New Zealand Quake

mitchymo

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Christchurch hit by 7.1

State of emergency declared due to extensive structural damage in a quake which locals said 'went on forever'.

Miraculously, zero fatalaties. Very fortunate. No stranger to quakes in New Zealand, but rarely so destructive as this one.

Im in Christchurch. It was insanity! Heaps of buildings in rubble.

Yeah the quake was similar to the Haiti earthquake. Ours was 7.1; Haiti's 7.0. Both with epicentres 40km from a major city, epicentre was 10km underground; Haiti's 13km. Yet 230,000 died in Haiti compared to 0 in Christchurch (so far). Goes to show how important it is earthquake proof buildings.

nzsomebody

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
^ Been hearing there has been a fair few aftershocks.
A few? We've had over 600 since the first one over 2 weeks ago :( You kinda get used to them, but at the same time, you don't. I'll never forget the brief moment of fear as I was running for the door frame wondering how much of my house would be left by the time the shaking would stop or if the second story I sleep in would collapse. Then there was the sitting in pitch black while a series of aftershocks hit immediatly after the first and wondering what was going to happen next (it was my first earthquake). Fortunately, my house survived with no damage at all, as did the majority of my street.

Things are calming down now though, it seems. We're having days where we may only have 2 or 3 noticeable aftershocks, compared to the first week or so when we had 2 or 3 an hour :|

It makes me happy that I live where I do. As mentioned, Christchurch's earthquake was pretty simillar to Haiti's, yet after 3 or 4 days the citys services were all back up and running again (they were technically up and running for most by the end of the first day but they couldn't be sure the water was safe) - Haiti on the other hand still hasn't really finished the cleanup phase.