Next up: Selling a $3.6 trillion budget to Congress

Discussion in 'Politics' started by D_Ireonsyd_Colonrinse, Mar 25, 2009.

1. D_Ireonsyd_Colonrinse

President Obama at his second prime-time news conference:

"We've got to make some tough budgetary choices. What we can't do, though, is sacrifice long-term growth, investments that are critical to the future. And that's why my budget focuses on health care, energy, education -- the kinds of things that can build a foundation for long-term economic growth, as opposed to the fleeting prosperity that we've seen over the last several years."

--------------------

This $3.6 trillion budget proposal is facing opposition from republicans on Capitol Hill ("too expensive", "irresponsible"), who are furiously re-writing it as we speak.

Obama's proposals are projected to create a $7 to $9.3 trillion national debt during the next 10 years.

From ABC News: The four key pillars contained in his budget proposal are health care, energy reform, education and deficit reduction.

Glenn Beck (on Fox News): "So let's see, here is the budget that has been submitted now. In 1996 we had a $1.6 trillion budget. In 1999 we had a $1.8, 2000 with President Clinton was $1.9. Then the first budget of Bush was $2.0, then $2.2, then $2.3, then $2.4, then $2.7, then $2.77, then $2.9. We are now, we are now looking at $3.6 trillion."

(Glenn Beck was actually kind of funny, in his smarmy way: "$634 billion as a down payment to cover the cost of universal healthcare coverage? We don't have universal healthcare! We don't have it. What do you mean a "down payment" on universal healthcare? We don't have it! So why are we saving up for it? And it is a reserve fund for healthcare. This guy is so arrogant that he's just going to start saving up the money now for universal healthcare. You know what? I know you are not going to put it in a bank account. You are going to spend it just like we do everything else. When we go to the bank, we'll just go, where's that $634 billion? And you'll say, "Oh, I had to use that on some other stuff, but there's an IOU in there.")

Glenn Beck did say something useful: "Thomas Jefferson said it is a crime to do this, to take from the next generation."

But what's a country - whose healthcare system has been neglected for so long (with spiralling costs intertwined to the current economic mess); whose lack of renewable energy sources have made us hop into bed with Saudi Arabia, Pakistan and Iran; whose infrastructure: roads, schools, bridges, parks, are in desperate need of repair (thus, their inclusion in the stimulus package) - to do?

As I see it, Obama's priorities are common-sensical. The "bigger picture" of combatting future recessions is to invest in healthcare and alternative energy sources now. I'm glad we've elected a big-picture guy. Conservatives can bitch now and thank us later.

2. B_Nick4444

B_Nick4444 New Member

sound reasons for all, except health-care

3. javyn

javyn New Member

Albums:
    All of these things are necessary and I applaud Obama for that. Our country is in dire need of an infrastructure update. As far as these programs getting us out of the recession, hell no, it's just going to make things worse. Of course, as Americans we don't care about all that stuff when things are going well, we only want it when the economy is about to tank so, whatever.

Nice try Obama, but as far as I'm concerned, too little, too late. I'm afraid we are past the point of doing anything productive. As a society we should have been worrying about all this years ago, but instead we focused on greed and partisan quackery so we are getting what we deserve right now.

I love America, but I fucking hate Americans. I'm actually starting to welcome a depression, it might jolt the idiots here back to reality. We seem to shine as a people when things are rough, but we completely fail at success.

4. Flashy

Gold Member

you can say what you like about what the republicans and conservatives are doing and bitching, but the fact is, what is at the moment causing the obstacles is the fact that CONSERVATIVE DEMOCRATS are balking at the proposal and are opposing at as well as the Republicans. You can frame it as starkly partisan as you have or you can acknowledge the truth that several very prominent deficit hawk conservative democrats, like Evan Bayh, Conrad,

You can say that the republicans are "rewriting furiously" but the fact is that Senate Budget Chairman Kent Conrad (ND - D) has already furiously re-written his version, and plenty of conservative democrats have no intention of voting for this bill as is or even close.

14 conservative Senate democrats met last week, all of whom are against the exorbitant spending contained in the bill.

the bigger picture of "combatting future recessions" is irrelevant, because recessions are natural part of the economy, not a future result of someone combatting them in their budget. Recessions are cyclical economic events, not static occurrences that can be simply avoided 8 years beforehand.

as for the cap and trade system, already house and senate democrats are not incorporating it into their proposed budget plans.

so, once again, the republicans are not the only ones furiously rewriting and opposing it.

