New strain of HIV found; AIDS in 3 months

surferboy

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I so don't wanna be a downer and like, bring down the mood of this pace. But like, my brother came across this article on one of his message boards and sharred it with me. I was totally scared when I read it, and like, I thought I'd share it here. This is a very serious subject, and I love everyone here so much, so I thought I'd inform everyone.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=100...id=azBO_AumTJhs

According to this article, the new strain of HIV can become full blown AIDS in only 3 months :( :( :( :(

Now, I've never heard of this site, so, again, I'm hoping this is a cruel joke.

NineInchCock_160IQ:
Originally posted by surferboy@Feb 13 2005, 03:07 AM
I so don't wanna be a downer and like, bring down the mood of this pace. But like, my brother came across this article on one of his message boards and sharred it with me. I was totally scared when I read it, and like, I thought I'd share it here. This is a very serious subject, and I love everyone here so much, so I thought I'd inform everyone.

According to this article, the new strain of HIV can become full blown AIDS in only 3 months :( :( :( :(

[post=282530]Quoted post[/post]​

check the CDC. They have their own web page. I'm not interested enough myself to do the research...

MisterMark

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Originally posted by surferboy@Feb 12 2005, 11:07 PM

It ain't a joke, my friend. Bloomberg is a reputable news source, and if you check any other news site, you'll see the same story. Sorry. :(

surferboy

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Originally posted by MisterMark+Feb 13 2005, 04:12 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MisterMark &#064; Feb 13 2005, 04:12 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-surferboy@Feb 12 2005, 11:07 PM
I so don&#39;t wanna be a downer and like, bring down the mood of this pace. But like, my brother came across this article on one of his message boards and sharred it with me. I was totally scared when I read it, and like, I thought I&#39;d share it here. This is a very serious subject, and I love everyone here so much, so I thought I&#39;d inform everyone.

Now, I&#39;ve never heard of this site, so, again, I&#39;m hoping this is a cruel joke.

It ain&#39;t a joke, my friend. Bloomberg is a reputable news source, and if you check any other news site, you&#39;ll see the same story. Sorry. :(
[post=282551]Quoted post[/post]​
[/b][/quote]

Bummer. AIDS is like, totally preventable too. I didn&#39;t mean to harsh everyone&#39;s mellow with this article. I&#39;m all for like, having places where people who use IV drugs can go to get clean needles so that don&#39;t have to share. I&#39;m also for like, places where teens who are too embarrassed to buy condoms can go to get freebies.

FrankPipeliner

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
surferboy, tx for the public service announcement. scientists have much work to do in determining if this is a new and more virulent strain of hiv (super hiv). let&#39;s hope its not and that there are other reasons for the findings. nevertheless, it should be a reminder to all of us who are sexually active (str8 or gay) and not in a stable monogamous relationship. PEOPLE, BE CAREFUL OUT THERE.

hung_big: Thanks Nixxy,

That&#39;s just another thing that&#39;s gonna kill us. With all of the diseases and illnesses out there, it really is a wonder that we aren&#39;t all dead. Think about it for a second: All STDs, Cancers, Infectious Viruses, Bacterial Diseases, there must be billions of illnesses alone that could kill is. Uhh, I&#39;ll just stop now, don&#39;t wanna depress anyone.

Anywho, I just want everyone on here to watch out for themselves. I don&#39;t want anyone to get hurt, BE CAREFUL.

Thanks again Nixxy

surferboy

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Originally posted by FrankPipeliner@Feb 13 2005, 08:52 AM
surferboy, tx for the public service announcement. scientists have much work to do in determining if this is a new and more virulent strain of hiv (super hiv). let&#39;s hope its not and that there are other reasons for the findings. nevertheless, it should be a reminder to all of us who are sexually active (str8 or gay) and not in a stable monogamous relationship. PEOPLE, BE CAREFUL OUT THERE.
[post=282577]Quoted post[/post]​

It&#39;s more than just safe sex though. It&#39;s also the people who share IV drug needles. I don&#39;t care if drugs like heroin are illegal, I think the government should have places where they can get free needles. My dad has MS, and has been on two injectable medications. He&#39;s still on one, but from the other one, he had a ton of needles left over, so we found an "underground" depository to bring them for IV drug addicts.

