New Supreme Court Nominee

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Freddie53, Nov 1, 2005.

1. Freddie53

Gold Member

We have a new nominee for the Supreme Court. First thing I find out was he ruled as an apellete judge that women get permission from their husbands to get an abortion. At least that is what I understood from the sound bite on TV.

The U.S. Supreme Court overturned that ruling. At least up to now women were free U.S. citizens. Things aren't looking good now. The extreme right is overjoyed. That alone is reason for alarm.

Perhaps women should consider taking lessons from our dear friends in Saudi Arabia on how to walk behind their husbands and keep their faces from public view as well.

Never has so much hurt to America been done by so few in American history. I have to give George Bush credit, he has successfully lead an operation that will ultimately completely destroy what is left of our democracy. Our only hope is America will wake up and return control of Congress, especially the Senate, to the Democrats next November. Hopefully the Bush Adminstration won't stage a coup under the Homeland Security Act at that point, though it wouldn't surprize me.

Any thoughts on this sad day in American history?

2. wonderland

wonderland Member

I was also disturbed by the notification ruling he made as a judge. I feel Bush nominated Meirs for show. She was an unusual choice. Now he can say he picked a woman and she withdraw.
    I am very worried about my cival rights in the future.

3. GoneA

Gold Member

....things only get worse......they only get worse.

4. Dr. Dilznick

Gold Member

Didn't last time Alito went before the Senate for confirmations he passed overwhelmingly? Now he's waaay unacceptable. Funny how shit changes so fast in Washington. It was all good just a week ago.

True social conservatives, or at least ones that respect the constitution aren't so concerned with abortions (or gays) as they are with the courts not restricting themselves to their precise roles. As much as people want to brand Scalito as trying to strong-arm his views or predilections on society, his view on abortion as I understand it is that he doesn't think it should be a federal issue, thus he doesn't even think it should be in his hands to decide ultimately. It should be in the hands of the people, in their respective states to decide if it's acceptable to them or not. Same with most other issues that should be out of their purview. Let the people vote on it in their states. That's why a lot of conservatives had a problem with H. Miers when some of her previous speeches came out saying that it's the job of the judges to overwrite legislators when they "fail" to be ahead of the curve socially (in her or the judges' opinion, which is an individual perception with no basis in law but which effects the populace at large despite them not being popularly elected). But that isn't what judges are for, if you want to legislate, run for office, don't become a judge and skirt the system.

5. MisterMark

Gold Member

Albums:
    Honestly, I'm fine with most of what I've read about him. (One major exception: His vote to require women to notify their husbands before having an abortion is way out of line, in my opinion.) Everything else seems to suggest that he thinks government should stay out of people's lives.

The religious conservatives who are all excited about him may be disappointed. He strongly believes in freedom of speech, and if he is consistent, he will be in strong favor of freedom of speech on the internet and in movies (i.e. sexually-explicit movies). We'll see. :patriot:

6. GoneA

Gold Member

ditto.

7. Dr. Dilznick

Gold Member

i.e. she has the power to decide for the father what to do with the child that is half his.

8. GottaBigOne

Gold Member

Albums:
    yes, the child is half his, but he does not have the right to demand that she carry that baby to term. It would be the same as a rapist laying claim to the en utero child of his victim. Yes, I know not all abortions involve rape cases, but the point is the same. Abortion is not killing the baby, it is simply the refusal to incubate it.

9. Dr. Dilznick

Gold Member

We disagree then.

10. Freddie53

Gold Member

No doubt

11. GottaBigOne

Gold Member

Albums:
    Yes, the disagreement seems to be that I'm right and you're wrong.

12. curiouscat9

curiouscat9 New Member

It isn't about the actual act of abortion. It is about civil liberties. Which, I might add, has eroded quicker under this Bush administration than any other presidency. I despise that the voices (and people) of the far right and the far left are trying to take control of our country. It is time for moderate (and I believe the majority) America to speak up and get involved. It is time to take back this country from the extremists and the elite, before it is taken from us. I think the time is ripe for a new party to take the lead.

