Newspaper slump deepens as 2Q ad sales fall 29 pct

Discussion in 'Politics' started by faceking, Aug 28, 2009.

1. faceking

faceking Well-Known Member

Albums:
    Newspaper slump deepens as 2Q ad sales fall 29 pct - Yahoo! Finance

Dawwwwwwwwwwwwwwww. Maybe if you weren't polarizing this country w/ liberal headlines and article choices... you wouldn't be so much in the shitter. Quit blaming the internet too... your online visit statistics are even worse.

We depended on you for unbiased coverage and got the opposite. Good riddance... just with the AP would go next. Then NPR, but the gov't funds that propaganda machine. (sarcasm there, but not that far off).

2. lucky8

Gold Member

a dying industry in a dead economy...technology has killed the newspaper industry, nothing they can really do about it except adapt, which is proving to be very difficult

3. Zeuhl34

Gold Member

Albums:
    If this were a murder trial, and the newspaper industry was the victim, I believe that the internet would absolutely be found guilty of the murder. FaceKing, don't blame a liberal slant in newspapers, either. There are plenty of conservative (and centrist, I'm sure) paper that are undoubtedly struggling as well.

Think of it this way: Would you rather drop $1 on a newspaper, or read the exact same content for free? (and also be able to skip stuff you may not read) If people didn't want (seemingly, to them) "liberal headlines and article choices," they could read the WSJ or Washington Times (I think that's the conservative one that starts with "Washington"). Furthermore, their websites wouldn't necessarily do too well either because most of their news stories (not commentators and columnists) come from the AP, which is where your article came from. I'm also sure that article will run in plenty of papers tomorrow. People can get their AP new stories from a variety of sources (Yahoo! and a number of ISP homepages, which people are more likely to visit than, say, the WSJ's or Chicago Tribune's website.) And when people want opinions, they can just turn to their favorite blogger. Or they can flip on the TV and watch Fox News or MSNBC.

So don't blame newspapers' decline on idealogy; blame it on being unable to adapt particularly well to new technologies.

4. agnslz

Gold Member

You assume all newspapers are liberal. My hometown paper certainly is not.

5. mynameisnobody

mynameisnobody New Member

I could see the writing on the wall when that staple of supermarket checkouts, the Weekly World News, dropped its print edition. A sad day indeed for those who appreciated the latest news about Bat Boy or 600 pound babies. You just can't get headlines like "Aliens Abduct Cheerleaders" anywhere else.

There is still an online edition (at Weekly World News|The World’s Only Reliable News!) but somehow it's just not the same.

6. agnslz

Gold Member

I guess I'm in the minority, but I'd die if I didn't have a newspaper to wake up to and read every morning. Life just wouldn't be the same. I've had a newspaper subscription in my name since I was sixteen. Before that, I used to read a newspaper every day in school through the Newspapers In Education program. And on Sundays my family always bought the newspaper for as long as I can remember, mostly for the specials and coupons, but I always read the news portion as well. In fact, I've always liked to read the newspaper in its entirety, from the front page to the inserts.

And, even though my local paper is conservative, I'd certainly never wish for it to die.

7. Cowabanga

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I canceled the newspaper when an independent reporter reported that 1,000 people showed up for a protest against the war and were tear gas, right in front of the newspaper headquarter, and the next day the paper reported that only 200 showed up and no-one got hurt.

My brother-in-law canceled the paper after the same paper reported that Obama followers were much like the germans that followed Hitler. Fanatics liberal were surmounting a takeover, and yet who carried a freaking gun to a town hall meetings??

Newspaper in all of the major city are own by 6 Republican corporation. Rupert Murdock just decided that he will be charging people access to the internet news. It wont matter to me, because I get my news outside the state. The Oregonian tried to give the newspaper away free, and the numbers are declining for even that! So that tells me that, advertiser are not getting a draw anymore. That how bad the service for the news have been. Even in the old folks retirement community don't want to read the Oregonian. If you cant get the older generation interest in the newspaper, than the news really suck!

8. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

Bullshit.
    Top 15 Most Popular News Websites
    USA TODAY Remains Top-Selling Newspaper in the United States - Entertainment News - redOrbit

More people get their news online than in print form.
    USA Today gets 18.5 Million hits per month plus an additional 13.1 Million inbound links on their website and is currently the 5th most visited news site on the internet (right behind the New York Times). How many people buy their news paper? With a daily circulation of 2 million per day, not very many. But it is almost 25% more than the WSJ and nearly double the NYT.

And how about the New York Times, the 4th most visited news site on the internet? At 33.7 Million inbound links and 14.7 complete monthly visitors, you can see that more people are willing to get their news online than in their print form.

But I guess the internet is just another corrupt, liberal tool where everything you read (including on the Fox News website that is currently the 11th most viewed news site on the internet) is liberally biased. STFU. :rolleyes:

#8 B_VinylBoy, Aug 28, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2009
  9. Industrialsize

Staff Member Moderator Gold Member

Albums:
    I read all of my "newspapers" online...........It doesn't leave black ink smudges on your fingers.

10. D_Stanford Dedwillie III

Was the paper wrong?

11. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

Do you believe everything you see in print?
    1+1=3
    The sun revolves around the Earth.
    T-Pain can sing without Auto Tune.

12. houtx48

Gold Member

newspapers are in a period of transition, like movie theaters fifty years ago, not sure where they will end up but they will still be newspapers of that I'm sure.

13. Industrialsize

Staff Member Moderator Gold Member

Albums:
    I predict we will see wide spread charges to read online content of "newspapers"

14. D_Penruddick Middlefinger

D_Penruddick Middlefinger Account Disabled

Print ad sales are down in general and have been in a death spiral for awhile. I cover 40 private equity/debt investments at work, including many publishers of non-political content. They exhibit the exact same trends. It's economic uncertainty and sales that drives Corp. Ad spend, not headline content.

Draft saved Draft deleted