MisterMark

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Originally posted by surferboy+Feb 13 2005, 08:48 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(surferboy &#064; Feb 13 2005, 08:48 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-FrankPipeliner@Feb 13 2005, 08:52 AM

It&#39;s more than just safe sex though. It&#39;s also the people who share IV drug needles. I don&#39;t care if drugs like heroin are illegal, I think the government should have places where they can get free needles. My dad has MS, and has been on two injectable medications. He&#39;s still on one, but from the other one, he had a ton of needles left over, so we found an "underground" depository to bring them for IV drug addicts.
[post=282589]Quoted post[/post]​
[/b][/quote]

Oh wow - it sound like you have a very cool father. :)

surferboy

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Originally posted by MisterMark+Feb 13 2005, 01:50 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MisterMark &#064; Feb 13 2005, 01:50 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by surferboy@Feb 13 2005, 08:48 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-FrankPipeliner
@Feb 13 2005, 08:52 AM

[post=282589]Quoted post[/post]​

Oh wow - it sound like you have a very cool father. :)
[post=282622]Quoted post[/post]​
[/b][/quote]

He has his moments. Him and I aren&#39;t that close. He wished I turned out more like hm, but I&#39;m basically a male version of my mom. My brother Chad is his fav because they&#39;re exactly alike.

D_Martin van Burden

Account Disabled
Media
Originally posted by surferboy@Feb 13 2005, 04:18 AM
Bummer. AIDS is like, totally preventable too. I didn&#39;t mean to harsh everyone&#39;s mellow with this article. I&#39;m all for like, having places where people who use IV drugs can go to get clean needles so that don&#39;t have to share. I&#39;m also for like, places where teens who are too embarrassed to buy condoms can go to get freebies.
[post=282554]Quoted post[/post]​

I&#39;m supportive of that stuff, but it&#39;s a shame that our government probably isn&#39;t as sympathetic as we are. As much as I would love to help people in those positions, should they not feel the same way, I would rather put my tax dollars into making sure these people are safe enough in the meantime so that if they do ever want to break the habit, they can seek much needed treatment.

And similarly, abstinence programs haven&#39;t fulfilled the holy promise that kids will feel less tempted to try premarital sex. Again, all supportive here of the kids that make that vow and keep it; and I equally feel for the teens who have their sexual urges, want fulfillment, but feel embarrassed (or nowadays, ashamed) to even breach the topic with their parents, let alone look into contraceptive options.

We gotta take off our rose-colored glasses and start seeing reality for what it is.

jonb

Sexy Member
Media
There is one good thing about this new HIV strain; if it kills the patient rapidly, that decreases the number of people who can infect you, and, I don&#39;t mean to sound harsh, but better him than me.

As for abstinence programs, I&#39;m reminded of the South Park episode where they were visited by the "Butt Out" campaign. "If you don&#39;t smoke, you can grow up to be as cool as us." And the next scene, the kids are all chain smoking.

And yes, I&#39;m in favor of needle "buy-back" programs and free condoms. I mean, we&#39;ve seen how well the drug war worked; let&#39;s not start a sex war.

surferboy

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Originally posted by DeeBlackthorne+Feb 13 2005, 03:43 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DeeBlackthorne &#064; Feb 13 2005, 03:43 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-surferboy@Feb 13 2005, 04:18 AM
[post=282554]Quoted post[/post]​

I&#39;m supportive of that stuff, but it&#39;s a shame that our government probably isn&#39;t as sympathetic as we are. As much as I would love to help people in those positions, should they not feel the same way, I would rather put my tax dollars into making sure these people are safe enough in the meantime so that if they do ever want to break the habit, they can seek much needed treatment.

And similarly, abstinence programs haven&#39;t fulfilled the holy promise that kids will feel less tempted to try premarital sex. Again, all supportive here of the kids that make that vow and keep it; and I equally feel for the teens who have their sexual urges, want fulfillment, but feel embarrassed (or nowadays, ashamed) to even breach the topic with their parents, let alone look into contraceptive options.

