newbie to working out

luvinlife83

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Ok, so I am not sure if this belongs in this forum or not, but it seemed like the most logical place.
I am a big guy, and I need to start doing something about my weight soon. I haven't been in a gym since high school and I don't remember how to work any of the equipment or anything. Also, I work like 12-15 hour days and most gyms are not open when I leave work, so what are some good workouts to do at home with some weights and resistance bands, and any good dieting info for people with a busy work schedule. Any words of encouragement would be helpful too. thanks.

bm646

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
you coule try the 10 min exercise routing, its simple and when you have 10 min you can get a work out the key is to just do it and keep moving - a co-worker of mine deals with this. if you want to send me a private mail with an e-mail address I'll pass it on

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I posted some information in another thread that might be helpful;http://www.lpsg.org/236403-weight.html
There are many things you can do starting with changing your diet and some simple work out routines at home with some free weights. But I would recommend that you find a 24 hour gym or one with extended hours that fit your work schedule.

commando1463

Legendary Member
Media
Orlando i Florida (Florida, United States)
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I agree completely with NY. I used to have the same feeling about going to a gym that there wasnt one with convenient hours or location or I worked too much etc. All valid excuses but I discovered, for me, it was just that: excuses. Once going to the gym, whether before work in the mornings, on lunch break, or after work or even late evenings becomes part of your daily routine, you will miss it when you don't go. It takes a while to build a habit but once you do, the results start to pay off. I still have a ways to go but I am feeling and looking much better than when I started. Watching your diet also helps and will also help you feel better when you cut the crappy stuff from your daily routine. Best of luck to you.

twoton

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I'm a strong supporter of the Crossfit.com method of exercise. I don't always agree with or follow with their programming, but I think it's an amazing way to lose weight and get in shape. No registration required, and it's all free.
I've been doing it myself for three years.

A lot of crossfit exercises can be done at home. At its core it's intended to be done with equipment at hand, which is why it's popular with a lot of guys in places like Afghanistan.

An exercise site that is also free, requires no registration, requires no equipment, is bodyrock.tv. Plus you'll give your love muscle a workout, too.:wink:
If you get past bodyrock's sex appeal, you'll see that it's a very well done, effective workout site.

As for diet, the only scientifically proven method is to cut calories. Cut carbs, cut fat, cut whatever, but the bottom line is you have to eat fewer calories.

erratic

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
You want to lose weight? Run, walk, or bike whenever you can. Try to replace as much driving as you can with them. Park farther from the office. Walk the rest of the distance. When you take breaks at work, get out. Always take the stairs. Put weights under you couch at home. When you're sitting around and watching TV, what excuse do you have to not pick them up?

If you're looking to lose weight and improve your heart health you want cardio, cardio, cardio. Chances are, since you're a big guy, there's already a lot of muscle under there in order to carry around your excess weight. So, resistance training (chest presses, preacher curls, etc.) is probably not what you need.

Join a running club, a rowing club, or whatever floats your boat. They tend to meet early in the morning because lots of people have crazy schedules like yours. Also, check out the hours for local pools. They tend to have free swims super early AM and super late PM because those are the times when no one wants to come in for swimming lessons. As we all know, there's little more motivating when it comes to improving our fitness than looking at ourselves in a swim suit.

Speaking of motivation, try to get active in a pair or a group. Commit to people, and commit to an activity - that gives you fewer excuses to sit around and accrete more mass. If you have the money, hire a trainer.

You don't need to go to a gym to lose weight; it can help, but it's not necessary. You need to get active.

As for dieting, you're an American so chances are you're ingesting way too much sugar. Dump it. Especially that high-fructose corn syrup garbage. When you're sedentary, sugar gets converted directly in to fat. Who knows...you may be eating way too many fats and whatnot as well, but I wouldn't advise completely overhauling your diet in one go. Like twoton said, you need to cut calories. Sugar is an easy way to do it.

Good luck, man!