New York/New Jersey Style Pizza. What's the secret?

Osiris

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
So I am watching TV and there is a pizza place in Phoenix run by a New Jersey native who has New Jersey tap water shipped to him as the secret to his perfect pizza dough. In my hometown of Kansas City, there is a place called D'Bronx and their pizza's secret is Bronx tap water shipped into them.

Now being a self professed pizza expert, there is no greater pizza than a big foldable slice of New York pizza. It's heaven in your hand. And D'Bronx is true New York pizza, they even have Lou from New York with accent and all.

Some people will say it's Mozzerella Di Buffala, pepperoni from the right place, but I still maintain it is the soft, New York/Jersey style crust that makes it. What do you think?

And I demand response from NJQT, Skull Mason, and Nudeyorker on this one. You three are my New York/New Jersey experts here. :wink:

Skull Mason

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Its the dough, there is no doubt about it. There is something in the water up here, maybe its the chlorine or the radioactive waste, but either way it makes a damn fine pizza slice.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
It's the water. I have been in major pizza withdrawl ever since moving here last June. I have given serious thought to flying into Newark Liberty just so I can get a pizza fix and then flying back. :redface: The water also affects the bread and bagels, none of which are any good outside of the tri-state area either. :frown1:

So I am watching TV and there is a pizza place in Phoenix run by a New Jersey native who has New Jersey tap water shipped to him as the secret to his perfect pizza dough. In my hometown of Kansas City, there is a place called D'Bronx and their pizza's secret is Bronx tap water shipped into them.

Now being a self professed pizza expert, there is no greater pizza than a big foldable slice of New York pizza. It's heaven in your hand. And D'Bronx is true New York pizza, they even have Lou from New York with accent and all.

Some people will say it's Mozzerella Di Buffala, pepperoni from the right place, but I still maintain it is the soft, New York/Jersey style crust that makes it. What do you think?

And I demand response from NJQT, Skull Mason, and Nudeyorker on this one. You three are my New York/New Jersey experts here. :wink:

Osiris

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Aww Thats Sweet, Ur A Hotty Too

BUt I Honestly Dont Think NY Pizza Has ANYTHING On Authentic Italia Pizza

I make a wicked authentic Italian styke Marghereta with home grown Roma tomatoes, home grown basil, and fresh Mozzerella and olive oil.

Let me know when you are in the neighborhood. :wink:

lwd

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
It's the water. I have been in major pizza withdrawl ever since moving here last June. I have given serious thought to flying into Newark Liberty just so I can get a pizza fix and then flying back. :redface: The water also affects the bread and bagels, none of which are any good outside of the tri-state area either. :frown1:

Why don't we put a pile of dough in the East River, come back in an hour and see what happens...I never folded pizza till I lived in the Northeast

JustAsking

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

I grew up in Southeastern Connecticut, along the coast where New York style Pizza was made by all the Greek pizza joints. Since moving, I have really missed the stuff. There is nothing like that flat flour covered bottom of the dough and the crispy olive oil covered rim, and the dough itself with the big bubbles in it. You rip it apart and it stretches and tears unevenly even though it is less than 1/4 inch thick in places.

Then there is the cheese that has been cooked just long enough to have some brown areas and also some big bubbles as well. Yes indeed, there is nothing like a really good NY style pizza. I think the official designation for the style is Manhattan-Neopolitan.

I have been eyeing this website while considering an attempt to duplicate the style out here in the Ohio hinterland. The people at this site seem obsessed enough to pay attention to in regard to doing this yourself.

For those of you who have never experienced a NY style pizza, Sbarro's pizza is a cheap approximation that if viewed from a distance of 50 feet almost looks right.

Time for a brief SNL moment:

"Hey, you from Joisey, I'm from Joisey!"
"Yes, I am"
"Oh yeah, what exit?"

tripod

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
That deep-dish crap they serve in Chicago isn't even pizza it's what I call pizza casserole. :yuck:

So I suppose a triple decker, stuffed pan pizza is out of the question? Kids love deep dish pizza... it's all of the adults that want that thin crust, I used to love pan pizza, but go for the thin style crust now.

My first job at age 13 (lied about my age) was as a pizzaman at Rosati's in Chicago.

Chicago pizza isn't much compared to the pedigree of the New York style, although, outside of the tri-state area, Chicago is the next best choice.

I now live in North Carolina and the pizza in this state has come a long way in the last twenty years, but will never be equal to the pizza of the North. It is all about the food distributors... the recipe for the sauce, the ovens and what temperature they are cooked at. The crust is super important also, the recipe and ingredients used, influences the taste and texture as much as the way in which it is made.

New York style pizza relies on all of these things to be the best, but it is mainly the high standard which New Yorkers have for the quality of the ingredients which make their pizza special.

I hardly believe that it is the foul H2O found in the municipal water systems of the tri-state area which makes the crust so good, but it might be...

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Bleh. Chicago-style pizza >> *.*
Meh. If I wanted to drink a cup of marinara sauce, I'd just pour a cup of marinara sauce and drink it. Chicago style pizza is nasty.

The water also affects the bread and bagels, none of which are any good outside of the tri-state area either. :frown1:
Whatever... I make better breads, including bagels, than you'll find anywhere else in this country!:biggrin1:

Mr. Snakey

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I was born in Jersey. I lived in Pheonix. I noticed right away the good pizza in Arizona. It's just a way of doing things. Thats all. The Jersey way.

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I hardly believe that it is the foul H2O found in the municipal water systems of the tri-state area which makes the crust so good, but it might be...

The water in the NY/NJ/CT tri-state area is not foul.

That being said, I do not think it is the water. I think it is the knowledge of how to make good pizza. How to let the dough rise and how to toss it and the use of good ingredients. Also how to cook it at the tight temperature for the right time.

Corporate pizza SUCKS.

The only good pizza ever made by a large company was at the Showboat and Borgata Buffets.