New York City - What to do?

D_Miranda_Wrights

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
So, I'll be in NYC (E 50th & Lexington area) from Friday evening through Tuesday. My dad had some great suggestions but hasn't been there for a few decades. Anyone have any recommendations that might fly under the radar?

Just some parameters:

1. I'm a poor college student, so nothing too spendy.
2. I'm not big on touristy stuff. I'll be on my own, so I want to take an opportunity to try stuff off the beaten path.
3. I'm open to new experience and would love something I can't do in Seattle.
4. I'm a big city guy...I love vibrancy, density and stimulation.
5. I love food.

With that said, I would really appreciate the advice of you fine folks :D Thanks!

D_Fiona_Farvel

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
One good thing, the weather is unseasonably warm, has been all year, so there aren't many things you won't be able to do outdoors (though you will need a coat or winter fleece outerwear - last week had some of the coldest temps of the year and I was still like, damn, this is lovely. :biggrin:).

What's your price range for food and any cuisine or item you def. want to try? Maybe some of the amazing food trucks around the city? Also any specific interests for new experiences?

Just as an opener, my fave pizza place: L'asso on Mott L'asso - Little Italy - New York, NY

Last edited:

D_Miranda_Wrights

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
One good thing, the weather is unseasonably warm, has been all year, so there aren't many things you won't be able to do outdoors (though you will need a coat or winter fleece outerwear).

I know! I've been checking Weather.com in disbelief all month...57 degrees on Thursday. :biggrin1:

What's your price range for food and any cuisine or item you def. want to try? Maybe some of the amazing food trucks around the city? Also any specific interests for new experiences?

I'm pretty open to all sorts of things (again, stuff that's harder to find in less cosmopolitan areas is cool...I've always wanted to try Afghani or Spanish food.) Food trucks are awesome.

I would love to go to a rock concert, or any other music or comedy show...any place I can meet people...I'd even do a museum if it came recommended highly enough ;) I'm leaving myself to the whim of the people here. Spontaneity is half the fun!

The pizza place looks great. I'll make sure to hit it :)

D_Fiona_Farvel

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
For Rock I usually go to big venues, like MSG or smaller ones like Terminal 5, can't say either would be conducive to singling and mingling. If you're open to any kind of music, I suggest Nublu (Nublu) - such a good, tho sweaty, vibe to the place.

Sadly, my fave food truck is chocolafied: Wafels & Dinges - just wait for others to chime in with more highbrow fare. :08:

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
There are a lot of fun things to do that don't cost a great deal of money. Go on line and look at Events, activities and things to do in New York City - Time Out New York and pick up a copy when you get there. But keep in mind some of the actual touristy things can be fun too. If you would like I will meet you for a cup of coffee or something in the afternoon one day!
Have fun!

DavidXL

Admired Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay

D_Jacqueline_Boozann

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I used to live in New York and teach in New York....it's a great city, great people, and plenty of activities, free, of course.

Enjoy yourself, be safe, and don't act like a tourist -- just blend in with the rest.

hunkydory

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
If you want to try things that you can't do in seattle, come down to the East Village around St. Marks and east, lots of ethnic food - especially 6th street , go down Broadway (area below 8th street) lots of shops - MOMA (Museum of Modern Art) is always worth the trip - and at night time Time Square - even though it is touristy is very cool - as is the memorial around ground zero. Down load a NYC subway map app for free too. Have fun! been here 30 years, it's a great city.

monel

Sexy Member
Media
Stand on the street outside the Empire State Building and stare straight up while saying out loud, "Gosh that's so big!"

rbkwp

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Talk to a NY Cabbie ..always wanted to, from the ole movies days ha
just to hear that accent, haha raaawwrrrrrr, like an Aussie twang.....................

hud01

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
get a subway map. You can move so much faster. The metropolitan museum of art is incredible. Go down to city hall and look at the brooklyn bridge, then you can head down to ground zero and then down to battery park where you can see the statue of liberty...

Edit: The empire state building at night is awesome and the view at night cannot be beat

for music go to the washington square park and walk south, there are lots of clubs

Last edited:

Richard Lottery

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Cammer
Media
Verification
View
Hmmm Easiest way to not do touristy stuff stay out of touristy neighborhoods lol (Downtown - Water St./Wall St....Midtown on the east side although your staying there...Chinatown below Houston st. too) food prices change by neighborhood here pretty much...most stuff in the Lower East Side or Williamsburg (in Brooklyn) pretty reasonable as far prices go here for most things....check the free newspaper AM New York (you can get them at the entrance of almost any train station) for live music events there's something almost every night might as well get the Village Voice while your at it....get out as early as you can go see as much as you can an enjoy

Edit: Your here from Friday till Tues am only does mon-fri(weekend edition)

Last edited:

sizequeenNY

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Someone already posted MOMA, seeing your location it was the first thing I thought of and it is free on Fridays. If you have a student id then a lot of the museums will give you a discount. I also suggest going to MoMA PS1 in Long Island City, Five Points a famous graffiti spot is right near it and it will be torn down shortly so those are two cool things to see next to each other. The Met and Museum of Natural History are also great. You should check out the Highline, a park over the Meat Packing district, with great views and an interesting concept. There are a lot of galleries in SoHo that let you browse, try walking the blocks from Houston south to Broome, between Greene and Lafayette. You haven't mentioned what music you like or would be interested in, I can offer a lot of suggestions based on what you like and there are a lot of good free cheap things. There are a lot of Spanish food options so it depends on what you are looking for if you want guidance

Some cheap eats I like-

Patisserie Claude for chocolate croissants and quiche($2-4 per item) is really just awesome 187 W 4th St
Biryani Cart for their chicken kati rolls(46th and 6th)
Dessert Truck for their hot chocolate(check twitter and they have a location)
Prosperity Dumpling for dumplings and their off the menu duck scallion pancake about $5 for a whole meal(Eldridge St)
Mexican truck(forgot the name) for chicken or cheese with pepper tamales $2 each(4th Ave at Astor Pl weekdays)
Aroma for really good Israeli coffee and burekas sandwich- pastry with potato, egg, hummus, pickle $6(Houston and Greene)
check Real Cheap Eats NYC - 194 Cheap Eats for $10 or Less in New York for good ideas too

Khyber Pass is a lot of fun and close to Mc Sorleys, the second oldest bar in NY. You should also check shops like Trash and Vaudeville while you are on St Marks

Your profile says you are Native American and if you are into your culture, the National Museum of the Native American is in the financial district National Museum of the American Indian

The cheaper and better comedy clubs are West Village, sometimes no cover if you go early but there is usually a drink minimum

A few things I recommend-

- get a one week unlimited Metro Card
- take the bus instead of the subway if you are heading downtown so you can get off if you see something that interests you
- avoid comedy club scams around Times Sq
- map out what you want to do on a subway map before you get here
- to Brooklyn at least once and Queens for Spanish food