NFL Player gunned down in home.

RupinX

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
if we outlaw guns, then only outlaws will have guns, yada yada yada.

"guns dont kill people; people kill people...but the gun helps" - eddie izzard

like Osiris said, what did he do to "deserve" this...and please note the quotes there...no one deserves to be shot, but somewhere along the line he must've pissed off someone, and they felt revenge was needed...the main article mentioned he has a history of waving around guns, so maybe it came back at him...this might even turn away from a guns issue into more of a "what the fuck is wrong with pro athletes" issue...half the cincinnati bengals have been arrested in the past few years...pacman jones beats up strippers...darrent williams was shot & killed in a driveby after "an altercation" in a club...hell, ray lewis killed a guy (maybe)...and mike vick is a whole different world...im not saying athletes should be choir boys, but cmon...and i dont mean to be turning the conversation this way, but i just have a feeling its gonna go there.

My reason for posting this thread wasn't to try and suggest that the wonderful law abiding Mama's boy Sean Taylor was innocently gunned down. But rather that it is pretty pathetic the current status of gun violence in the US. So bad that it seems to be happening more and more to star athletes. And I just find it surprising that the more incidents of school shootings, armed robberies, drive bys, and random killings occur, the more a certain percentage of people in the country feel more set on protecting their right to owning a gun.

odd_fish_9

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Honestly, how often do you hear of a citizen that defended and protected his family against criminals thanks to the gun he owned?
A couple of hundred times a year.

You have to look for 'em; the anti-gun MSN doesn't put the stories on page 1.
On the contrary, how often do you hear of a kid who accidently blew his face off with Daddy's gun? Or who took it to school and shot up the place?
A couple of times a year. Most of the school stories are the same goddamn one, over and over - the press can't get enough of it.

If you're arguing that kids shouldn't have guns, you'll have a hard time finding anyone who disagrees.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
odd_fish_9 :biggrin1: Good rebuttal, I like you. :cool:

I totally hear you on that one. But I mean you have to ask yourself (which I am sure you have), what is the reason to own a gun? To kill things. I agree that the problem goes much deeper than guns themselves, but I just wonder why people are so concerned about protecting a law that really only encourages violent crimes.
Honestly, how often do you hear of a citizen that defended and protected his family against criminals thanks to the gun he owned?

On the contrary, how often do you hear of a kid who accidently blew his face off with Daddy's gun? I blame dad for not properly storing the gun in a locked cabinet and not teaching the child to respect guns. Or who took it to school and shot up the place?
As I mentioned previously, the people who go on shooting rampages are almost always found to have a history of mental illness. Perhaps if we fixed that problem first, the gun law would cease to be an issue.

Believe it or not I hear it quite often, but you need to be in the areas or around the people where a shooting might occur (ie low income urban areas)
...ROTFLMAO :biggrin1: The majority of school shootings in the USA have taken place in rural or suburban white neighborhoods. NOT urban environments. but I believe you are missing the point. Its too late to outlaw guns... didnt work for drugs, wont work for weapons.
Apples and oranges, recreational drug use has never been covered/condoned by the constitution.

odd_fish_9

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
And I just find it surprising that the more incidents of school shootings, armed robberies, drive bys, and random killings occur, the more a certain percentage of people in the country feel more set on protecting their right to owning a gun.
It's when fundamantal civil rights are under assault that they need to be protected. This is true for any civil right. Fortunately, that "certain percentage of people" is a very large percentage of people.

RupinX

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
MS]Apples and oranges, recreational drug use has never been covered/condoned by the constitution.[/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Exactly because it was not something even thought of 230 years ago. In the same way that random household shootings and modern day gun violence never was. I tend to think that is George, Ben, and Tom were around today after they rip their wigs off in shock, they would unanimously agree that this was not what they had in mind.

RupinX

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
It's when fundamantal civil rights are under assault that they need to be protected. This is true for any civil right. Fortunately, that "certain percentage of people" is a very large percentage of people.

So you don't think that there will ever be a time when certain "fundamental civil rights" need to be reviewed?

Osiris

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
You ask why there is so much more gun violence? That is simple to answer:

Idiots like Taylor and these other sports stars making millions, still running around like it's Tombstone and glamorizing the outlaw life.

Parents so obsessed with making more and more that they forget to spend time involved with their kids. Check into what is going on at school. Hell, just TALK TO YOUR KIDS!

A society that hero worships the likes of John Gotti instead of police officers who protect our lives. Gotti shouldn't be worshipped. He was a mobster. He stole. He killed. Enough said.

Asking why this is happening? Just turn on a TV, radio, or pick up a paper. It's all there.

As long as we still glamorize

B_tallbig

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

Idiots like Taylor and these other sports stars making millions, still running around like it's Tombstone and glamorizing the outlaw life.

