NHL-Who's going to win the Stanley Cup?

ital8

Experimental Member
Media
I know it may be a little too early to decide who may win considering playoffs don't start until another month and a half, roughly. But who do you think are the likely contenders. I'm biased and will say that the NJ Devils will take it all the way. But I think that some other teams like Buffalo, Ottawa, Anaheim, Vancouver, and Detroit will have a good shot at it, too. Then again, once playoffs start it's anyone's game as even an eighth seeded team (take Edmonton from last year) can make it to the finals.

giantsfrey

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
i called Anaheim and Buffalo from day 1, but now i'm not so sure. buffalo's injuries are getting serious so maybe a team like the devils could pull it off in the East. fuck i hate brodeur...

but in the west i can see nashville taking the cup easily now that they've got forsberg. i hate that guy too. grrrr

Jessicafawn76

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
*sad face* i wish i could say colorado avs but we all know that is a cold day in hell... So i am not going to say detroit either cause they always choke in the playoffs.. I would have to go with Anaheim...

Pumblechook

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
N...H...L... what is this voodoo that you speak of?

:rolleyes:

Hockey is actually one of the most entertaining sports to watch of them all. Unfortunately, I don't watch much of anything on TV and so hockey doesn't fit in. And in the U.S. we have waaaaaay too many frickin' sports, so hockey usually gets the very very short end and no respect.

Pumblechook

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
the wings don't ALWAYS choke in the playoffs. i remember them kicking the avs' asses a few times in the '90s :)

I remember them being all happy an excited to make the finals and completely getting demolished by the Devils in the mid 90s... of course they went on to win 3 (?) in the next few years time. Then, yes, they've been choking lately, but 1) they got old and had to 2) get an all new team different than the champion ones, so they're just going through a natural process. I guess you can't really call them chokers unless they are the #1 team every year and lose in the first round. They did that a couple years, but I don't know what they've done the last 2 or so.

transformer_99

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
After the strike year, I stopped watching this sport. Long-time Flyer fan, but let's face it, the sport was/has always been play the game for the love of it mentality, that disappeared the year the strike happened. In my lifetime, Hockey was the only sport that didn't play a full season.

Other sports that I'm fast losing interest in are the NBA, MLB and believe it or not, even the NFL. MLB for the slow pace, yeah I watch golf and it's slow, but at least they get to a champion for whatever tournament is played that weekend. The NBA, that sport has no rivalry anymore. I grew up thru the Celtics and Lakers, then the MJ era, even there the closest rivalry was the Knicks-Heat playoffs. NFL, this past season they definitely made it known there will be games that the general public won't see, the pay per view and moving it to ESPN is a move to require at least cable to watch MNF.

Anyway, Calgary is my choice, they got screwed out of the cup the year TB won it. I recall a game 6 goal, even after replay was disallowed. That was the series winner and it was taken away.

Oh the biggest thing that bugs me about pro sports, the deal Beckham got for playing US Soccer. You've gotta be kidding me, 5 year, 250+ million dollar deal ? Even when Pele played soccer for the NY Cosmos, nobody is worth that kind of money. I doubt the US Soccer league is even worth that with all the franchises combined ! LA Galaxy, can you imagine being a teammate, I'd simply sit down and let him play by himself in protest at the disparity in income. Pay him what he's worth as a player and like any other sport, if he can get endorsements to fill in the rest of the income, then so be it. Beckham to his sport isn't even comparable to Jordan, Tiger Woods and so on. Beckham wouldn't be a starter on Brazil's World Cup team last year.