Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
:smile: BETTER GET IT CUT!!
China not ready for circumcision to stop AIDS
Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:37 PM ET

By Ben Blanchard
BEIJING (Reuters) - China is still looking at evidence that male circumcision can play an important role in fighting the spread of AIDS and is not currently considering such a campaign, a senior health official said on Friday.
Late last year, researchers in the United States and Africa said that circumcising men cut their risk of being infected with the AIDS virus in half, and could prevent hundreds of thousands or even millions of new infections globally.
Circumcising men worked so well that the researchers stopped two large clinical trials in Kenya and Uganda to announce the results, although they cautioned that the procedure does not make men immune to the virus.
"We have already noticed these reports from Africa," Ru Xiaomei, deputy director general of China's National Population and Family Planning Commission, told Reuters in an interview.
"But the AIDS situation in China has not yet reached such a large scale (as in Africa)," she said.
China's family planning authorities, with decades of experience at promoting contraception, are increasingly being drafted into the country's fight against AIDS.
In China, which has an estimated 650,000 people living with HIV, the virus is gradually spreading from high-risk groups like intravenous drug users to the general population via sex.
"I'm not yet totally certain about the evidence for circumcision," Ru said. "We should exercise caution."
Circumcision rates are low in China compared to Asian countries like South Korea or Japan, where the foreskin is often removed at birth for hygiene reasons, or Muslims in countries like Indonesia who practice it for religious reasons.
China's Muslim minority, concentrated in the far western region of Xinjiang, likewise circumcise their male children, normally as they reach puberty.
That could perhaps mean a wider campaign in China would run into cultural problems and opposition from the non-Muslim majority, said Ru, a medical doctor by training,
"There's a problem with cost too," she added, in a country with the world's largest population - 1.3 billion people. "It would be a big deal. It's much more reasonable to get people to use condoms."
A U.S. National Institutes of Health study in Kisumu, Kenya, involving 2,784 men aged 18 to 24 showed a 53 percent reduction of HIV infections in circumcised men compared to uncircumcised men. A parallel study involving 4,996 men aged 15 to 49 in Rakai, Uganda, showed circumcised men were 48 percent less likely than uncircumcised men to become infected.
Experts say the reduced HIV risk may be because cells on the inside of the foreskin, the part of the penis cut off in circumcision, are particularly susceptible to HIV infection. HIV also may survive better in a warm, wet environment like that found beneath a foreskin.

If you bareback and don't practice good hygiene I can see the risk, but unsafe sex in itself is just asking for trouble.

D_Kay_Sarah_Sarah

Account Disabled
Media
aids and contracting it has nothing to do with being cut or uncut. It seems reserchers will do anything to make excuses for the fact that the problem lies in funding, education and religions not believing in condoms and contraception

D_Coyne Toss

Expert Member
Media
Many regimes tend to deny the real reasons of the spread of HIV, and also the real proportion of it in their countries: China is not the only one, many african countries do the same.

People, there are only three proved ways to cut the risk of HIV infection (if i recall well):

1) Condoms
2) Monogamy with a HIV negative partner (IMPORTANT: i do not mean to deny HIV+ persons the right to have a partner and all the love they deserve)
3) Chastity

It is up to you.

SuperActive

Just Browsing
Media
Interestingly enough, just the other day I read an article about an increase in HIV infection in circumcised males in developing countries in Africa. Because the operation is usually performed in less than ideal circumstances, instruments used are often unsterile.

Not sure where it fits into this particular debate, but thought I'd throw it in and see what happens!

mr1989

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
this is old news, they bang this out every 6 months. As most of the members here have said safe sex is the real answer.

IdahoTom

Just Browsing
Media
Looks like I am getting HIV then. These debates and arguments are so silly. I can't understand why the gov't would think that THIS is the way to STOP AIDS/HIV from spreading.

Governments like to do a lot of useless activity so that they appear to be doing something.

For example, here in the U.S., instead of addressing health care and Social Security, they give themselves raises and move daylight-savings time 3 weeks!

Uncutsouthernboy

Superior Member
Media
its a funny thing. If you google HIV rates you will find that some Muslim nations in Africa, such as Gambia, have some of the highest rates in the world. At the same time, you will see that uncircumcising countries, such as Germany, Sweden, Finland, Japan etc. have HIV rates as low or lower than the Middle Eastern Muslim nations where it is 100% circumcised. The USA has a high rate of HIV but our uncircumcised Latin neighbors to the South has a much lower rate. What is up with that?

Yorkie

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
China certainly hasn't been the most proactive when it comes to HIV prevention, however, your conspiracy theory sounds a little far-fetched.

China's one child policy means that in the next 4 decades China will be worse off than Europe when it comes to demographics. The elderly population is skyrocketing and there simply won't be enough workers to support them.

India is the country that faces far worse population pressures, they're very far behind China economically.
The Chinese government insists the policy has to remain "for many more years" ,I just found this news report on how people are beating the system.The population problem continues.

