered, she has NO way to stop the escalation, since she can’t very well remove the device.
NO, because it may sometimes make the rapist less able to withdraw his penis due to pain.
NO, because it doesn’t sedate and completely disable the rapist.
NO, because pain increases adrenalin and adrenalin makes the rapist faster, stronger, and more alert, thus more able to react and prevent escape attempts.
NO, because pain increases anger and anger may increase the level of violence or even motivate someone to kill in revenge.
NO, because the device only takes hold of a penis during penetration, meaning forced sexual activity has already occurred. The shortening is meaningless because the emotional trauma of forced sexual activity cannot be measured in the number or kind of acts.

Claim: It prevents infection with STDS and AIDS/HIV after rape.

NO, penetration isn’t the only AIDS vector during rape. A victim who is beaten or strangled or fights back is liable to have defensive wounds that break the skin and is liable to draw blood from her attacker. This too can result in AIDS transmission.
NO, it encourages anal rape (to avoid the device) and it won’t prevent AIDS due to anal rape.
NO, because the barbs used to cause pain can break the skin. Should the sheath tear in any way, the victim will be exposed to both blood and semen.
NO, because some rapists wear condoms simply to avoid leaving DNA evidence behind. In that case, it ruptures the condom and actually increases the possibility of penetration based infection.
NO, because rapists who rape only women are NO more likely to have HIV/AIDS then men in the general population at large.
NO, because condoms don’t prevent contact with genital warts or herpes sores
The method of choice to prevent AIDS/HIV due to rape, is a prophylactic anti-viral combination (PEP) within 72 hours after the rape. Because of the multiple possibilities for infection, even with this device, one would still need to take this treatment.

you have a chance.. a tiny moment to regain some of the power someone tired to take from you and a a chance to spare yourself some pain.

telling a woman she's only asking to be hurt more by defending herself is that same as telling her not to fight back. it's more of the same bullshit woman are fed everyday, spooned up for our own good to keep us safe. it's a lie. it's false security and it's more dangerous than most people realize.

That situation assumes one attacker who is holding a woman down. It does not account for situations where there are more than one attacker or the woman is restrained. Those women don't have "one moment" to escape. As the rebuttal stated, 44% of all rapes in South Africa are gang rapes, so it won't prevent rape in those situations. And I'm sure that men have already figured out how to remove it. I believe there's a YouTube video showing how it will latch onto a banana. So that makes bananas effective at removing Rape-Axe. I wouldn't be criticizing it if I actually thought that it would help women, but I don't think it will. I don't think it will prevent rapes and I don't think it will help victims. So what good is it?

Anyone, woman or man, in a life or death situation like that needs to be able to adjust their behavior to the situation. That has nothing to do with gender politics or "messages" about how one should behave during a rape. That is just basic survival skills. A woman has the right to use the same basic survival skills as a man. That isn't about messages about how anyone ought to behave while being raped.

Depending on the situation, it might better for a victim not to fight back, and pre-judging a victim for making a survival choice like that is just another form of "victim blaming." The rape isn't the fault of the victim. He or she is just responding as best as he/she can in order to survive the situation with as little damage to oneself as possible. I don't apply the word "should" to victims.

I am going to quote from the rest of the article on Rape-Axe because it is worth reading:

If She Cries Out said:
Ineffectiveness should not and cannot be ignored. Advocacy and fund raising for an ineffective device distracts attention and resources from proven rape prevention methods.

Advocating use of an ineffective device, reduces it to a symbol. But this isn’t any symbol. This is an invasive symbol that must be inserted into the body. Not every woman will be willing to use it. But if it is a symbol, then its absence in a woman’s body is also symbolic. The last thing women need is to be considered “asking for it” because they failed to wear a device that not only fails to prevent rape, but can in fact endanger the victim. What would someone do the first time a lawyer claimed that refusing to use the device implied willingness to have sex? And what about the woman who wears it? If helping a rapist remove one’s jeans implies consent, why wouldn’t removing the Rape-aXe be treated the same way?

Only rapists cause rape and the best way to prevent rape is to get rapists off the streets and change social attitudes that lead to rape in the first place. Rapists in South Africa view rape as a way to prove manhood or a form of male bonding. Reporting and conviction rates are low.

To protect women from rape, governments must improve police statement taking, clarify the meaning of consent in rape and insure prosecutions lead to reasonable conviction rates and punishment. To protect women from rape, society must insure that women who are raped have access to immediate and comprehensive health care to treat the ill effects of rape. To protect women from rape, men must continue their efforts to find and teach each other new non-destructive ways to define manhood.

Last edited:

Enid

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
just a friendly heads up, if that rebuttal is a re-post from somewheres else you might wanna edit the the portion you copied down a bit, the mods only allow for us to re-post a small portion of stuff posted on other sites. :smile:

eta: as a former street kid, i can see how homeless women, of any age, would also consider a rape-umm reduction?-condom a workable solution to a harsh reality. not perfect but better than nothing.

now i am just horrible bummed out and will probably avoid this thread for a bit. :frown:

:heart:

petite

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
just a friendly heads up, if that rebuttal is a re-post from somewheres else you might wanna edit the the portion you copied down a bit, the mods only allow for us to re-post a small portion of stuff posted on other sites. :smile:

:heart:

Thanks for the heads up, but I don't think I've quoted more than I've seen other people quote from other websites, like CountryGuy63's post from Craigslist "To the Straight Guy at the Party Last Night." This is certainly shorter than that! And he quoted the whole page! (That thread is hilarious. You must read it.)

I did forget to include the reference link, so I added that.

Last edited: