NFL Player gunned down in home.

Osiris

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
You are probably right to be honest. I was given a gun (4-10 rifle) when I was about 8-10 years old. God knows why I hated the thing, but I was taught how to use it. I was a country boy so we didn't just pop down to Wal-mart and by a gun..it was for hunting

OK, you see my point about rural gun users, it also is not so easy to go to Wal-Mart and buy a gun. And for the record, I am well aware no one shoots a deer with a handgun which is why I said some weapons and not all weapons. The gun problem in this country is not as much the fault of legitimate retailers as it is the amount of illegal weapons on the street. I would bet you the gun that killed Taylor was bought illegally. As I said earlier in this thread, until the authorities go after the people who supply the gang members and thugs with guns, gun control is a joke.

I also understand there are people like you who do not like guns. I respect that which is why I do not agree with the NRA and their tactics of forcing guns on everyone.

I think it would be safe to say both SpeedoGuy and I are of the same mindset. We own guns, we do not agree with the over zealous twits in the NRA, and we see that the war on guns is failing, but you have no business making remarks about a goverment system that your only knowledge may only be via what you see on the BBC. Now if you have lived in the US, I welcome your first hand take on the gun problem, but don't insult an amendment that in my opinion may need updating, but is far from needing to be fully irradicated.

I'm not sure I'm convinced that rural people necessarily have more respect for firearms than urbanites. Day-to-day familiarity? Yes. Respect? Arguable.

I've seen plenty of cases of careless use of firearms by country folk: Innumerable shot up rural road signs, gates and property, shotgun shells and empty casings (and beer cans) left to rust around campgrounds and hunting spots, firearms left loaded around children, shooting too close to populated areas, campgrounds and highways, etc. And, worst, a friend of mine who was mountain biking was shot and killed by a hung over elk hunter who didn't know what he was aiming at.

I'm not saying country folk are all wise about the usage However if someone is killed in the rural areas by a gun, it is usually accidental and not intentional as a vast majority of urban shootings seem to be. I know I had a better respect for shotguns and hunting rifles. I have a hand gun and a coupld of hunting rifles. I haven't put them into practical use for some years. I will use them at the range, bt that is about it these days.

As I said, Ed69 has addressed this before and he is a good example of a rural raised man who knew the value and dangers of firearms and he has passed that along to his children.

Guns we can attempt to control. Idiocy we can't.

_avg_

Sexy Member
Media
To those opposed to reviewing fundamental civil rights:
If there was not such a review, most of you would not be allowed to vote.

To those advocating a repeal of the 2nd Ammendment:
If there was not such an Ammendment, most of you would not be allowed to vote.

A "government of the people, by the people" makes "the people" of each generation responsible for determining their self-rule and what's best for that end. "The law" should not be treated as sacred simply because a previous generation had enacted, but it should inform the current generation (at least). The 2nd Ammendment had more relevence in revolutionary times, when the citizens were fighting against oppressive rule, but that's a threat that never goes away -- it can only be reduced through due diligence and responsible citizenry.

Sadly, I fear we ("the people") have not learned this lesson.

Outlawing guns is not just a bad idea, it's too late (as someone said). It's now time for better ideas: gun violence is a symptom, addressing the cause is what is now needed.

Osiris

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response

A "government of the people, by the people" makes "the people" of each generation responsible for determining their self-rule and what's best for that end. "The law" should not be treated as sacred simply because a previous generation had enacted, but it should inform the current generation (at least). The 2nd Ammendment had more relevence in revolutionary times, when the citizens were fighting against oppressive rule, but that's a threat that never goes away -- it can only be reduced through due diligence and responsible citizenry.

Outlawing guns is not just a bad idea, it's too late (as someone said). It's now time for better ideas: gun violence is a symptom, addressing the cause is what is now needed.

The screen name says _avg_, but the knowledge and logic are anything but. Well put friend.

BigDuder

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I retract my prior statement on this. This isn't tragic, it's karma biting another idiot in the butt. The Cosa Nostra's motto fit's here:

Live by the sword, die by the sword

Yes it is tragic that people think this way Rupin, but what do you expect? Look at the crap he has done. Violence begets violence. You live that big balling, criminal lifestyle, you pay for it somewhere. Maybe we can hope his children will avoid their father's path of crime.

His felony was for chasing down the punks who stole his car and beating them senesless. His drunk driving arrest, while a sign of immaturity, happened to him as a youth. He is the son of a police chief and I would hardly call two instances, one not even containing violence, a "life of crime". Even if he was a thug, his death is tragic.

"No man is an island, entire of itself; every
man is a piece of the continent, a part of the
main. If a clod be washed away by the sea,
Europe is the less, as well as if a promontory
were, as well as if a manor of thy friend's or
of thine own were: any man's death diminishes
me, because I am involved in mankind, and
therefore never send to know for whom the bells
tolls; it tolls for thee."

John Donne
Devotions upon
Emergent Occasions, no. 17
(Meditation)
1624 (published)

BigDuder

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
We real cool. We
Left school. We
Lurk late. We
Strike straight. We
Sing sin. We
Thin gin. We
Jazz June. We
Die soon.

Osiris

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
His felony was for chasing down the punks who stole his car and beating them senesless. His drunk driving arrest, while a sign of immaturity, happened to him as a youth. He is the son of a police chief and I would hardly call two instances, one not even containing violence, a "life of crime". Even if he was a thug, his death is tragic.

"No man is an island, entire of itself; every
man is a piece of the continent, a part of the
main. If a clod be washed away by the sea,
Europe is the less, as well as if a promontory
were, as well as if a manor of thy friend's or
of thine own were: any man's death diminishes
me, because I am involved in mankind, and
therefore never send to know for whom the bells
tolls; it tolls for thee."

John Donne
Devotions upon
Emergent Occasions, no. 17
(Meditation)
1624 (published)

OK, his "crimes" may not have been that major, but he was known for being less than sportsmanlike on the field. He also gives creedence to some degree to the "I am in the NFL and I can do anything" belief by his attitude on the field.

Don't get me wrong, as I have said any loss of life is tragic, but given the fact this was the second break in at his hose in as many weeks, something was up there. Whether it was due to anything Taylor was doing or not, there was some really bad juju around this guy.

May he rest peacefully and may the police find whoever was stalking him out.

RupinX

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

Well said, amen!

Osiris

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
yes having penalties for seven late hits in three years makes you a bad person

OK my well hung Missouri conscience :biggrin1:, one of Sean Taylor's best friends says it best. I'm not trying to down on the guy, but we all have a past and sometimes no matter how much we try to escape it, it keeps following us. Yes Sean Taylor's dad was a cop, but that doesn't make him a saint. We all know that if you wanted sex from the wildest girl in town, seek out the minister's daughter (age old High School stereotype, but using it to make a point). See what his life long friend has to say:

Rolle: Taylor was targeted

Ex-Miami teammate says friend lived in constant fear

I'm not saying Taylor is a bad person and I'm not saying he deserved what happened. What I am saying is it's a damn shame that this guy had a great break given to him. He is getting his life together and because of a youthful bad choice and some flipping morons, he has his life taken over what probably was nothing more than some punk trying to make street cred.

Yeah, I'm pissed when I think of the hurt his family will have to endure as they try to tell that baby why she will never know her father who is a good man.

Now do you see where I'm coming from?