BBC NEWS | World | Asia-Pacific | Chinese challenge one-child policy

HorsemanUK

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
:smile: BETTER GET IT CUT!!
China not ready for circumcision to stop AIDS
Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:37 PM ET

By Ben Blanchard
BEIJING (Reuters) - China is still looking at evidence that male circumcision can play an important role in fighting the spread of AIDS and is not currently considering such a campaign, a senior health official said on Friday.
Late last year, researchers in the United States and Africa said that circumcising men cut their risk of being infected with the AIDS virus in half, and could prevent hundreds of thousands or even millions of new infections globally.
Circumcising men worked so well that the researchers stopped two large clinical trials in Kenya and Uganda to announce the results, although they cautioned that the procedure does not make men immune to the virus.
"We have already noticed these reports from Africa," Ru Xiaomei, deputy director general of China's National Population and Family Planning Commission, told Reuters in an interview.
"But the AIDS situation in China has not yet reached such a large scale (as in Africa)," she said.
China's family planning authorities, with decades of experience at promoting contraception, are increasingly being drafted into the country's fight against AIDS.
In China, which has an estimated 650,000 people living with HIV, the virus is gradually spreading from high-risk groups like intravenous drug users to the general population via sex.
"I'm not yet totally certain about the evidence for circumcision," Ru said. "We should exercise caution."
Circumcision rates are low in China compared to Asian countries like South Korea or Japan, where the foreskin is often removed at birth for hygiene reasons, or Muslims in countries like Indonesia who practice it for religious reasons.
China's Muslim minority, concentrated in the far western region of Xinjiang, likewise circumcise their male children, normally as they reach puberty.
That could perhaps mean a wider campaign in China would run into cultural problems and opposition from the non-Muslim majority, said Ru, a medical doctor by training,
"There's a problem with cost too," she added, in a country with the world's largest population - 1.3 billion people. "It would be a big deal. It's much more reasonable to get people to use condoms."
A U.S. National Institutes of Health study in Kisumu, Kenya, involving 2,784 men aged 18 to 24 showed a 53 percent reduction of HIV infections in circumcised men compared to uncircumcised men. A parallel study involving 4,996 men aged 15 to 49 in Rakai, Uganda, showed circumcised men were 48 percent less likely than uncircumcised men to become infected.
Experts say the reduced HIV risk may be because cells on the inside of the foreskin, the part of the penis cut off in circumcision, are particularly susceptible to HIV infection. HIV also may survive better in a warm, wet environment like that found beneath a foreskin.

what a bunch of BS :cool:

amiegrrl

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Anything better than educating the public and committing to actually finding a cure, eh?

It makes doctors and drug manufacturers much richer to treat AIDS patients than it would to cure them. Unfortunately, I don't think anyone will "find" the cure for AIDS or cancer any time soon.

patrick9999

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
I'm uncut and wear a condom when having sex - my choice.

I can see how being cut may reduce the chance of STD's but does not in anyway eliminate it.

I guess what I'm saying is if people are going to practice unsafe sex, lack of a foreskin sure as hell isn't going to protect them - obviously.

Now, I'd also like to say that I've been blamed for flaming people for advocating safe sex. That is no way accurate. I called out a poster for condemning another member's assumed lifestyle.

I would bet that if they kept count in the U.S. as to how many uncut men as opposed to cut men had contacted aids they would find more cut men had aids than uncut. Why because in the U.S. most men are cut. The medical field hasn't found a cure for aids so now they must find a scape goat to blame. Sometimes I get the feeling that those in control don't want a cure for aids. Maybe this is the way the World Health Organization gets a grip on world population control. We are not in control here people.

I had read this somewhere and I too vocalized it in a later post. I think there is an American medical influence in all of this that seems hell bent at pushing this agenda for circumcision. Then they swirl it all over the lazy American news for the uninformed (has anyone watched Idiocracy) and then they simply just connect the dots by saying cut foreskin avoid HIV.

JonahLovesMoby

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
This false premise that circumcision reduces contraction of AIDS is disgusting. It is a last desperate attempt to justify butchering male babies. People have been seeing that this practice is simply child mutilation, and circumcision is on the decrease. Those who wish to continue it will make ANY argument now apparently.

Uncutsouthernboy

Superior Member
Media
Funny thing, when you look at the list of countries and their respective rank as to number of AIDS cases, The highest rate is in a 100% uncircumcised African country. (I can not remember the name of this tiny country that has a royal edict against circumcision). There are Muslim (100% circumcised) countries in Africa, such as Gambia, that have rates almost as high as non Muslim uncircumcised countries. The lowest rates are found in the Muslim Middle East. Oddly enough, uncircumcised countries such as Germany, Denmark, Sweden, Japan etc have comparably low rates of HIV infection. The USA has a relatively high rate and had a high rate of circumcision. Mexico has a relatively low rate of HIV infection AND a very low rate of circumcision.

It seems to me that something else is at play here, not the lack or presence of a foreskin.

B_dxjnorto

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
It seems to me that something else is at play here, not the lack or presence of a foreskin.
Here's what's going on southernboy. I'll just post the link to another thread from a few months back because I posted links to several articles there that help connect the dots a lot better than 19th century medicine, foregone conclusions and U.S. commercial interests in circumcision devices, erectile dysfunction drugs and personal lubricants:

http://www.lpsg.org/the-healthy-penis/39651-circumcision-reduces-hiv-risk-6.html?#post734990

Mr._dB

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Considering how many people there are who were circumcised at birth and have still contracted HIV, this seems like junk science to me.

pheulio

Just Browsing
Media
masturbation is a 'hands-on' approach to solve this HIV problem and has not been expressed enough, skin or not.

B_IanTheTall

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I have noticed that all almost all of these article/findings are based on "research" done in the third and developing world. It is well known that soap and running water are in short supply there. Since circumcision is elective surgery there, it stands that only the well off families have their sons circumcised. It's about economic status and accessibility to information.