Parents so obsessed with making more and more that they forget to spend time involved with their kids. Check into what is going on at school. Hell, just TALK TO YOUR KIDS!

A society that hero worships the likes of John Gotti instead of police officers who protect our lives. Gotti shouldn't be worshipped. He was a mobster. He stole. He killed. Enough said.

Asking why this is happening? Just turn on a TV, radio, or pick up a paper. It's all there.

I agree our society is backwards. Good people are ignored and bad guys are glorified.

Osiris

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Someone is shot and hurt and it becomes an N.R.A. rant. What kind of man he was and so on. Very sad.

The shooting is sad my friend, but this wasn't solely about Taylor being shot. Rupin was voicing his irritation at the amount of shootings and that is where I came from with my response.

Hopefully you know me well enough by now to know that I feel any life snuffed out in violence is a loss that is sad. This is sad, just not tragic.

RupinX

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Someone is shot and hurt and it becomes an N.R.A. rant. What kind of man he was and so on. Very sad.

Thank you!! My point exactly. Every time there is gun violence for some peculiar reason that percentage of the population gets very defensive about their right to a gun. Baffles me.

(Waiting for the "it is not about guns, but about taking away our rights" speech).

RupinX

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
The shooting is sad my friend, but this wasn't solely about Taylor being shot. Rupin was voicing his irritation at the amount of shootings and that is where I came from with my response.

Hopefully you know me well enough by now to know that I feel any life snuffed out in violence is a loss that is sad. This is sad, just not tragic.

Osiris, I hear you and agree with what you say about parents being better parents. I also think their needs to be more discipline taught at a young age in households and schools.

However, regardless of how vocal parents are, if a kid chooses to drink underage that is one thing. Packin' a gun is on a completely different level. So wouldn't be better if that option were just completely eliminated?

Mr. Snakey

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response

I know. Your point and Rupin's are well taken. I didnt know who this guy was. Im not a fan of Football. I just came from the point of view os someone being shot.

SpeedoGuy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I agree our society is backwards. Good people are ignored and bad guys are glorified.

Of course. Glorifying thug culture. Has anyone ever seen a sports team named "The Oakland Nice Guys" or the "Tampa Bay Responsible Fathers?"

I don't think we will anytime soon.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Of course. Glorifying thug culture. Has anyone ever seen a sports team named "The Oakland Nice Guys" or the "Tampa Bay Responsible Fathers?"
I don't think we will anytime soon.
Hahaha :biggrin1:

Osiris, I hear you and agree with what you say about parents being better parents. I also think their needs to be more discipline taught at a young age in households and schools. Leave the schools out of it they have enough to do!
However, regardless of how vocal parents are, if a kid chooses to drink underage that is one thing. Packin' a gun is on a completely different level. So wouldn't be better if that option were just completely eliminated?
Isn't that the same as the theory behind abstinence education over safe sex?:confused:

PREACH IT! You speak the truth and nothing but Rev. Osiris.

So you don't think that there will ever be a time when certain "fundamental civil rights" need to be reviewed?
God I hope not! :eek: If they do I may lose the right to vote or drink out of the same water fountain as Uncut or SpeedoGuy!

Mr. Snakey

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Thank you!! My point exactly. Every time there is gun violence for some peculiar reason that percentage of the population gets very defensive about their right to a gun. Baffles me.

(Waiting for the "it is not about guns, but about taking away our rights" speech).
No. Someone should have the right to own a gun if they want. I have had many guns over the years. I dont like them in my house and i am down to one and its not mine. Its about rights. It is her right to own and have one. If this man were stabbed would we be talking about Knifes in such a manor? Its the law. Im against Abortion. Its also the law that a woman can have one if she wants too. So im for whatever the Law is. Interesting that Guns and Abortion kill people. I dont like either.

RupinX

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
[

Isn't that the same as the theory behind abstinence education over safe sex?:confused:

Hardly. If guns were not so easy to get, actually using one harmfully would become less of a reality for a minor (or an adult for that matter). Which is why in Europe or Japan (where I live) gun violence is virtually unheard of. The urge to have sex is something that every human being is born with. Finding a partner to have sex with with is a natural instinct that is supposed to happen (although recently in my case I question that :tongue:)

God I hope not! :eek: If they do I may lose the right to vote or drink out of the same water fountain as Uncut or SpeedoGuy!

I am not talking about changes that makes us digress as a society. In the past there have been great proposed amendments for our constitution for the betterment of society i.e. reproductive rights for women, to establish the right to a home etc...considering the slaughtering happening on our streets, perhaps it wouldn't be such a bad idea to consider some type of an amendment in regards to gun ownership.