New to the gym

k94

Experimental Member
Media
It's been quite some time since I was last in the gym and I have just signed up. To be honest though I don't really know what I should be doing. Was wondering if anyone had any links to good workout plans for beginners, trying to lose some weight and tone up? much appreciated!

Gj816

Mythical Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
My all time favorite exercise for beginner or advanced is the burpees. Check out men'shealth.com should be able to find a ton of beginner workouts. Good luck.

O, don't get discouraged when you don't see results in two or three weeks. It takes a little time for that. Also you'll need to watch your diet if you're wanting to lose weight too.

sangheili90

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Not really that complicated. Besides eating a balanced diet you don't really need to follow any fancy workout routines. Do some steady state cardio a few days per week, builds ebdurance and is good for overall health. Do some lifting with compound movements like dips, chin ups, squats, overhead presses, etc.

bkmuscledad

Superior Member
Media
It's been quite some time since I was last in the gym and I have just signed up. To be honest though I don't really know what I should be doing. Was wondering if anyone had any links to good workout plans for beginners, trying to lose some weight and tone up? much appreciated!
I found it hard and overwhelming to sift through all the varying techniques and voluminous information out there. I consulted different sites and online trainers, and experimented for a while with different things, until I found things that worked for me. And when I say worked for me, that means worked effectively, showed progress, and fit in my schedule and budget. I had a little bit of a head start because I worked out when I was younger, but fell off the wagon for a long time due to family and work obligations. Staying in shape moved not to the back burner, but was put in winter storage (for a very long winter).
When I saw a picture of myself one day about a year and a half ago, I was stunned. I hadn't realized how out of shape I had gotten, and how much weight I had put on. I went out and bought inexpensive dumb bells and started doing some basic lifts at home, just to get the juices flowing. And by juices, I mean mental juices, because working out, or any fitness regimen, is mostly mental/attitude adjustment. You have to decide just how important fitness is to you. It's not like painting a room, and then you're done. It takes commitment and maintenance. Once I maxxed out on those dumb bells, I bought heavier ones, and also a used workout bench on craigslist. Then after a while, I wanted to do more compound movements, which are crucial for a whole body transformation, and I joined a local gym with no commitment contract. There, I met people who are very serious and knowledgeable about training, and who are very willing to share their thoughts and experiences. I still need to take everything I hear and read, and analyze it for myself. I'm a big believer in listening to your body, and what works for one person, may not work as well for someone else, so not all the advice will be helpful. Some advise may even be dangerous for you, so know where your advice is coming from. You will also notice that as you progress, your goals will likely change.
A specific thing that has worked for me: Lasts sets to failure and drop sets on the final exercises of each body part (except for squats and dead lifts). Take rest days so muscles can recover (I work out 3 days in a row, then a day off, so each body part gets hit almost twice a week, giving each body part a couple of days rest between workouts). I do more core on the rest days.
Keep a journal of your workouts so you can see your progress. I try to add weight or reps from the previous time. Most days I can, but there are some days I can't. Don't be discouraged on the can't days; a lot of things affect our abilities each day (nutrition, sleep, stress). Take before pictures, and after some time, take similar pictures. I find that seeing yourself every day doesn't give you the impact of how much your body is actually transforming. Taking pictures months apart will give you a better appreciation that your hard work is paying off.
And has been said before, you can't out-train a bad diet. So eat smart. You don't have to go nuts, but eat more good quality proteins and carbs and healthy fats. If you're partial to starches and sweets like I am, or alcohol like some people, you should limit those things. I hope this is helpful for you. Keep us posted and let us know how you're doing.

bkmuscledad

Superior Member
Media
I found it hard and overwhelming to sift through all the varying techniques and voluminous information out there. I consulted different sites and online trainers, and experimented for a while with different things, until I found things that worked for me. And when I say worked for me, that means worked effectively, showed progress, and fit in my schedule and budget. I had a little bit of a head start because I worked out when I was younger, but fell off the wagon for a long time due to family and work obligations. Staying in shape moved not to the back burner, but was put in winter storage (for a very long winter).
When I saw a picture of myself one day about a year and a half ago, I was stunned. I hadn't realized how out of shape I had gotten, and how much weight I had put on. I went out and bought inexpensive dumb bells and started doing some basic lifts at home, just to get the juices flowing. And by juices, I mean mental juices, because working out, or any fitness regimen, is mostly mental/attitude adjustment. You have to decide just how important fitness is to you. It's not like painting a room, and then you're done. It takes commitment and maintenance. Once I maxxed out on those dumb bells, I bought heavier ones, and also a used workout bench on craigslist. Then after a while, I wanted to do more compound movements, which are crucial for a whole body transformation, and I joined a local gym with no commitment contract. There, I met people who are very serious and knowledgeable about training, and who are very willing to share their thoughts and experiences. I still need to take everything I hear and read, and analyze it for myself. I'm a big believer in listening to your body, and what works for one person, may not work as well for someone else, so not all the advice will be helpful. Some advise may even be dangerous for you, so know where your advice is coming from. You will also notice that as you progress, your goals will likely change.
A specific thing that has worked for me: Lasts sets to failure and drop sets on the final exercises of each body part (except for squats and dead lifts). Take rest days so muscles can recover (I work out 3 days in a row, then a day off, so each body part gets hit almost twice a week, giving each body part a couple of days rest between workouts). I do more core on the rest days.
Keep a journal of your workouts so you can see your progress. I try to add weight or reps from the previous time. Most days I can, but there are some days I can't. Don't be discouraged on the can't days; a lot of things affect our abilities each day (nutrition, sleep, stress). Take before pictures, and after some time, take similar pictures. I find that seeing yourself every day doesn't give you the impact of how much your body is actually transforming. Taking pictures months apart will give you a better appreciation that your hard work is paying off.
And has been said before, you can't out-train a bad diet. So eat smart. You don't have to go nuts, but eat more good quality proteins and carbs and healthy fats. If you're partial to starches and sweets like I am, or alcohol like some people, you should limit those things. I hope this is helpful for you. Keep us posted and let us know how you're doing.
Another thing, @k94 , build to weights that are heavy for you, but not so heavy that you have to cheat. Use strict form all the time and don't neglect the negative movements. Cheating doesn't help build muscle, and may result in an injury that can put you back weeks or months. A buddy I know hurt his back doing simple biceps curls, and couldn't do compound lifts for over two months.

nicnic

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
In a similar position here. Just getting back into going to the gym, but I've never really known what I'm doing. Really slim guy here, trying to build a little muscle.

Reactions: George1848

twoton

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I’ll add: you have to push yourself. A top reason people quit exercise is because they don’t see results. The top reason they don’t see results is because they don’t lift weights that are heavy enough.

Reactions: DSF140