As a result of all the covert and not so covert action to undermine the constitution, I decided to learn more about running for office and becoming more actively involved and how to influence the law makers. Though I'm not ready yet, I know I could do a better job than many that are currently in office. I might not make it to the White House, but I can sure as hell make an impact locally and perhaps even on a national level.

In this, I agree with Dr. Dilznick, "But that isn't what judges are for, if you want to legislate, run for office, don't become a judge and skirt the system."

For the record, would I have an abortion - No. Do I want the right to choose - Yes.

13. Dr. Dilznick

Gold Member

Things can only be absolutely one hundred percent right or wrong when processed through a particular system of thought, or through a particular individual's mind. Like I said, we disagree.

14. MisterMark

Gold Member

Albums:
    Regarding the "permission to have an abortion" issue, I'm hoping that Alito only believes that a woman should tell her husband that she's having an abortion. I think it's possible that opponents to Alito are interpreting this as having to get permission to have an abortion. It's not the same thing.

15. GottaBigOne

Gold Member

Albums:
    Things can only be absolutely one hundred percent right or wrong when processed through a particular system of thought, or through a particular individual's mind. Like I said, we disagree.
    [post=357341]Quoted post[/post]​
    [/b][/quote]
    There is a right and wrong independant of anyone's thoughts. Individuals cannot decide for themsleves what is true and false, but merely discover the truth. No one creates truth.

Also, I've been rethinking the issue and at first it was lost on me that Alito's decision was in regards to married couples, which is different then if the father of the child is not legally the woman's husband. Although it is a small difference it should taken into account. When a man and woman decide to get married they decide to share their entire lives with each other, they agree to make mutual decisions, child rearing being one of those decisions. I'm not sure but was the Alito's opinion that the woman had to get her husband's permission or simply that she had to let him know beforehand what she intended to do. Now, I'm all about government not getting involved in our private lives, which is why I think it is even overreaching by getting so involved in marriage in the first place, but alas a marriage is a legal contract in essence, and I do agree that if a married woman wants to have an abortion she should tell her husband and discuss it with him, but it should ultimately be her decision, and the government should have no say how honest and open a marriage is.

Sorry mark, i replied to DR.'s post before reading yours, great minds think alike. Way to stay objective!

16. Dr. Dilznick

Gold Member

There is a right and wrong independant of anyone's thoughts.
    [/b][/quote]
    Prove it.

17. GottaBigOne

Gold Member

Albums:
    There is a right and wrong independant of anyone's thoughts.
    [/b][/quote]
    Prove it.
    [post=357406]Quoted post[/post]​
    [/b][/quote]
    Things exist. To deny this presupposes one's existence and is self defeating. Things can not cease to be, they merely change form.

Life exists. To deny this results in the same as above. Life can cease to be, to a living entity there are two alternatives, life or death. The concept of values then can only be discussed in relation to living entities. They are the only things in which their existence is dependant on certain conditions. Those conditions which are conducive to its life are good, those which are not are bad. It is right then to seek the good, and wrong to seek the bad. To seek the bad is to seek one's own destruction.

18. panthera

panthera New Member

I can understand Mr Alito feeling that man and wife should talk to each other, but I can also imagine one or two situations under which a woman would not wish to discuss terminating a pregnancy with her husband. He might be physically abusive for example. It also bothers me that the far right seem to be pleased about this man.
    Americans have traded away so many of their civil liberties over the last few years. And for what?
    Sad, truly sad. The country which taught so much of the world the meaning of freedom and personal liberty is degenerating into a fascist theocracy. Or so it would seem...

19. Shelby

Gold Member

Why should wives get to independently decide whether or not to abort?

Suppose she chooses (against her husbands wishes) to carry to term. Does he get to choose whether or not he wants to financially support the child for 18 to 21 years?

What if she deceived him into believing she was on the pill and intentionally got knocked up to insure her ability to keep him on the hook?

Nah, that could NEVER happen.

20. GottaBigOne

Gold Member

Albums:
    Yes Shelby, the financial responsibilities of the father should be a choice, women don't have a monopoly on autonomy.

Draft saved Draft deleted