New Rule on Guns in Parks Takes Effect February 22

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
New Rule on Guns in Parks Takes Effect February 22

On February 22, a new law on guns in national parks takes effect. The law repeals a National Park Service rule that has long prohibited Americans from lawfully possessing firearms in national parks for self-defense.

The new law, passed last spring by an overwhelming bipartisan vote in the U.S. Senate, will allow people to possess, carry and transport firearms in national parks, in accordance with state law.

However, many details remain to be worked out. Reports indicate that National Park Service officials are debating issues such as the definition of “federal facilities,” where firearms will remain prohibited under a different federal law.
NPS officials are expected to issue further information as February 22 approaches, and some parks have already published information on their new policies. Because state laws vary greatly, before you visit a national park, you should check the park’s website or call the park headquarters for more information. NRA will also provide updates as they become available.

I'm an NRA member and unlike some people, I believe the 2nd Amendment should stand as it is and not be repealed.

That said, this is wrong. There is no good reason to have a gun in a national park. :no:

Scot McElveen, president of the Association of National Park Rangers, said that the new law violates the Park Service's original mission to serve as a preserve for the United States' natural resources and wildlife.
I agree, national parks are not supposed to be hunting reserves.

While there have been a number of violent crimes in parks allowing people to carry guns for self-defense does not guarantee that the rapes, muggings, murders etc will decrease. Who defines what guns are strictly for self defense? Can you carry a .32, a Glock, a Desert Eagle? Some people think it's okay to use an AK-47 for deer hunting. :confused: I don't want those people armed and in the park when I'm just there for a picnic or to enjoy the sites.

maxcok

Expert Member
Media
As a great lover of the great outdoors, I am in total agreement with you on this. Guns do not belong in our National Parks except in the hands of law enforcement. The neo-conservative Republicans who have taken over my state legislature have been on a mission to pass a whole raft of measures to appeal to their base. Among these were laws to allow guns in all public parks in Tennessee - municipalites, counties and rural areas. Local jurisdictions had a brief period of time to opt out, and many did, but as I understand it that window has now closed.

Of course, bad actors are going to carry guns anywhere - but at least they would think twice, and there would be legal recourse, if the bans stayed in effect. Like you, I strongly support the 2nd Amendment, the same as all the rights granted to us a citizens. But those rights are not absolute. As mentioned in another thread - we have freedom of speech, but you cannot yell 'Fire' in a crowded theater.

By the way, you can thank your beloved NRA for the push to loosen gun restrictions in Tennessee and all across the nation. It's not about protecting the right to bear arms, it's about gun dealers getting to sell more guns. I encourage you to consider revoking your membership and telling them why. They are absolutists, and I would never send them another dirty dime.

Last edited:

ericbythebay

Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
Perhaps the parks should place some limits on the first amendment, less paper allowed in the parks would cut down on litter.

Funny how the Feds typically want exemptions from state laws on their property, but in this case they want state laws to apply.

maxcok

Expert Member
Media
Perhaps the parks should place some limits on the first amendment, less paper allowed in the parks would cut down on litter. . . .
That's quite a leap. Maybe you should try out for the summer Olympics.

Before this law goes into effect, it is illegal to drive across the Golden Gate Bridge with a properly unloaded and secured firearm or on any other road or highway that passes through a national park.
This is a huge inconvenience? Before you answer, consider that I could be a responsible gun owner.

B_talltpaguy

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I'm a big teddy bear.

Plus, I say who cares? We've got guns everywhere else, why not in the parks? I say if we're going to gun it up, let's gun it up right.