New Rule on Guns in Parks Takes Effect February 22

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Principessa, Feb 20, 2010.

1. Principessa

Gold Member

New Rule on Guns in Parks Takes Effect February 22

I'm an NRA member and unlike some people, I believe the 2nd Amendment should stand as it is and not be repealed.

That said, this is wrong. There is no good reason to have a gun in a national park. :no:

I agree, national parks are not supposed to be hunting reserves.

While there have been a number of violent crimes in parks allowing people to carry guns for self-defense does not guarantee that the rapes, muggings, murders etc will decrease. Who defines what guns are strictly for self defense? Can you carry a .32, a Glock, a Desert Eagle? Some people think it's okay to use an AK-47 for deer hunting. :confused: I don't want those people armed and in the park when I'm just there for a picnic or to enjoy the sites.

2. Drifterwood

Gold Member

Damn it. Another invasion plan thwarted by those pesky NRA. :smile:

3. maxcok

Gold Member

As a great lover of the great outdoors, I am in total agreement with you on this. Guns do not belong in our National Parks except in the hands of law enforcement. The neo-conservative Republicans who have taken over my state legislature have been on a mission to pass a whole raft of measures to appeal to their base. Among these were laws to allow guns in all public parks in Tennessee - municipalites, counties and rural areas. Local jurisdictions had a brief period of time to opt out, and many did, but as I understand it that window has now closed.

Of course, bad actors are going to carry guns anywhere - but at least they would think twice, and there would be legal recourse, if the bans stayed in effect. Like you, I strongly support the 2nd Amendment, the same as all the rights granted to us a citizens. But those rights are not absolute. As mentioned in another thread - we have freedom of speech, but you cannot yell 'Fire' in a crowded theater.

By the way, you can thank your beloved NRA for the push to loosen gun restrictions in Tennessee and all across the nation. It's not about protecting the right to bear arms, it's about gun dealers getting to sell more guns. I encourage you to consider revoking your membership and telling them why. They are absolutists, and I would never send them another dirty dime.

#3 maxcok, Feb 20, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2010
  4. ericbythebay

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Perhaps the parks should place some limits on the first amendment, less paper allowed in the parks would cut down on litter.

Funny how the Feds typically want exemptions from state laws on their property, but in this case they want state laws to apply.

5. ericbythebay

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Before this law goes into effect, it is illegal to drive across the Golden Gate Bridge with a properly unloaded and secured firearm or on any other road or highway that passes through a national park.

6. maxcok

Gold Member

That's quite a leap. Maybe you should try out for the summer Olympics.

This is a huge inconvenience? Before you answer, consider that I could be a responsible gun owner.

7. B_Hickboy

B_Hickboy New Member

Well, I will not go backpacking in grizzly country without a powerful handgun. I guess I'll just have to figure out a way to sneak one in.

8. ericbythebay

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Sometimes you eat the bear, sometimes the bear eats you.

9. B_Hickboy

B_Hickboy New Member

Sometimes I am the bear.

10. B_talltpaguy

B_talltpaguy New Member

I'm a big teddy bear.

Plus, I say who cares? We've got guns everywhere else, why not in the parks? I say if we're going to gun it up, let's gun it up right.

11. maxcok

Gold Member

You look like you're gunnin it up right!

Draft saved Draft deleted