New to biking

Discussion in 'Underwear, Clothing, and Appearance Issues' started by bthegreat, May 27, 2011.

1. bthegreat

bthegreat Member

Albums:
    I got myself a new road bike to ride to work in the mornings. It's a 9 mile ride and I get some booty sweat and I want to know how to not get that or should I just wear biking shorts until I get to work and change in the restrooms?

2. jockbear

jockbear Member

Wear the bike shorts then put on clean dry clothes when you get to work. If you can, slow down a bit the last mile to allow your body to cool down a little. If you are modest you can get baggy style bicycle shorts or simply put a pair of gym shorts over the top.
    P.S. You are NOT supposed to wear underwear under padded lycra bicycle shorts.

3. bthegreat

bthegreat Member

Albums:
    So no underwear under the shorts? I guess I'll just dress in the restroom. Does anyone else do this? Ride their bike to work and change once they get there?

4. jockbear

jockbear Member

If you wear underwear under padded bike shorts the seams can rub you raw..... OUCH. Also your drawers will be all sweaty and soggy which will be uncomfortable for the rest of the day. Change into dry undies after you get to work. Your crotch will thank you.

5. bthegreat

bthegreat Member

Albums:
    Thanks guys

6. sdbg

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Correct. As already mentioned, the seams will kill you. If you haven't bought bike shorts or bibs yet, check out Pearl Izumi. They have been the best comfort, fit, and durability for the money of the brands that I've tried. The padded crotch has been comfortable for 50 mile rides.

I've done it for 5 years and love it. The single user mens room is perfect for changing. I use a backback to bring my lunch and work clothes. If you fold your clothes carefully, they'll look good when you get to work. Ride to work at a moderate pace so you won't get sweaty. You can work it on your way home. It really makes a difference with your cardio fitness and endurance.

Your coworkers will be cheer you for being green.

BE SURE TO LOCK YOUR BIKE WITH A GOOD LOCK!

7. yhtang

Gold Member

Albums:
    I used to do exactly that for a few years. Folded carefully, my suit jacket and trousers did not crease.

8. bthegreat

bthegreat Member

Albums:
    Would running track shorts work fine until I get some bike shorts?
    When you changed you just took the biking shorts off and put on work clothes?

Draft saved Draft deleted