New Sherlock Holmes novel - homophobic?

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Joll, Nov 20, 2011.

1. Joll

Gold Member

Albums:
    *SPOILER ALERT*

Having a rant here, basically - since I've just finished the new Holmes book, 'House of Silk, which was excellently written - apart from the ending, which descends into pretty grim 'gay villain' mode.

It ends up (after an admittedly fascinating story) that a lot of powerful figures (MPs, Doctors, Aristocrats, Police) are using a gay brothel where they abuse underage boys - and will stop at nothing to prevent the truth emerging about their 'debased perversion', including murder and the torture/killing of a 13 yr old boy. Hmmm.

I realise this sort of thing happens occasionally (in 1890 lol), but is it really likely that a whole host of high-ranking officials are not only gay - but paedophiles and murderers (with a link being implied) to boot? Also, the main complainant in the case is an effete, art-dealer with a weak constitution, who marries to spite his domineering mother and sister, and to act as a facade to cover up his homosexuality (and visiting of said pedo brothel). More dodgy stereotypes?

Just done a bit of research on the author, Anthony Horowitz, and it seems he has a problem with political correctness preventing authors from using gays or blacks as villains. Hmmm. I don't personally have a problem with any group of ppl being villains in a book - as long as they are used as heroes too, in the same proportion (Holmes himself is arguably gay, altho this element is taken out of the story by marrying Dr. Watson off).

Maybe I'm over-reacting here, but tbh, I can't see how he's got away with it, and it definitely seems to highlight a particularly negative view the author has of gays. :mad:

Any thoughts??

#1 Joll, Nov 20, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2011
  2. Klingsor

Gold Member

Albums:
    Wasn't gonna' buy it anyway.

3. Bbucko

Gold Member

Albums:
    I think that the author wants to create disabled, gay and/or black villains precisely because he feels that he cannot. I'm much more of an Agatha Christie fan, myself.

4. Joll

Gold Member

Albums:
    LOL!

Yeh, I agree. I wouldn't mind so much if the villains (or heros) just happened to be gay/black or whatever and it wasn't relevant to their character. However, the fact that being gay is essential to their criminality is what ruins it. He has both good and bad 'fat' characters, whose size is irrelevant to their nature - but all the gay characters are either evil or ineffectual, which kinda shows where his opinions lie on the matter.

And cheers for responding, guys. :D

5. Rikter8

Gold Member

Albums:
    Post up a review on Amazon and other sites of the book. List out a spoiler and why you feel the way you do about it.

The more people know, the less he will make on the book.

6. Joll

Gold Member

Albums:
    True. :p

7. PhoenixInvictus

Verified

Verified:
    Photo
    writing a book myself.... a writer will write what they will, for better or worse, if they can't, there's no point in writing. Besides Dean Koontz and Stephen King have better Villains anyway!! When I finish my novel Joll, you'll be one of the first to get it!!

8. Joll

Gold Member

Albums:
    Aww, cheers Phoe! :D

Draft saved Draft deleted