Newly emboldened Obama makes strategic recess appointments

Discussion in 'Politics' started by gymfresh, Jan 4, 2012.

1. gymfresh

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    For those who have been saying the President needs to grow a pair, it looks like he's hit full puberty for the upcoming election season.

Defying G.O.P., Obama Names Head of Consumer Agency

"President Obama threw a gauntlet before Congressional Republicans on Wednesday, defying deep opposition to appoint Richard Cordray as director of a new consumer protection agency in a move that ignited a possible legal challenge and Constitutional fight."

“This is an extraordinary and entirely unprecedented power grab by President Obama that defies centuries of practice and the legal advice of his own Justice Department,” said House speaker John Boehner said in a prepared statement. “The precedent that would be set by this cavalier action would have a devastating effect on the checks and balances that are enshrined in our Constitution.”

Boo hoo.

2. Smaccoms

Gold Member

Albums:
    Whatever happened to Elizabeth Warren directing the agency. After all, she's the one who came up with the idea AND the one who knows what the fuck she's talking about. I shall have to look into this...Richard Cordray. I have never heard of him. Will be be able to get the job done? We better fuckin hope so. I suppose we should be glad it at least has a director now, right? This agency is a bold move, I must admit. It works against the entire fucking system. Why? Real regulation doesn't really exist in our current government...

3. Smaccoms

Gold Member

Albums:
    OMG, he appointed him without congressional approval? THAT'S HILARIOUS...and totally awesome!!! FUCK YOU G.O.P....FUCK YOU! Haha sorry, that was just too much!

4. Smaccoms

Gold Member

Albums:
    Do you think the Occupy movement inspired him for such boldness? Either way, this is pretty huge!

#4 Smaccoms, Jan 4, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2012
  5. SilverTrain

Gold Member

Albums:
    Cordlay is her handpicked choice.

The gall of Boehner to cry foul after his party refused to facilitate Warren's appointment (which was a no-brainier, but for the partisan middle finger to Obama). He can fuck right off, especially given that the Republicans have gone all out to obstruct just about all appointee nominations since Obama was elected.

6. sargon20

Gold Member

Here's hoping he keeps on!!

HONOLULU — President Obama has a New Year’s resolution that will shape his reelection strategy at the dawn of 2012: Keep beating up on an unpopular Congress.

Keep attacking unpopular Congress

7. Smaccoms

Gold Member

Albums:
    That's S EXCITING! I just watched part of a clip announcing the nomination and he DEFINITELY sounds qualified. In that case I'm really excited for the future of Obama AND Cordlay!

8. gymfresh

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Yeah, the truly frustrating thing is that the Republicans like Cordray. They acknowledge that he's intelligent, competent and an acceptable moderate. He has bipartisan appeal. But they've been holding up his appointment because they now claim they don't agree with the idea of having an agency at all. A legal, congressionally-created agency. Boehner may hop up and down and snort at President Obama's decision to move forward, but what his party is doing here is really questionable and without precedent. The Republicans decided to use this as a political football in an election year, and that may turn out to be a huge mistake.

9. SurferGirlCA

Gold Member

There may be a legal issue in that Congress isn't actually in recess, so this isn't a "recess appointment." I understand Obama's frustration and Boehner/McConnel/et al are, for sure tools, but I hope this stands up in court if it gets challenged.

10. chamisaguy

chamisaguy Active Member

Albums:
    This is NOT unprecedented, plenty of historical examples....and it is important! Here's why from ThinkProgress:

"WHY THEY ARE WRONG: As ThinkProgress’ Ian Millhiser noted this week, Obama is well within his legal right to appoint Cordray during Congress’ current recess — which has lasted since December 23 for constitutional purposes. Past presidents have invoked the recess power during much shorter Senate breaks. In 1903, in fact, President Theodore Roosevelt made more than 160 recess appointments during a recess that lasted less than one day, and President Harry Truman made similar appointments. Conservative hero Ronald Reagan, meanwhile, averaged three times as many recess appointments as Obama each year, making 243 total over his time in office. If anything represents an “unprecedented power grab,” it is the rate of the McConnell-led GOP’s obstructionism. As Millhiser notes, filibusters have increased two-fold since Obama took office, and a large number of votes never occur because of the GOP’s threats to filibuster.

