New Router?

B_ScaredLittleBoy

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Okay so I am in need of a new router. I am having connection problems with disconnections and things on the current router.

The current router is a BT Voyager 2091 and only has a USB and ethernet port.

Any ideas on which to get next?

I want one that is good for remote networking.

I have been looking at this:

http://www.broadbandstuff.co.uk/pro...=792&osCsid=e0e924209fbc45f3763fb3dc204d99a3&

But don't know whether to get a Netgear or Linksys or Belkin.

Last edited:

flame boy

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I would suggest avoid Linksys, they aren't very good. I bought 3 of them before I learnt that. I have now had a DLink router for coming on to 2 years without any sniff of a problem. They are a touch more expensive (by about £20-£50) but well worth it.

MarkLondon

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I've never used Linsys. Never had problems with DLink - they've been around for a very long time. But I usually use Netgear networking stuff nowadays - it's cheaper and just as good as far as I know.

Smartalk

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I Strongly recommend a Netgear Router from my own personal experience. I had problems from day one with my internet connection. I contacted the network provider and they said that there was nothing wrong with my service. I then contacted Netgear who gave me excellent, first class service. They did everything possible to try and resolve my problem, even access my router remotely (with my permission) and tested and reconfigured my router for me. Unfortunately the problemed remain, I therefore contacted Netgear support again. Without any hesitation they said that they would send me another router by courier, who would also collect the suspected faulty one I had.

Again the problem remained, which confirm my initial thoughts that it was my network provider all the time. Armed with all my evidence I was able to get an admission from my provider that yes they were the cause, due to there system not able to cope with the number of users. I was able to cancel my 12 month contact, only 3 months into it, without incurring any penalties or disconnection charges.

Netgear certainly have a superb technical support team, very curtious, and very very helpful.

It you could be having the same problem. There is also the possiblity that a software upgrade for your router may resolve the problem

Hope this helps.

Deno

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I agree about linksys and dlink, It gave me all kinds of problem when it came to configuration of my p2p programs. I couldn't successfully setup open ports with my firewall. I'd go with netgear since I was able to get that to work easily and I am not that knowledgeable about networking. I did find out one thing though working with routers, Software wizards suck and your better off setting up things manually.

Last edited:

B_ScaredLittleBoy

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Thanks everyone. This is the one I've bought:

Amazon.co.uk: D-Link DSL-2542B ADSL Wired Modem Router - ADSL2+ Router with 4 Port 10/100 Switch (Annex A): Electronics & Photo

(Not bought from Amazon).

Seems like it would do everything I want. Another thing is that I want fast speeds. On the current router streaming videos buffer a lot. Which is inconvenient if you're masturbating :tongue: lol.

But anyway, hopefully this new router will give me faster speeds and allow me connect to her from outside.

I did have the remote network working but it stopped working all of a sudden. Maybe because I've switched to the onboard ethernet?

Thanks for your input everyone!

Dorian_Gray

Cherished Member
Media
Thanks everyone. This is the one I've bought:

Amazon.co.uk: D-Link DSL-2542B ADSL Wired Modem Router - ADSL2+ Router with 4 Port 10/100 Switch (Annex A): Electronics & Photo

(Not bought from Amazon).

Seems like it would do everything I want. Another thing is that I want fast speeds. On the current router streaming videos buffer a lot. Which is inconvenient if you're masturbating :tongue: lol.

But anyway, hopefully this new router will give me faster speeds and allow me connect to her from outside.

I did have the remote network working but it stopped working all of a sudden. Maybe because I've switched to the onboard ethernet?

Thanks for your input everyone!

ADSL2+ is good for about 20-30mbps. Most dsl companies haven't got the equipment for 20-30mbps dsl connections soo.. Anyways, if you you're having a lot of buffering while loading videos you might need to check the packet latency, 30-40ms is pretty good. If your latency is above 100ms you might need to call your dsl provider and ask them to re-sync your connection at a lower "high-end cap". Most "high-end caps" around here are 8124mbps, but the service only runs at 6-6.5mbps. So they give you a little breathing room so that in the future when they have upgraded capacity in your area they can just bump the speed up without to much hassle. If you don't mind me asking... which modem and service provider do you have currently?