This bill will succeed or fail based on the conservative democrats *NOT* the republicans

5. tripod

Gold Member

Albums:
    Well, the conservative Democrats are under pressure from their conservative constituents to oppose the bill. I don't know enough about the bill to say really anything about it... the cap and trade road is precarious and full of dangers. I believe that a cap and trade program can work, but it is very difficult to protect the consumer from price hikes and it would require legislation (that congress does not have the balls to pass) to do so.

All of those fuckers are looking to the next election. It's too bad (or maybe good?) that the Democrat's huge win meant winning seats in conservative areas and purple states. They had to know that this was coming.

Evan Bayh operates as a Republican pretty much, I have always found him to be one of the Democrats to keep your eye on.

I don't know if Bayh is doing the right thing or not, this financial shit is so way over my head and I am getting to the point where I don't know which end is up.

6. sparky11point5

sparky11point5 New Member

Will --

I love your posts, brother, but one comment. Thomas Jefferson was an intellectual giant, but he is not the founding father to look for economic advice. He never really managed to make his considerable properties profitable, spend endless amounts of money on rebuilding Monticello several times, and died over $1 million in debt (in 1824 dollars). Part of the reason why the Library of Congress got his books, was to pay off creditors. John Adams, that crusty Federalist, died on the same day, with a $1 million estate.

Yeah, and fuck the DINOs and ConservaDems.

7. faceking

faceking Well-Known Member

Albums:
    I shake my head at this mad rush (while the ratings and honeymoon glaze are both high) to squeeze all these crazy proposals. The economic stimulus I understand (despite LESS THAN 5% actually a stimulus), but what the hell is this bozo going to do for the next couple years...

... duh, a bunch of town hall, TV appearances, and PR campaigns.

8. faceking

faceking Well-Known Member

Albums:
    Many of the greatest economists were awful at personal finances... even modern day folk have spouses and personal assistants manage checkbooks.

9. D_Ireonsyd_Colonrinse

Ok.... to touch base...

Obama took his budget personally to Capitol Hill today to "shop" his plan to those skeptical blue dog dems.

Now, let's go to ABC News for details ---

---------------------

Congressional Dems: Budget Will Include Obama's Priorities

Looks like it won't be such a tough budget fight for President Obama after all. After meeting with him this afternoon, Senate Democrats expressed optimism that the budget that passes through the Senate will retain the president's key provisions. Obama took his budget campaign to the Hill today to discuss his $3.6 trillion budget face to face with some skeptical Democrats, a day after he addressed the nation in a prime-time news conference.

Democratic leaders emerged from the 45-minute lunch expressing confidence that they will be able to work with the White House on provisions the president wants included. The Senate will "protect President Obama's priorities -- education, energy, health care, middle class tax relief and cut the deficit in half," said Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev. "We have attempted to preserve -- and I think have preserved -- the president's key priorities," said Kent Conrad, D-N.D., the chairman of the Senate Budget Committee "All those are possible to move forward in the budget resolution I've written." Reid said the budget will be passed next week.

--------------------

Obama wins this one. All his key provisions will be included. There will be no fight (so it seems). Budget to pass next week (so it seems). We'll see what the final tally is then.

#9 D_Ireonsyd_Colonrinse, Mar 25, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2009
  10. VeeP

Gold Member

Albums:
    hope no one gets too comfortable with their "middle class tax cut"...

11. sargon20

Gold Member

How hard can it be? Bush sold a bogus war to the whole world except France. Then again King George had the rubber stamp Republican Congress on his side thanks to the convicted felon ex-House leader Tom 'The Hammer' DeLay who kept every Republican in lock step.

#11 sargon20, Mar 25, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2009
  12. D_Ireonsyd_Colonrinse

sargon:

I take it you didn't buy Tom Delay's non-bestseller, "No Retreat, No Surrender: One American's Fight" (Foreward by Rush Limbaugh, Preface by Sean Hannity).

13. sargon20

Gold Member

Yeahhh roger that. I can see the results of Tom Delay and his drone's Disaster Capitalism every day in the paper. I don't need to read a book about it.

Draft saved Draft deleted