WHY IT’S IMPORTANT: While the CFPB, the brainchild of current Massachusetts Senate candidate Elizabeth Warren (D), has been functioning since Dodd-Frank passed, having its first director will allow the agency to develop and grow into a true vehicle of protection for consumers against predatory Wall Street banks and other financial institutions. Without a director, the CFPB’s ability to prohibit unfair, deceptive or abusive financial practices was limited. Specifically, it was unable to use its authority to oversee non-bank financial institutions like certain mortgage lenders who target vulnerable consumers, check cashers, and payday lenders. Warren was the first choice of many progressives, but Cordray himself is eminently qualified to hold the position — so qualified, in fact, that one attorney who represents the financial industry said Cordray “frightens me the most.” Before he lost his bid for re-election in 2010, Cordray was at the forefront of the foreclosure fraud scandal and was the first state AG to sue a mortgage lender over fraudulent practices. As attorney general, he led efforts to rein in payday lenders. As for the CFPB, it will be tasked with overseeing lenders and financial institutions to prevent the types of predatory practices — like foreclosure fraud, discriminatory mortgage lending, and practices from payday, student loan, and credit card lenders — that cheated and defrauded the American people before and through the recession."

11. SurferGirlCA

Gold Member

Like I said, Congress is not in recess now - not officially. Those other appointments were made during actual called recesses. Millhiser's adding "for constitutional purposes" is his interpreting of what the GOP has been doing as, basically, the same thing as a recess. And that's fine! But it's the kind of thing that might have to be decided in court if the GOP wants to push it.

12. Smaccoms

Gold Member

Albums:
    if you read the article, it states how Obama has has made by far the fewest amount of candidate choices than all of the previous GOP Presidents. President Bush for example did the same thing for almost 3 times as many candidates as President Bush. The fact of the matter is this is a DIRECT response to the GOP refusing to cooperate and flipping the bird at Obama continuously over the course of Obama's candidacy. If the GOP had cooperated, Obama might not have gone through with this decision. He basically says this outright.

13. dude_007

Gold Member

Love that this was on caucus day, too.

The President is ON it.

#13 dude_007, Jan 5, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2012
  14. dandelion

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Of course, Obama might want them to take the matter to law. It would then highlight their attempt to block a perfectly reasonable candidate.

15. SurferGirlCA

Gold Member

I understand why he chose to do it - and I support that decision.

President Bush did not do the same thing. They are called "recess appointments" because they are made when Congress is in recess. Congress was officially in recess then. It is not officially in recess now. Even the White House acknowledges that. These are the kinds of things courts get involved in all the time. That was my point.

16. gymfresh

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Well, this is sort of the point. There is no universally embraced definition of when Congress is in recess. Historically the Christmas/New Years break has been considered a recess, but the Republicans decided to game the system this year by leaving a handful of lawmakers in Washington so they could claim Congress wasn't officially in recess. It was a dickish and questionable move, a cousin of the filibuster if you will, met by a direct challenge by the White House.

17. houtx48

Gold Member

Good for Obama ......................Baggers on the warpath.

18. matt19

matt19 Member

Albums:
    If this is challenged in the courts, Obama should lose. I infact think it was a cowardly move. Who exactly is Obama giving the finger to anyways? The Senate approves these appointees as I understand it, and the Dems control the Senate.

If the appointments stand, you can expect this to be the norm from here on out. Its all fine now when the Libs control the white house, but you will feel differently when the other team is in charge. This is a poor decision by obama.

19. Industrialsize

Staff Member Moderator Gold Member

Albums:
    Which argument would you like to be making in the court of PUBLIC OPINION?:

a: I made the recess appointments because the Republicans were filibustering my appointee to the Consumer Protection Bureau not because he was unqualifed, but because they didn't like the underlying law that was passed creating the Consumer Protection Bureau. I'm fighting for the average consumer.

or

B: The President can't make that appointment because of the arcane rules of the Senate of the United States.

I think "A" wins in the court of public opinion, and it's the public who votes.
    The President WANTS this fight.

20. tamati

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    It's pitifully clear that if O got up tomorrow, outlawed obortion, banned gay marrige, tossed the EPA, let any kook buy a gun, mandated school prayer and cut the corporate and wealthy's taxes in half -the GOP would fight him tooth and nail to stop his policies

Draft saved Draft deleted