We gotta take off our rose-colored glasses and start seeing reality for what it is.
[post=282644]Quoted post[/post]​
[/b][/quote]

Don&#39;t et me started about abstinence only. Studies have shown that the teens that are in abstinence only programs are more likely to not only have premarital sex younger, but also unprotected, and the AO teens have more pregnancies. I think it&#39;s very important that teens are taught a real sex ed course. now, I don&#39;t care if you promote abstinence above all else. That&#39;s fine. But it&#39;s important teens are taught how to use condoms, and that wanting to have sex is natural.

jonb

Sexy Member
Media
Yeah, there&#39;s a difference between promoting abstinence and deliberate misinformation; the current "abstinenece only" paradigm provides deliberate misinformation.

I think American sex education, in either paradigm, misses out on a lot of the social and psychological aspects of sex, though.

jeepwranglerboi

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
"The number of people killed in the tsunami is the same as
the number of people in the world who die of AIDS every 18
days."

-- NBC News Chief Health and Science Correspondent Robert
Bazell in a Jan. 5 e-mail to veteran gay activist Larry
Kramer.

That is die of AIDS, not HIV or complications. Those are pretty frightening statistics, no?

surferboy

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Originally posted by jeepwranglerboi@Feb 15 2005, 02:53 PM
"The number of people killed in the tsunami is the same as
the number of people in the world who die of AIDS every 18
days."

-- NBC News Chief Health and Science Correspondent Robert
Bazell in a Jan. 5 e-mail to veteran gay activist Larry
Kramer.

That is die of AIDS, not HIV or complications. Those are pretty frightening statistics, no?
[post=283321]Quoted post[/post]​

Yah, those are some scary stats. What makes it even worse is that it&#39;s something that is SO preventable.

Kimahri

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Originally posted by surferboy@Feb 15 2005, 09:38 AM
While on the subject of AIDS, read this:

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/_/id/5939950

It&#39;s about these fuckin morons who wantto be infected. It gets them off&#33; How fucked is that?&#33;
[post=283266]Quoted post[/post]​

Of all people, I&#39;d never expect a judgement thing from you. On the flip side of those guys are the people who exhibit the "survivor&#39;s guilt", which I&#39;m subject to. After seeing the quilt and knowing people that passed, I felt awful that I hadn&#39;t caught it and passed too. Some of them died because of callous people.

:angry:

jonb

Sexy Member
Media
If it helps matters, bugchasers seem to be an urban legend. Neither Forstein nor Cabaj had ever said that the bugchasing phenomenon was common.

Most gay men, especially most seropositive gay men, look down on them, for obvious reasons.

surferboy

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Originally posted by Kimahri+Feb 15 2005, 04:14 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Kimahri &#064; Feb 15 2005, 04:14 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by surferboy@Feb 15 2005, 09:38 AM
While on the subject of AIDS, read this:

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/_/id/5939950

It&#39;s about these fuckin morons who wantto be infected. It gets them off&#33; How fucked is that?&#33;
[post=283266]Quoted post[/post]​

Of all people, I&#39;d never expect a judgement thing from you. On the flip side of those guys are the people who exhibit the "survivor&#39;s guilt", which I&#39;m subject to. After seeing the quilt and knowing people that passed, I felt awful that I hadn&#39;t caught it and passed too. Some of them died because of callous people.

:angry:
[post=283344]Quoted post[/post]​
[/b]

I know it&#39;s totally not like me to judge, but like, to willing pass the virus onto other, even if they ask for it, is, in my eyes, murder. I&#39;m a huge AIDS education advocate, and I did my required volunteer hours (oxymoron, I know) with a whole bunch of AIDS orgs down here. I thinks it&#39;s fuckin disgusting to even say yes to these people. I don&#39;t give a shit if yer horny and need sex, there are ways to get off with another person that has a low risk of passing on the virus.

<!--QuoteBegin-jonb
@Feb 15 2005, 04:18 PM
If it helps matters, bugchasers seem to be an urban legend. Neither Forstein nor Cabaj had ever said that the bugchasing phenomenon was common.

Most gay men, especially most seropositive gay men, look down on them, for obvious reasons.
[post=283350]Quoted post[/post]​
[/quote]

Well, I totally hope that bug chasers are an urban legend. Like I just said, I think anyone who knowingly and willingly passes on the virus should be locked away for murder 1.