New Year's Traditions

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I do many things to celebrate the New Year some are family traditions and others are things that I learned from friends.

The first thing I do to get ready for the New Year's Eve is to clean because...

... during the days leading up to New Year’s Eve, osoji (“cleaning”) is part of the ritual—a Japanese equivalent of “spring cleaning.” This is observed near the end of the year because the Japanese believe this is a good time to “purify” one’s environment—allowing for a fresh start for the coming twelve months. Osoji has its origins in the religious significance of purification. In Japan, a great deal of time is often spent cleaning up houses, shops and offices.

I'll post some of the other things I do later... Do you have any special traditions or superstitions that you do for the New Year?

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Here are some of the other traditions...

We go to a New Year's Ever party and the theme is to bid farewell to the problems and concerns of the past year and prepare for a new beginning.

We eat 12 grapes at midnight to insure 12 happy months.

My other half grew up eating black eyed peas with a silver coin in it for each person eating on 31, December and placing the coin on the windowsill and bringing it in to the house on 1 January for prosperity.

A few other things that I have gleaned from others are...

Wear red underwear on New Year's Eve so that you have love and satisfying sex all year long (It's one of the few days of the year I actually wear an under garment)

My mother was convinced that the first visitor after midnight needs to be a dark haired man bringing bread for the family (I always make my other half do this on the way home from our party) and he should knock and be let in; not use a key.

I used to run around the block after midnight with a suitcase to insure travel and adventure... (I stopped doing that because I have enough travel and adventure without it)

Nothing gets thrown away or swept out of the house on 1 January. No money should be spent on New Year's Day.

I'm not a superstitious person by nature but these are things that I've been doing and would not dream of not doing them... I never make resolutions I just promise myself to do the best I can and by years end do something I've never done before.

helgaleena

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Try to have clean house, yes. Also take sauna New Year's eve, if available.

My Slovak relatives ate special soup of dried mushrooms, alphabet noodles, sauerkraut juice and kielbasa. My Finnish relatives ate special rice porridge with a few whole almonds in it. To get an almond in your serving was lucky.

EllieP

Worshipped Member
Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
We pretty much have the same Southern customs, black-eye peas for luck and cabbage for wealth. Of course, it's hell to get Cap to eat cabbage, so I have to be creative. I usually make cabbage rolls and put the black-eye peas in the stuffing.

On a side note, this will be the first time in about seven years where we actually spend New Year's Eve together! He's always playing somewhere, but his last tour was right before Christmas, and he's not going back on the road for many months! I'm going to show him a Happy New Years so that maybe he'll think twice before going back!!!

LaFemme

Mythical Member
Staff
Verified
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I have a tradition of falling asleep around 11pm and waking up around 2:30 to pee. Then I say, "Oh, it's the new year." and go back to sleep

Ditto. How about this year I wave in your general direction?

D

deleted3782

My only tradition is to leave town for the New Year.

Pandora77

Cherished Member
Gold
Account Deletion Pending
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
My only tradition would be to call Mom and Dad right after midnight to wish them a happy new Year. Oh, and shooting fireworks of course (to make evil spirits go away).
In Germany we traditionally eat Raclette or Fondue on New Years Eve.
I also clean the whole house before New Years, but not out of tradition, I do it before every bigger Holiday. And then I clean the whole place twice a week anyways.

Zeuhl34

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Not having fun. (Usually comprising playing board games with my family while my mom struggles to stay awake.)

(I fucking hate New Year's)

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight

D_Olga Steponyatova

Just Browsing
Media
I usually just have a nice dinner and relax for the evening by watching some cheesetacular flick; pretend I am going to stick to some new resolution that's overly ambitious, and then hit the hay moments after midnight. My b-day is the second of January so I've never been much of a party person on new years. :party2:

rbkwp

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
tbh
better be a bit honest ...

used to have Scotch & Almonds (Choc) for 5 years odd on awakening early am, pretending to be decadent.
then gave that up, for a little normality?

fav at the moment is a roast PORK luncheon.. China or Scandanavia pork, no matter as long as its cheap.. ha tite ass me..
Top it off by getting pissed prior to the meal..and will try hard to get BANNED on the day...lpsg..

and THEY reckon Alcohol is no excuse..? mmmmm hah

as well i will have in mind the trials and tribs, MANY countries will be going thru in 2012.

D_Fiona_Farvel

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I eat black eyed peas on New Year's Day. Southerners believe black eyed peas bring good luck.
We pretty much have the same Southern customs, black-eye peas for luck and cabbage for wealth. Of course, it's hell to get Cap to eat cabbage, so I have to be creative. I usually make cabbage rolls and put the black-eye peas in the stuffing.

On a side note, this will be the first time in about seven years where we actually spend New Year's Eve together! He's always playing somewhere, but his last tour was right before Christmas, and he's not going back on the road for many months! I'm going to show him a Happy New Years so that maybe he'll think twice before going back!!!

Ditto. My family has mix of traditions from the South and Indies.

Southern: Black eyed peas for good luck and collard greens for money/wealth.

Indies: Clean everything (house, self, clothing, linens, etc.). Only engage in activities/habits one wants to continue or come to fruition in the new year.

My own: A walk around the neighborhood, tell everyone in my life HNY and I love/cherish them, also enjoying reviewing goals and accomplishments.

Last edited: